Boredom Is God's Revenge... (1 Viewer)

"Boredom Is God's Revenge..."

U2.

Band I've seen. Really, really dig "” from Boy to October to War to The Joshua Tree, and on and on.

While reading an article on both Hunter Gonzo Thompson (and Marlene Dumas, very interesting artist) in Esquire (January, 2009) "” I came across an article (Me and Mrs Jones, page 110) about Tom Jones, singer. (Liner note: it was recently priority mailed to me to read, so I'm late to the game.)

It states: "Well, Bono came up with a great line in 'Sugar Daddy' (a track the U2 star wrote for Jones's new album): 'You've got to get your hands dirty when you're digging a ditch...and boredom is God's revenge on the rich...' When I heard that, I thought, Jesus Christ! What a line!" "” Tom Jones

I'd just like some feedback on that line.

I guess I'm still stuck on, "I still haven't found what I'm looking for..." - U2/Bono

Personally, I find it: (will fill in the blank; undecided).

Pax

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a HUGE U2-fan.
but having been here for a little while, I can tell you: there aren't many around. Guess you could count them with the fingers of one hand.

Dear homeless mind, I think that line is pure philosophy and it's great!!

The myth of Atlantis says the people had achieved everything they wanted and became decadent and bored ( to death ) because there was nothing left to gain.

I believe life devalues a lot when you don't have to invest a good deal of hard work to move forward. It strengthens the character and changes your views ( maybe on life in general ) having to use all your abilities to at least make some of your dreams come true, and you still might fail.

If you can have anything money can buy with the snap of your fingers, there's no story behind that brandnew car or the house or the ... emptiness.

Most people in this world aren't rich in a financial or material way, if I may define "rich": Let your money do the work and don't work for your money.

Greed and exploitation - boredom is not enough, more like a soft ice melting in the sun.

" Wealth is a ghetto " - CRASS

BTW, I love " Sunday, bloody sunday "

I never liked U2 that much until Achtung Baby, which I really like and the next one Zooropa.Plus a side project called the Passangers which is really great.

I do think the lyrics of Bono are a lot of times very good-One & Pride I especially like. & I love the fact they dedicated a song in concert to the Bukowski's while they were attending a show and also on the album Zooropa their is a song dedicated to Buk.

That and working with Brian Eno make them pretty good in my book.

I have never cared for U2, especially in their current pomo, wraparound yellow shades period. But a good friend of mine really loved them, and when they played a little auditorium in Minneapolis on the War tour in 1983, he said, "I'm buying you a ticket, and you have to go."

Well, sweet jesus, I have to say that was an incredible performance. Just awe-inspiring to witness. I can only imagine how their fans must have experienced it. Really something, man.

Whatever they are now, they meant it when they played that night. There was not a speck of insincerity or bullshit for miles.

"The Saints Are Coming" is a well done cover.
I prefer the Skids' version, though. And the album.
A reminder of a good punk band that probably didn't earn a penny.

It's such a shame Bono's lyrics have declined so badly. I'm aware he's is a big fan of Bukowski and the beats, and you would have thought from this he'd understand and learn the technique of getting better with age. Instead U2 are hanging on to the coat tails of cool, attempting to stay contemporary. There is nothing worse then a bunch of forty somethings pretending they are twenty again.

I experienced U2 on the War tour, at a college in upstate NY. A Flock of Seagulls opened for them.

Other than worshipping at the alter of two small Stevie Ray Vaughan venues, that show was one of the tightest-rawest shows I've ever seen. An emotional roller coaster of sound and performance. Bono kicked ass, so did the band.

Back to the topic/question.

Reflecting on the 'bums, there always seemed to be something spiritual, something more going on. Almost a Beatles/Lennon quality to Bono's thinking. At least I bought into that. I kinda felt like U2 was a cross between the Doors and the Beatles. With a lead singer who not only had pipes and could write "” but cared.

Yeah, I know they make gobs of money and are full of themselves, in true rock fashion, but damn, that line just caught me off-guard, by surprise.

I can forgive the fact that the line is completely unoriginal, as it is a song lyric. I also turned a blind eye when Bono claimed that Edge's guitar playing was similar to Van Gogh and his yellow period. Hardy Har Har.

Well, it seems humility is no longer in the front row.

Too much money = boredom. Boohoo.

My verdict: disappointment.

I guess I liked it better when he was speaking about God "” instead of for Him.

Last edited by a moderator:
But Achtung Baby is one of my favorites of that time-along with Rain Dogs by Tom Waits. Both albums are superb and got me interested in them.

If there's anything I love as much, or maybe even more than Bukowski, it's gotta be music. So this post intrigued me. I have been a fan of U2's for a while, but I for one never thought of Bono as a good lyricist. He always reminded me of someone who fit words in to go with the music and how they sounded, rather than worrying about the actual words.

I saw them back in the early 90's at the Los Angeles Coluseium and again at Staples center in 2005 and gotta say, both times, even at such enormous venues they were one of the best live acts I've ever seen.

I saw U2 in Jacksonville Fl in 83 with The Alarm....hairdos galore, but is was a great show. Definitely changed me (went and got the mullet the next day).

How does one weld a mullet?

And good luck with your new art show, brother.

I hope you kick fucking ass; you deserve it with your talent...

Pax,

homeless mind

The lyric works for me. It has a DIY spirit about it and seems to reflect the work ethic pretty well.

Although I still enjoy the early albums, they lost their appeal to me years ago. In a (hyphenated) word : Over-exposure.

Hey, 6-H:

I guess I'm breaking the quoting rule here, but I want it on the record for other reasons, unrelated to BUKnet.

But the lyric seems to talk down to people. That was my thought.

And it makes me sad.

I used to look up to Bono; now I look sideways.

I never liked U2 that much until Achtung Baby
[...]
I'm sort of the opposite. I haven't really been interested in anything they've done since Achtung Baby / Zooropa.
And, speaking of Eno, have you seen the documentary 'For All Mankind'? Which he did the soundtrack for (released on CD as Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back