Buk and the Beats (the book by Jean-François Duval) (1 Viewer)

Ambreen

Sordide Sentimental
buck.jpg

I have just finished it and only enjoyed the second half (the interview, as great as usual, Buk and Linda were in great shape this very night). As for the essay, it seems devoid of any thread, which makes it appear rather confused to me. There are too many quotations, a lot of digressions and sometimes the author points out some far-fetched common points or contradictions between Buk and the Beats. I don't feel I have learnt anything really relevant and essential on the relations Bukowski/Beat movement through this book. But the pictures are splendid! At least. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
English edition.

Duval_Eng.jpg

I'm such a philistine that I only bothered to read the interview. Still good value. Shame these interviewers don't put the interviews out as audio releases.

Enjoyed the interview too. The essay part is too confused. Don't understand the really intentions of the author. He approches too many subjects without any relations with Buke. Duval tries to searching similitudes between Hank and the Beats, but they was so antagonists.

Yeah, read that Buk did not like connections with the Beats (forget where)...him making fun of Ginsberg chanting to followers and such. Buk didn't seem to go for that, so the beat connection always seems a little uneasy.

It's funny you resurrected the thread just when I was about to post my expressions about the book.

I recently read (the whole of) Bukowski and the Beats and liked the part about the connection between the gang and the loner as much as the interview. The photos are really great and Duval supplied lots of valuable facts about numerous American writers & freaks (the Notes/Biblio/Who's Who? part is worth the price of the book alone).

There are a few slips however that make me wonder about the author's depth of research and attention to details:

his last wife Linda Lee Bukowski (page 22)
Doesn't "last" imply that Buk had more wives (at least one) before Linda Lee? It may be possible, but...
Those realities he experienced through the hundreds of dead-end jobs, reluctantly toiled at for forty years around the country. (page 24)
Buk didn't had dead-end jobs for 40 years, specially not 40 years around the country.
(writing Post Office inspired Buk in 1969 to leave his job of the past 11 years) (page 24)
I reckon it was vice versa.
In Hollywood... the director Joe Pinchot (a pseudonym for Barbet Schroeder, the director of Barfly) (page 108)
It's Jon, not Joe.
... there is a photograph with Buk pictured next to a woman known as Georgia... Hank... has his arm around the woman's shoulders. (page 125)
In the (in)famous photo Buk's right hand is around Georgia's waist.
He's holding a beer in his left hand.
Georgia was only a passing, casual affair to him... (page 125)
I believe she was just a friend, but this may be arguable.
That day Hank was expecting Joan Levine Gannij, a freelance photographer who jumped at the opportunity to immortalize Georgia next to Hank for a future book called Frigid:Air. (page 125)
What happened to Ulvis Alberts?

All this makes me cautious about the other facts in the book, but I still think it's worth buying.

P.S. I read the book in English, so (some of) the slips may be due to translation.

Last edited:
[...] Doesn't "last" imply that Buk had more wives (at least one) before Linda Lee? It may be possible, but... [...]
he's been married to one Barbara Frye in the 1950s.
(Joyce in 'Post Office')
[...] I believe she was just a friend, but this may be arguable. [...]
she's been a friend of his then girl-friend Pamela Brandes /Miller /Wood aka Scarlet aka Reds aka Cupcakes.
(Georga is Arlene in 'Women', Pam is Tammie)

he's been married to one Barbara Frye in the 1950s.
boodala.gif

I completely forgot "the neckless girl"!
But they married in Las Vegas (for crying out loud!), does that count? :p
Just trying to get myself out of an embarrassing situation.
she's been a friend of his then girl-friend Pamela Brandes...
I know who Georgia Peckham-Krellner was, but who knows what she and Bukowski did when they were alone? Maybe there was really something else (beside a friendship) going between them (Buk & Georgia) so maybe Duval was right when he said they had an affair.
I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

Last edited:
Just trying to get myself out of an embarrassing situation.
I know who Georgia Peckham-Krellner was, but who knows what she and Bukowski did when they were alone? Maybe there was really something else (beside a friendship) going between them (Buk & Georgia) so maybe Duval was right when he said they had an affair.
I'm just playing devil's advocate here.
Don't be ashamed. "It's just words on paper".

I'm sure that Buk would have written it down, somehwere, anywhere. Don't you think?
And Pam would have mentioned it in her Scarlet memoir.
(Okay, if Duval was right, Pam probably would not take a sneaky peek or enjoyed the other two handsome's.)
However.
I think the percentage is nil percent that Duval avait raison. :)

I'm sure that Buk would have written it down, somehwere, anywhere. Don't you think?
Probably. Sometimes I have a feeling he wrote about/used all (even slightly) important moments of his life.

And Pam would have mentioned it in her Scarlet memoir.
Maybe. But I doubt Duval was right when he assumed Buk & Georgia were having an affair, I think he simply made a projection in his head based on that infamous photo.

Agreed...think Duval is assuming quite a bit based on the popular Georgia/Buk photo. Pam would likely have mentioned if such things took place in Scarlet for sure.

Last week I've learnd that a German translation of Duval's book is in the making.
Don't know any specifics at the moment. Will keep you posted.

I always think of two instances when people/authors etc. try to lump Buk with the beats: 1) his meeting Neal Cassady and going on that crazy drive through LA (but not really relating to the "jail kid," and 2) the poem where Burroughs is staying at the same hotel and reading the next night after Buk, and they ask Buk if he wants to meet Burroughs and he does not - uneasy relationship between Buk and Beats at best. Also his mocking of Ginsberg chanting to followers.

I remember those 2 instances, but I wanted to get back to comment on only looking at the good pictures.
I find that normal and good fun, and i have the ' Sounes'' Bukowski in Pictures book, talk ab. some good pics.
like the one where he's drinkin' with Ben Gazzara and Ferrerri.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back