Bukowski and alcohol (1 Viewer)

hello i'm french (no one is perfect....)
i would like to know something about it.
bukowski often make reference to beer, scotch, etc....but i would like to know how much he was drinking????

bukowski said somewhere (probably many times).." Ive drank more than the first fifty (hundred?) people you meet on the street"

I seem to remember a great many references to wine. I've seen the beast photographed with beer in hand many times. Probably, like the rest of the sots out there, damn near anything was good as long as it kept the angels away.

bukowski said somewhere (probably many times).." Ive drank more than the first fifty (hundred?) people you meet on the street"

You think he was being literal? What a bladder! What a liver! haha! j/k

I was just reading a story in the paper about a young man who worked in a Pub in Edinburgh, and after work with his colleagues, he drank down 11pints. They took him home in their car, he couldn't walk and was totally incomunicado. They left him to sleep it off in the car. The next day, they went to get him, he was dead.

Bukowski did drink as lot, so friends and associates report: wine and beer. predominantly i think.

Probably, like the rest of the sots out there, damn near anything was good as long as it kept the angels away.

:), lets put it that way: He had lost almost all his back-teeth
by the age of 50.
You often see that with people who puke a lot, i mean, frequently.
Because of the stomach-acid, you know...
He probably was bulimic.

..a joke of course, slimedog is right.

He was probably pretty healthy to drink and live as long as he did. However, he battled the stomach ulcers in his thirties, and they just don't go away...? (alcoholism)Not recommended!

I think he said he drank about 2 bottles of wine average when he was 60+ and typing in the nights

thks for the answers.....i was asking the question because i'm a big drinker too, and it's always interesting to see that you can go further if you want.......
i saw him drunk at the french TV 1 time, the link is this :

and he drank 2 bottles of white wine.....but he was still old so....the effect is more powerfull....and i saw "barfly" too, i think alcohol is a way of life for him.

You think he was being literal? What a bladder! What a liver! haha! j/k

I was just reading a story in the paper about a young man who worked in a Pub in Edinburgh, and after work with his colleagues, he drank down 11pints. They took him home in their car, he couldn't walk and was totally incomunicado. They left him to sleep it off in the car. The next day, they went to get him, he was dead.

Bukowski did drink as lot, so friends and associates report: wine and beer. predominantly i think.

What a lightweight. If death came every 11 pints, I should have croaked back in the 1980's - and also this board would thin out pretty quick, huh ?

:>)

Yeah, what's up with the eleven pints? Maybe he had some other treats along with hops. Thursday nights at The Gate we often got into numbers like that...and we weren't drinking Coors Lite either.

...and for women too. Never had sex outside of marriage. Great church goer. Always read other poets work, couldn't get enough. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
He really enjoyed almost all poetry and other poets, especially traditional ones, and humbly thought he couldn't compete with his great contemporaries.

He was a very social man and loved all of mankind and felt a great need to be with others.

A great believer in family the man he respected the most was his father who distilled in him a strong work ethic and a drive to succeed.

His motto was "Try harder."

ah, slimedog, you make my day.
Its getting better and better, lets concentrate more on his efforts for womans liberation, the phallocratic state of affairs in general and especially from a first floor window.

Underneath there is a hairdresser studio.

He was a man who believed in moderation, in all forms.

And a believer in the goodness inside of everyone.

He was extremely optimistic and always looked at the bright side of things.

An impeccable dresser he liked to associate with whomever were the stars of the moment and loved being in the public eye.

He always wore a suit and tie. Shoes impeccably shined. Kept his distance from freaks and troubled women. Was a registred voter and voted republican. Teetotaller. Loved watching tv.A steady worker - always loved his job, his second home.

Bukowski admired the musician Bob Lind so much that he tried to play Bob's beautiful songs on the piano. Bukowski failed, the compositions of Lind were too complicated but at least he tried. But he kept telling his friends Bob Lind is a great singer songwriter.

So what? Are you saying that we can only write what Bukowski would have appreciated? And who knows what he would not appreciate? I happen to believe that he would have appreciated our sarcastic remarks. He had a well developed sense of humour.

I was just going along for the ride. Get it? It was an act of double secret sarcasm. I guess it didn't work. Carry on.

I'm not an asshole

Ah, I see. I'm relieved to hear it was "double secret sarcasm", although I did'nt get it.
Glad you're not an asshole...:D

It did work for me ( after I checked out you other postings)

But you know, those Danes...

It worked for you? - That's easy to claim...now ;)

The Danes? Yes, terrible people. But what can I do? I'm stuck with them. Personally, I think it's the 25% Dutch blood in me which sometimes gets carried away...:D

He always wore a suit and tie. Shoes impeccably shined. Kept his distance from freaks and troubled women. Was a registred voter and voted republican. Teetotaller. Loved watching tv.A steady worker - always loved his job, his second home.

hope he had a better humour than the people on this forum!!! :)))

Not to intrude upon your sarcasm fest here but I once read an interview in which he admitted to being a full-blown alcholic. But he then stated that he was rather resigned and comfortable with it. He also made the good point that a poet's daily life permits of this regular intake of booze.

Either way, I don't really think it matters one bit whether he was a booze-hound or wasn't. (Not saying I thought any of you really did) I think we should all just take the art and genious that he gave us and forget about all the "bad" parts. That should go for all artists in general, Id say. I don't care how long they permit themselves to live or create.

Either way, I don't really think it matters one bit whether he was a booze-hound or wasn't. (Not saying I thought any of you really did) I think we should all just take the art and genious that he gave us and forget about all the "bad" parts. That should go for all artists in general, Id say. I don't care how long they permit themselves to live or create.

i agree but the art he's giving to us is directly linked with his own life, and many of his more interresting novels are based on a part of his life, which he's describing to us, and sex, alcohol, and fights are the main part of it......
"crazy love", "barfly" ....are autobiographic movies showing how hard and close to alcohol was is life.......that's what make the artsit......the fool artist buk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back