Brand new and dazed beyond comprehension (1 Viewer)

This is what happened. Went to see my 87 year old dad for fathers day. They wouldn't make him fried eggs at Friday's he had two glasses of wine for breakfast instead. He told my 17 year old son the following three outstanding bits. There was more but I'll spare you.
"Its a good thing you werent born ugly..it is a horrible thing to be born ugly"
"The girls still look at me... they are a little older but they still look"
"I am the original whoremaster"

When I got home I picked up "Women" My FIRST Bukowski book EVER. Three pages in I became some kind of addict. NOW I find myself here posting and snorting all things Bukowski. Im 45 years old. How is it possible I walked the planet this long without knowing AND is this extreme Bukowski jonsing a perminant state or will it go away on its own.

I am brand new here...I have no idea why I am here except that I can't get enough. There seems to be a new place in my brain "The Bukowskibellum"
I can feel it. Anyone ever experience anything like this at such a late age?

Welcome to the forum, Atlen! Well, if you're snorting everything Buk and can't get enough, then you've come to the right place...:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yah, yah, the pater-familia is seventy something and still wants to beat my ass (like he didn't get enough pounding in early in life?) and is known within the family as "Mr. Inappropriate"

I'm the original whoremaster God, that's great!. What did the kid say?

Welcome to the bard, er, board...

He told my 17 year old son the following three outstanding bits. There was more but I'll spare you.
"Its a good thing you werent born ugly..it is a horrible thing to be born ugly"
"The girls still look at me... they are a little older but they still look"
"I am the original whoremaster"
Welcome. The comments above remind me of the grandpa in the movie "Little Miss Sunshine". Seen that?
Bukowski at 45? You should know that Buk was a late starter himself - as a writer that is.
Oh and just yesterday I read the following in "Come On In!":
[...] I will forget about death. I will
forget that I am ... old.
I will feel 45 again. (I've always felt 45, even when
I was 16.)
(From the poem "Everything hurts" page 271)
:rolleyes:

Atlen,
You are a sick motherfucker. You will be at home here, with the rest of us sick motherfuckers... As Rob. said, there is no use in trying to fight it. Just accept and embrace it.

Bill

I've never been a Rollins fan, though I do watch his show. I've always thought that Keith Morris was the definitive Black Flag front man, not Rollins. As far as his own band, it just doesn't do anything for me. But I don't dislike him or anything.

When he said that Johnny Rotten (PIL and the Sex Pistols) could be his lap dog, it did kind of piss me off though.

To stay on topic though, grandpa sounds hilarious! Old people are great! They are like little kids in that they just speak the truth (as they see it) and nevermind niceties.

Ghostwind

Yes, yes I remember seeing Rollins say that!. He himself has really emerged as a joke though. Reminds me far too much of any number of gym teachers.

To go off thread here. Is there anywhere on this site that people post their own work? Not that I want to post anything, EVER, but I would be interested in reading some othrs work. Or..if anyone wants to send me a link to their work I'd be thrilled...why I'd be thrillied I have no idea but I would be.

This whole forum is full of "work". I find the pure interactions in here to be real "art". I am not worthy, but I enjoy it. btw."Women" hooked me too. This is not "just a passing interest" Bukowski hooks you. I did have to quit snorting like many others.

Yes, yes I remember seeing Rollins say that!. He himself has really emerged as a joke though. Reminds me far too much of any number of gym teachers.

You must know some pretty amazing gym teachers. I saw him last night at the Hammer Museum in Westwood. He spoke as part of a "conversation" with Amanda Palmer of the Dresden Dolls. Even though I don't agree with his politics, I admire the passion with which he both holds them and communicates them.

He has had so much life experience, yet keeps it all so much in perspective.

I was only familiar with his work in Black Flag and The Rollins Band until last night. I knew he wrote some books and did some spoken word performance, but I had no experience with either of those. I went last night to see Amanda, but left with a desire to persue the works of Henry.

p.s. Johnny would be a suitable lap dog...

The Gym Teachers were anything but remarkable. Rollins was funny in the Black Flag role. I guess it's just the musclehead thing that irritates me. HIs interviews are okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back