Buk Reader and Incipient Collector, with a Question (1 Viewer)

Long time viewer, first time joiner. Thanks to all the Buk vets on here for the resources they have made available on this wonderful site.

I read his novels maybe 4 or 5 years ago, but I still had the optimism of youth and hadn't been beaten down yet, so though I enjoyed his writing, they didn't crush me or speak to my depths the way they did for many on this site. Recently, however, I decided to check out his shorter fiction, and their power, combined with my added age and growing pessimism, spoke to me quite loudly. The collection was the City Lights publication, Erections, Ejaculations, Exhibitions, and General Tales of Ordinary Madness, in the first edition from 1972. Also, since first reading him, I've become a letter carrier with Canada Post and so Post Office carries an increased level of import for me.

A quick question. I'm trying to determine the value of a book I recently purchased. It's a signed first edition of Ham on Rye, but it is not one of the 350 signed and #'d. It is one of the signature uncalled-for 750, though this copy is signed by him on the title page. I tend to be more excited by signed books when a signature wasn't originally called for, and the price was right so I jumped on it. Now though, after having read things like the fact that a large percentage of the unsigned hardcover BSP titles went to libraries and became defaced, I'm wondering if it could conceivably carry more value than the #'d copies. Though I do sell books to help finance my collecting, I don't intend to list my Ham on Rye any time soon, but I am just curious as to what some of you may think about the relative value. It's in fine, really pristine condition, though the acetate jacket has some separation at its spine section.

Thanks again for the site and for any advice you might offer.

I'm wondering if it could conceivably carry more value than the #'d copies.
Probably not.

The trade hardcovers in perfect condition are sometimes more rare than the numbered hardcovers (for the reason you mentioned, and also because they didn't produce many copies of some of the titles), but as far as signatures go, the signatures in the signed/numbered editions are kind of guaranteed authentic, where yours - signed on the title page - is not.

We can usually authenticate a signature for you, but when you're selling, that "called for" signature is usually going to bring more (assuming the book is available both ways). Just because there's little doubt of validity.

Good point, and I appreciate your reply. Though the provenance for this book is detailed enough for me to be very comfortable with the signature, and I trust the seller I purchased it from, who is an ABAA seller in LA who specializes in (or at least deals in large part with) Bukowski stuff, it's undeniable that the #'d copies carry rock solid authenticity. I guess I'm just so comfortable with its authenticity that I assumed everyone else would be too. I'll post a picture of the signature from my phone, to follow shortly.

Untitled-1.jpg

Yeah. Looks good. As a rule, ABAA members are held to a very high standard and becoming one is not easy. One of the things that they have to do is lifetime guarantees on signed books...

the provenance for this book is detailed enough for me to be very comfortable with the signature, and I trust the seller I purchased it from...
I happen to prefer an "uncalled for" signature too, and the signature you show here is legit enough for me.

But you wondered if it could conceivably carry more value than the #'d copies. If the value of a book is what you can sell it for, looking at it objectively, yours is not more valuable than a signed/numbered version. Mainly because I can't imagine a scenario where you could sell it for more than a signed/numbered version. Assuming they were side by side.

Subjectively though, someone who likes an uncalled for signature might value it differently.

Absolutely. To some extent right now, it's moot anyways. I made the mistake of selling a couple other Bukowski books I had in the past, a first paperback edition of Post Office which I actually bought from bospress, and a signed #'d Pulp. Feeling the regret I feel now in hindsight, I don't plan to do it again anytime soon.

Subjectively though, someone who likes an uncalled for signature might value it differently.
Right; there's the potential allure of Buk actually having held that particular book in his hand while signing it in contrast to the called for sigs, which are just individual pages sent off en masse to be signed as whim (and cans of beer/pints of Cutty Sark) affords. Of course, Buk held those pages too, or at least leaned his hand on them when signing.
The people here are so welcoming!
Not everyone shares this view, but it's nice to hear every now and again.
I can't figure out how to send private messages, if it is possible.
It is possible, although that feature may require a minimum number of posts to be activated; I'm not sure. If you click on someone's username, a box pops up and there's a link for "Start a Conversation." Give it a shot.

Last edited:
"Not everyone shares this view, but it's nice to hear every now and again."
Ha! True, but Second Hand entered like a gentleman, and was welcomed as one. Usually, the folks that have problems with this forum either come here to be welcomed as conquering heroes or to shill something using subterfuge to get sales instead of being straightforward.....

After having read how detailed the posts are and how much the people here obviously care about Bukowski and his legacy, I figured some humility was in order, as my Buk fascination (am I even allowed to call him Buk yet?) is still in its early phases. Thank you for the compliment, Bospress, and for the advice, Purple Stickpin.

Well, as I've seen footage of Bukowski correct some as to the proper pronunciation. Apparently it's Buk as in puke, not Buck. I think I read that in Bell Tolls For also. So, call him Buk as long as it's said correctly i guess. Oh, and welcome.

a picture of the signature from my phone

As a guy who can't afford the signed goods, but plans to .. I get off on even seeing pictures like this one. Welcome to the forum, sir. There are dancing girls on the way. As for the dancing guys, well .. Philly and Pogue know how to shake their groove things if the moon is right, so keep your eyes peeled for that.

I can "slamdance the cosmopolis". But for the most part I suck at dancing. But I look good dancing with my guitar.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back