• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Bukowski at Bellevue Original (1 Viewer)

Hey everyone!

I acquired one of the master Scotch open real video recordings of the Bellevue reading about 10 years ago. I was told by the collector that he actually had contacted the film student who recorded the reading...how he tracked him down I have no idea. The guy said that a couple of students from the film department had recorded Buk that day, one being the copy that the DVD was released from and this being the other one.

So...does anybody have any idea how much this may be worth?

Thanks!

$0.

It's extremely difficult to find someone who can transfer old video tape like that to a modern format. They aren't like open reel audio tape, where the recorders/players are relatively standard. There are dozens of dead video formats, and your tape is likely one of them.

Having said that, I also have to wonder what's really on the tape. I find it hard to believe that two people from that small community college were interested enough in 1970 to record Bukowski. You'll notice on Bukowski at Bellevue there are two different camera sources. It seems to be stretching it to think there were three video cameras rolling, and the third was unrelated to the other two. I suspect, if what you have is the reading, that it's one of the sources used in the original.

But I'm just pulling all of that out of my ass. And out of what seems logically probable. To me, that possibility that what you have there is previously unseen does not seem logically probable. But again, what do I know.

If you had a previously unseen early reading, that would be quite a find. But Bellevue from a different angle is still Bellevue.

Ah...thanks for the reply!
Yeah...I realize that just because something is rare it doesn't mean that it is also valuable. For a while I had thought it was 16mm footage, but some research and closer examination revealed that it was an early video format...which like you said has made it difficult to verify or even see what is on there. I have no reason to believe it's not authentic, but I would like to know exactly what the content is. Three video cameras rolling does seem like a stretch...however, he did say it was a project for the film students, so maybe.

The tape says: Cat. No. 361-1/2-2400-R153B which would be 1/2" at 2400 ft.
Written on the tape card: Bukowski at Bellevue C.C. Spring 1970

Thanks again!

For what it's worth, I was an audio visual equipment guy (among other things) in the early 70s, and I remember those early video recorders/players. They were huge, expensive to buy and maintain. I doubt many have survived in working order.

More of my 2 cents. I found a very early reel to reel original audio recording of a Ronald Reagan speech - one of his earliest known political speeches. There are known recordings of other dates and venues where he gave the same talk, but this was an unknown/unique date and place. I contacted the Reagan Library and other experts. Nobody gave a damn and I ended up selling it on eBay for $30. If there had been no recordings of that speech at any time or place, it would have been worth big bucks. There may be a similar situation with a possible third recording of Buk's Bellevue reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back