Bukowski and women, before he became 'famous' (1 Viewer)

I was wondering how Bukowski was received by women before he was famous. I know he got women after the fact, but how did he do before that time.

I think Bukowski drank because of the 9-5 lifestyle as well as an ability to connect to the regular woman?

...kind of like me.

have you read women? (the book, i mean.) it's about how he went years without getting laid, and then all of a sudden he was getting it all the time. his ex-girlfriend linda king said that one of the difficulties of their relationship (which was in the 70's, while he was starting to get pretty well-known) was that, due to his disfigurement, he didn't really experience a traditional adolescence with parties and carefree sex. as a result, he felt that he had to act out this stage in his life that he resented missing out on, even though it came when he was much, much older.

does that help?

And Linda King had to teach him how to eat pussy. Not an insignificant point. ;)

But even before the 1970s period of Women, Buk had many relationships above and beyond the initial "300 lb whore." Healthy relationships? Perhaps not. ;)

I saw the Bukowski documentary "Born Into This" and could see how he approached life. He seemed like a cool guy. But still, I wondered how he worked a room or a bar. Was he the social guy, the loner. Did that change before and after he became more famous and had more money.

It is all interesting.

Yes, it is all interesting. Are you interested in what he had to say about it, or how it actually happened? I think if you read his books (poems and novels, anyway), you'll find that he said that he usually didn't want to go to a party, and typically didn't want too many people to come over, that is, unless they brought women that he might be able to handle his scythe (I've always wanted to use "scythe" in a sentence).

Times changed for him; in the 50s, he sat in bars and more or less quietly tried to score drinks; occasionally coaxing the barkeep out for a brawl. Later, he stayed at home more, and drank with his women. By the time he met the two Lindas, he probably socialized a bit more; the first, with Linda King, he maintained a relatively high drunken profile, but still being a loner. Later, with his wife Linda Lee B., he had toned things down considerably.

At least that's what his words have told me.

Why not read them yourself?

If you want to know what really happened, take every other word he wrote, mix them with Cutty Sark, and ask someone else. ;)

Welcome galtor you just got the royal treatment from two of the many scholars here. Good job. I learn stuff everyday.
Enjoy all of the reading.

I saw the Bukowski documentary "Born Into This" and could see how he approached life. He seemed like a cool guy. But still, I wondered how he worked a room or a bar. Was he the social guy, the loner. Did that change before and after he became more famous and had more money.

It is all interesting.

He was definitely the loner. Although once he got drunk, he was seemingly sociable for a while, and then it tipped over into hating everyone, extremely anti-social, insults and fights. I don't imagine it was a genuine friendliness, while it lasted -- more a manic phase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back