Buk/Purdy letters (1 Viewer)

Is it HB or Paper? Signed? Lettered? Numbered?

The trade paperback sells for $40 - $75, the HB editions more, especially signed and lettered.

Bill

Thanks, Bill; it's paper, not signed.
I also have a signed paperback of Shakespeare Never Did This.

There's so much great stuff out there to be found! :)

R

You didn't buy the signed paperback of Shakespeare from an ebay seller in Italy, by chance? If so, and if it is numbered, then it is not really signed. We found a forgery that sold on ebay. Is the book signed by Montfort or Bukowski? Is it City Lights Edition or Black Sparrow? If it is Black Sparrow then Buk could not have signed it as it came out after he died.

Bill

The Shakespeare book (signed by Bukowski) is the City Lights paper edition and I bought it from a guy in Australia (from ebay)...

I hope it's a genuine copy or I'm going to be unhappy :(

If the seller is straight up honest and it is NOT authentic then you should get your money back. If it is deemed authentic by this group then you can take that to the bank, really...

Bill

Why is this book is so hard to come by? I'd love to read it...but, man, fat chance finding an affordable copy...

I mean--it's gotta be that ECCO doesn't have the rights to...?

You mean Purdy, not Shakespeare, right?

Purdy wasn't a BSP book, it was Paget Press, so Ecco doesn't reprint it. I'm pretty sure Paget didn't do many printings, if they did more than one.

The book is scarce, but you aren't missing much. If you find it, don't pay top dollar for a reading copy. You should be able to pick up a "non-collectible grade" copy on eBay for $25 - $30 if you're patient.

yeah, I've been waiting for a long time for an afforable copy of this, not so much for the reading but for the collection. some day soon I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and buy one. I'm sure that the price won't get any cheaper...

Sorry, yeah--I meant the Purdy Letters...

There was only one printing.

Let me guess...it wasn't through Lightning Source, Lulu, or any of the POD printers...

So--one printing, & it was through Paget Press...not BSP...so Ecco has no rights to it. Is Paget defuct? It seems that, while not massive, there'd be enough interest for another printing...

Anyhow--thanks for the advice on price. etc. Guess I'll cross my fingers that a library might have a copy around...

Every time I see one of these threads, I count myself lucky that I bought my copy when I saw it... I almost didn't because I was gonna go with a book of poetry first, but... sweet.

The book is scarce, but you aren't missing much.
I find THE BUK-PURDY letters a good read. But- I was always a letters reader.

Letters of Flaubert!
Letters between Nelson Algren and Simone de Beauvoir! HEARTBREAKING!

If you find it, don't pay top dollar for a reading copy. You should be able to pick up a "non-collectible grade" copy on eBay for $25 - $30 if you're patient.
I paid $35 for the book. As far as I know they are around $50 on ebay.

just finished reading the book. got it from the library of our university. the letters were fun to read. specially i liked this part of a letter from Hank to Purdy and Bevan (a publisher)

"...We are going to run the g.d. universities and their well-backed dull magazines right out of business and when they come running to our alter we are going to give them the big dick pissing right into their eye. Not because we are vicious but because they are dead."

:)

Well, this is another one of those books I regret selling. I liked the Purdy/Bukowski letters, and I'll try to find another copy. You would think the editors at Ecco would realize they could sell a bunch of copies and get the rights to reprint.

I'm amazed at what this book sells for... cheapest copy I think I saw a few months ago on Abe was $30. Paperback. I know it was limited in printing, but... I bought my copy from Powells for... I think $10 about six months ago...

Crazy. But some interesting letters in the bunch, to be sure.

$30 is'nt much for such an old book compared to the price for a new Buk book, I think.
$30 is even cheap. The ones I've seen on Abe some time ago cost $50. I think you were lucky to get a copy for $10, LTS!

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a chance find... I didn't recognize it so I bought it... didn't know it was a great deal until I got it home and read it... Spine is sunned, but everything else is near-fine\fine I think... It may be one of those that I sell down the road once I've read it a second time...

I got a very nice copy from our own Bill R. for $35.

Good for you! And a very reasonable price too. I remember the thread and I would have bought it if I did'nt have it already. I think it's an interesting letter book. It's by no means as thick as the other letter books, but there's some interesting stuff here and there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is this book is so hard to come by? I'd love to read it...but, man, fat chance finding an affordable copy.
I just put this on ebay for £35. I only included postage within UK but could change it if you're interested.

image-(1).jpg

I've still got the Bukowski/Purdy letters if anyone's interested. I realise that 35 quid was far too cheap....I'm open to offers though. I think there are photos of my copy on here somewhere but can't seem to find them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back