Bob Dylan lovers of the World, Unite! (2 Viewers)

hank solo

Just practicin' steps and keepin' outta the fights
Reaper Crew
Founding member
Bob Dylan on UK BBC Radio 2 (Web Player)

Hi

I know there are some Dylan fans here. He can be heard on the radio here in the UK tonight and you should be able to listen again via the BBC website. He's doing his DJ bit.

About 36 minutes into tonight's show (Dec 23) here read part of the Bukowski poem 'A Radio with Guts'. The theme of tonights programme is the Radio, with i think all the songs played referencing radio or disc jockeys etc.

About the show:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/dylan/

Listen Again:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio2_promo.shtml

See it under:

Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour - The critically acclaimed US radio show.
SUN 24 th dec
MON 25 th
SAT 23 rd

Speaking of Dylan -- someone gave me "Chronicles" for Christmas. Does anyone know if it's worth my while? Have to admit, I'm not a big fan. Not any kind of fan at all, actually, but it still might be a good read.

If I'm not mistaken, these are the shows he did for XM satellite radio, so if you have that service, you can get it domestically.

Too bad the show was only available to listeners in the UK...:(

Not sure how they are blocking that, if its done by IP or whatever.

Here's the direct link to Saturdays show for Real Player - might work:

rtsp://rmgeo.bbc.net.uk/radio2/r2_bobdylan_sat.ra

(copy the address to clipboard, open real player, click file > open and paste the address into the box, click ok)

Might not work of course :confused:

hank solo: I couldn't get the link to work but thanks anyway!

nymark: Thanks, but I don't have satellite radio...

Oh well, I'll survive...:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't survive the Los Angeles commute without my satellite radio (though I'm a Sirius type, not XM).

Here's a tip if the subscription fees are keeping you from satellite radio: on eBay you can find satellite radios being sold with lifetime subscriptions. Buy one of those and you're set. I retired my monthly-fee Sirius for one of those about half a year ago.

Speaking of Dylan -- someone gave me "Chronicles" for Christmas. Does anyone know if it's worth my while? Have to admit, I'm not a big fan. Not any kind of fan at all, actually, but it still might be a good read.
I'm a Dylan-skeptic, the man's talented but not God, and many of this more cryptic songs are overrated. But I enjoyed "Chronicles" a lot. It showed me a more humble, down-to-earth Dylan, than in his songs (and media-image). He says a lot of interesting things about song-writing, f.ex. (about folk songs) "In a couple of lines they could sing songs that were like a whole book." , This is what Buk does as well. Got me thinking there is some connection between Buk & folk-songs.

I'm looking into Guthrie at the moment. He seems stronger than Dylan to me! How about the song "Dust can't kill me"! Powerful.

Other places Dylan stumbles along in his own inflated ego-image. How about: "I had received a new ability, and it seemed to transcend all human limitations (my translation from the Norwegian).
Then again you wonder if he's being ironic when he later on says: "If I hadn't existed, someone would have to invent me."
--> This is a rewrite of Voltaire who said: "If God didn't exist, someone would have to invent him..."
D. is good at pinching lines from others ... ;)

The language seems clear and readable, at least in Norwegian. I look forward to reading it in English.

Tip: get the Dylan documentary "No Direction Home" as well... Fits the book like a glove.

Thanks very much, Erik. I've started the book and am enjoying it much more than I thought I would. It pays to have low expectations -- both with literature and with life in general.

I'm looking into Guthrie at the moment. He seems stronger than Dylan to me!
That's because Dylan started out as a Guthrie imitator, and an imitation can never be as strong as the original.

Listen to Dylan's first few records. That he had the talent to eventually transcend his Woody Guthrie imitation goes without saying, but (and I love some of Dylan's work) every time I see him I can't help thinking of the kid from Minnesota who wanted to be Woody Guthrie. ;)

Woody Guthrie wrote like Bukowski wrote, relentlessly, obsessively, and usually in a style you could hear and say, "Oh, that's Woody Guthrie," like a Bukowski poem is always a Bukowski poem.

Your two dollar shoes hurt my feet
Takes a ten dollar shoe to fit my foot

Ha, yeah man, Woody Guthrie!

Listen to Dylan's first few records. That he had the talent to eventually transcend his Woody Guthrie imitation goes without saying, but (and I love some of Dylan's work) every time I see him I can't help thinking of the kid from Minnesota who wanted to be Woody Guthrie. ;)

Dylan grew up an hour from where i live.
he wanted to be Woody Guthrie.
i want to be no one.
and there is hope for us all.

My Wife Finally Digs Dylan

I consider Bob Dylan to be right up there in the top 5 of all-time musicians/groups. Right along side Coltrane, Mingus, Monk and The Beatles (OK, let's throw King Crimson in there, but let's not tell anyone).:eek:

Anyhoo, when I first mentioned Dylan to her, she acted like I had just stuck Charles Manson's prick in her mouth. Now, she's insisting that she hear albums start to finish. I did it the right way. She's very political and into the concept of world religion, so I started with the folk stuff, moved to the punk-attitude 1966 tour, and then 1974-75 with Blood on the Tracks and Desire. Now she's jonesin' for all of it.

Who loves and hates Bob?

Love his lyrics.
As for his singing... Just do a cat up on codeine and put it in a sack... then close your eyes and you'll think Dylan is in the room... yodeling in your ear.

I love Dylan. I have over thirty of his albums and some of the Dylan bio's. The one by Sounes is good! Great that you indoctrinated your wife into Dylan-dom. Now, all you need is turning her on to Buk...:p

Btw, what's "the concept of world religion"?

I'm a Bob Dylan fan up through his mid-'70s stuff, but he completely lost me when he decided "You gotta serve somebody," and I haven't really been able to take him much since then. Also, while his voice was always a bit of an acquired taste, he sounds like a parody of himself these days.

As long as it's my religion, it's all good.

Now, all you need is turning her on to Buk...:p

She's reading Post Office as we speak. Need I say more?

All I meant about World Religion was the concept of religion and non-religion in general. She's from Alabama, but she's a pagan. Yummy.

I'm a Bob Dylan fan up through his mid-'70s stuff, but he completely lost me when he decided "You gotta serve somebody," and I haven't really been able to take him much since then. Also, while his voice was always a bit of an acquired taste, he sounds like a parody of himself these days.

As long as it's my religion, it's all good.

Yes, the late 70's shit caught us all by surprise, but i have to say; Dylan rocks mainly because he can shock us. Screw the Gotta Serve Sombody stuff. Listen to "Oh Mercy!" from 1989. Absolutely brilliant! You will not be disappointed. Equal to Blonde on Blonde, if not better. Yes, I said that.

Yes, I love spaghetti too...as does the wif.;):cool:

I love Coltrane and Monk and yeah, let's throw Crimson up there too.

Now with Dylan you got a great writer, some of his stuff is pure poetry- but as a singer, harmonica player he really loses me there.

But folks should at least realize his influence and importance.

Dylan Hell Yeah

from a french canadian background, already a rebel,
so I'd go to English pubs where they played folk music, blues joints, coffee houses in Montreal to escape being boxed in.
First heard Bob Dylan way back in the 60's.
Bought the lyrics so I could understand, loved Lightfoot.
I too, had problems with his religious awakenings but hell...
these are his ...
I believe that he is the best song writer of my generation and his observations still stand timeless.

Oh how different are we all..I too like his words, but I'd say a cat in the bag all wet no codeine, but I wish I could sing that well. He's a good guitar player too.
* If he had a pretty lounge singer voice do you think he'd sell?

* If he had a pretty lounge singer voice do you think he'd sell?

His lyrics are the best.

I think he'd have sold if he sang them in monotone... I think he'd have sold if the cat sang them... and I think he'd have sold if he'd ditched the singing altogether and just recited the lyrics... But I dunno if he'd have sold if he sang like David Gates. :D

I only saw Dylan once, on Halloween day, 1978, and I think he found JESUS about 6 months later, so I was glad to have seen him play before all the new gospel stuff started. That was kind of the beginning of the end for me. Though he pulled me back in briefly in the 80's with Infidels (with Sly and Robbie as the rhythm section), which I think is one of his most underrated records. Since then though - eh.

He got too preachy with "Slow Train Coming", "Saved" and "Shot Of Love". "Slow Train.. and "Shot Of.." did have some catchy tunes though! I think he got back to normal with the album "Time Out Of Mind". "Love And Theft" and "Modern Times" weren't too bad either. However, I do prefer his older albums before he got religion!

Part of the fascination with Dylan is that he has this amazing backstory where he seems to have lived about seven different lives, I had to read a couple books about the guy before I could appreciate his music and lyrical talent, before I had written him off as a whining folky, but that was me just being a naive metalhead

Any Dylan Fans Want Bootleg Series 1-3?

I've recently bought this on CD, so my copy of Dylan's the bootleg series 1-3 on cassette tape is now obsolete to me. I'd estimate that US shipping might be about $5 or less.

So, screw it. It's free if you want it (see disclaimer below); lemme know. The booklet is missing a picture or two, but the tapes are in great shape. This collects material from 1961-1989, with unreleased and/or alternate versions and stuff later included on live bootlegs series stuff (Carnegie Hall, 1964, for example).

So, it's yours, absolutely free (non-US residents excluded, sorry, unless you want to haggle - shipping is expensive out of here). Next time you sell me a Buk book, keep this in mind, of course. :cool:

PM me with an address if you want it.

2475775875_31b81433ab_o.jpg

I considered it. But I don't have a working cassette player right now. So a free set of tapes would have probably set me back some cash to get a cassette player. Cash I don't have. Shame. But... Eh.

Thanks Purple Stickpin

Okay.

As with all things eternal, nothing lasts forever,
and this will now change hands again.

Whose turn is it to own the Boxed Set of Dylan's
Bootleg Series 1-3 Cassettes?

2518052736_bded98f2e2_o.jpg

That's right, Bob. Free to the first to reply.

What we have is this:

2518032906_9be8fa1698_o.jpg

And it comes with the Book insert, as well. . .

Track listing

Cassette 1:

1. Hard Times In New York Town - (live)
2. He Was A Friend Of Mine
3. Man On The Street
4. No More Auction Block - (live)
5. House Carpenter
6. Talkin' Bear Mountain Picnic Massacre Blues
7. Let Me Die In My Footsteps
8. Rambling, Gambling Willie
9. Talkin' Hava Negeilah Blues
10. Quit Your Low Down Ways
11. Worried Blues
12. Kingsport Town
13. Walkin' Down The Line - (demo)
14. Walls Of Red Wing
15. Paths Of Victory
16. Talkin' John Birch Paranoid Blues - (live)
17. Who Killed Davey Moore? - (live)
18. Only A Hobo
19. Moonshiner
20. When The Ship Comes In - (demo)
21. Times They Are A-Changin', The - (demo)
22. Last Thoughts On Woody Guthrie - (live)

Cassette 2:

1. Seven Curses
2. Eternal Circle
3. Suze (The Cough Song)
4. Mama, You Been On My Mind
5. Farewell, Angelina
6. Subterranean Homesick Blues - (acoustic version)
7. If You Gotta Go, Go Now (Or Else You Got To Stay All Night)
8. Sitting On A Barbed Wire Fence
9. Like A Rolling Stone - (rehearsal version)
10. It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry - (alternate version)
11. I'll Keep It With Mine - (rehearsal version)
12. She's Your Lover Now
13. I Shall Be Released
14. Santa-Fe
15. If Not For You - (alternate version)
16. Wallflower
17. Nobody 'Cept You
18. Tangled Up In Blue - (alternate version)
19. Call Letter Blues
20. Idiot Wind - (alternate version)

Cassette 3:

1. If You See Her, Say Hello - (alternate version)
2. Golden Loom
3. Catfish
4. Seven Days - (live)
5. Ye Shall Be Changed
6. Every Grain Of Sand - (demo)
7. You Changed My Life
8. Need A Woman
9. Angelina
10. Someone's Got A Hold Of My Heart
11. Tell Me
12. Lord Protect My Child
13. Foot Of Pride
14. Blind Willie McTell
15. When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky - (alternate version)
16. Series Of Dreams

If you want to have this,
Please reply in this thread.

2518032886_efaf837bb5_o.jpg

2517214299_ebe401a486_o.jpg

This worked perfectly. I just got a free Transit #5 from Ponder, and now the Dylan stuff ends up in his hands. Damn, if the universe doesn't unfold just as it should.:cool:

I just ordered "Blood on the Tracks" by Dylan through Amazon. What's the deal? Is Columbia Records not pressing the CD any longer? (I mean, it is perhaps Dylan's best studio album). New discs are only available as import CDs.

Other'n that, I'm listening to the new DYLAN CD (a rehash of greatest hits for Columbia) and the Best of Louis Armstrong. Old Louis was at his best with just his voice, a trumpet, and a New Orleans jazz band in the background. When those idiots stuck him with bad studio musicians, strings, and an angelic chorus in the background, the recordings were awful, commercial dreck (with the possible and notable exception of "What A Beautiful World."

I just ordered "Blood on the Tracks" by Dylan through Amazon. What's the deal? Is Columbia Records not pressing the CD any longer? (I mean, it is perhaps Dylan's best studio album). New discs are only available as import CDs.

I bought Blood on the Tracks, along with several other Dylan CDs, about six months ago at Newbury Comics (gasp - a record store!). I would think that they're still being produced by Columbia.

I would agree that BotT is one of his best studio albums, although I actually prefer some of the original versions of tracks that he re-recorded at the last minute for inclusion on the album. But Idiot Wind; that's a killer tune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back