Bill Roberts - Bottle of Smoke Press - Appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

Father Luke

Founding member
I just did a book by Soheyl Dahi. It was a short story, and had 26 hardcovers. They sold out in 12 hours and . . .

. . . and am I glad I got a copy.

Seriously, when I saw the book Bill made with me, I
was sick and I cried. It just hit me like that.

When I saw what Bill and Soheyl Dahi did with
their book, it affected me in the same way.

Bill: If you ever get kidnapped, I have twenty
bucks (pretty much my whole life savings!) ready
to get you out of any trouble.

The world needs you.
You are an amazing dude.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

. . . and am I glad I got a copy.
When I saw what Bill and Soheyl Dahi did with
their book, it affected me in the same way.

Got my hardback copy a few days ago.
A beautiful piece of art!

Bill: check your email addy please...

Thank you.

You guys are are the BEST. Really this forum is an amazing place. I don't normally join forums, but I have become addicted to this one. Really informative and fun with a really great group of people. Still, I have to hope that my kidnappers would settle for $40!

Really, doing these things is easy. All you need is the will to put out something of some quality production-wise coupled with great writers. I am lucky that I have writers that I think are really great and am lucky that they are willing to play with me.

I'm still hoping to see some others start up small presses. I hear rumor that at least two people on this forum are doing just that. We need more people putting out these words. Many of these great poets write more than can be published by the few publishers out there. It would be great to see these poets getting published with books all over the place, so that I have to fight for the best poems with other publishers that take their time and care about what they put out....

So thanks to the forum, the poets and the poetry patrons, the touts, the nuns, grocery clerks and you, who allow me to do this.

Bill

I'll match that forty, you cheap bastards...;)

bill roberts is a superior human being...

frankly, I felt like I'd arrived when Bill pubbed my book. it was quite a dandy experience.

now I just need to get my ass up to DE and do some printing first hand...

cc,
You arrived long before I ever heard your name.

And, you do need to get your ass to Delaware. I'm trying to get a connecting froght through Altanta for a few hours when I go to Berkley in May. I tried it last time, until the G.D. airline changed my flight the night before and made me go through Dallas. I had always said that I would NEVER set foot in that place....

Bill

well, then, I retract the "cheap" portion of my crack. but the "bastards" stays...;)

and who told you about my collection of sacks with dollar signs on em?

bill, you let me know if you get that flight thru my terrible city and my ugly nightmare of an airport (not that I own either, or would want to), and we'll have that drink...

this just in.....

Bill Roberts, publisher of Bottle of Smoke Press, has been kidnapped by Tiff.
The kidnapper is demanding that Mr. Roberts publish a chapbook and 3 broadsides of her husbands poetry. Upon publication, Tiff say Mr. Roberts will be released unharmed, although he may have a "My husbands poetry ROX!!!!!" tattoo on his forehead.
More at 11.

I got my book yesterday. Really nice job Bill. The art work is beautiful. Thanks Again.
And I too will chip in, what is it now 40 bucks, I'll chip in 40 bucks as well. well whatever it took really.
Thanks Bill, these are really special books.

I thought that I was sopposed to shill... OK Here goes.

I just ran across this great press. It ROX. I think that it is called Bottle of Smoke Press. Anyhoo, if you like Bukowski, you will love their silky smooth, smokey voiced poets.

cc,
You arrived long before I ever heard your name.

And, you do need to get your ass to Delaware. I'm trying to get a connecting froght through Altanta for a few hours when I go to Berkley in May. I tried it last time, until the G.D. airline changed my flight the night before and made me go through Dallas. I had always said that I would NEVER set foot in that place....

Please consider a "Plan B" of flying through Chicago, if it comes to that. I'll meet you at the O'Hare Hilton bar and we'll deplete their supplies a bit. If time allows, we could hop on the train and find another food & drink establishment, too.

BTW - what exactly is a "froght" ? :D

Yeah, Bill and BOSPress is good stuff. His two Bukowski publications are very nice, and he's done right by me on ordering some unique and interesting material.

Yeah, I love you all too, but there really should be an mjp appreciation thread and a cirerita appreciation thread. They have done much more for this forum.

Plus, it would be fun to see how they react to the praise.

Also, we cannot forget Hank Solo and his rainman-like abililty to find poems by being five words from the middle of a stanza....

Bill

I'm an excellent driver. I'm an excellent driver. I'm an excellent driver.

While we're 'bigging up' each other, let's not forget Father Luke for his tireless peacemaking and moderating. I don't think he ever sleeps.

Spread the love brothers and sisters :D

Mr. Roberts;
Didn't someone already make a movie by that name? Seriously, from the peanut gallery, Thank you for all of your great contributions and very good service-first class all the way. You have to remember we did a gang ass kissing for MJP on his birthday and cirerita
well....that's another reason we like you so much, you reminded us.
Thank you
The corgi's name is Bill.

well, i really only love jordan, but i really really really like most of the rest of you. and bill is definitely one of my favourites - so generous with his time and talents.

Yes, Bill's a great guy indeed! He gives a lot of poets the chance to get printed and he's a great help on the board when it comes to discussing printing matters etc. Plus, not many printers give some of their stuff away for free - and pays the postage too!

In fact, all of you regular guys here are great! Cheers...

Last edited by a moderator:
... there really should be an mjp appreciation thread and a cirerita appreciation thread.
Also, we cannot forget Hank Solo and his rainman-like abililty to find poems by being five words from the middle of a stanza....

All true!
20 bucks to the kidnappers of All of you!

I only heard about Bill's printed work.
And then one day he send me some stuff from Bottle. Now i'm waiting for Father Luke's book and for sure it will be masterpiece just like that stuff.
It's amazing for me. You just print some poets and you do it with great style.
The most beautiful thing is that you do it for poetry, for art. Not for big money.
Man, i wish that some day small press like Bottle will rise in my country.

(I would send $20 to USA too)

Bill: What should we do with the money from the
fake kidnapping? Reply to this Private Message when
you get the chance.

P.S. Don't tell anyone else about it.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

To Whom it may Concern:

Please send $40. - amerikan - to the Race Track if you want to have us release Bell Rubbertz

- -
Signed,
The KidnappErz

Bill is an exceptional human being. And I'd say that even if he had never published a word of mine. He's also an exceptional book designer and printer. All around nice guy, too.

The man's insane...in all the best ways. I'm honored to call him a friend. And BOTTLE OF SMOKE...designing & printing with him was a highlight of 2007. I can't wait to drink a few more beers, cook him some papitas, & print somethign terrific again!

Richard Krech - Within The Curtilage

Damn fine writing.
Beautiful book.

Congratulations to the both of you,
and to everyone who has a copy.

This is a treasure . . .

2741680855_863546b98e_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back