Bukowski at the track (1 Viewer)

Two part question.

In many Bukowski stories, he details various systems he used at the racetrack. Has anyone ever put any of his theories in effect at the racetrack? Some of the stories are very detailed and seem to be possible with the very little I know about racing. Besides a few harness races I've attended, I hardly know anything about the sport. But I am curious if anyone with experience would agree that his theories and systems had validity. The second part of my question is about the bookstore owner in L.A that he's mentioned in a few stories and poems. Red Stoldosky, or something similar. I know his first name was Red in the stories. The last name I'm stating from memory and probably is incorrect. I was wondering about this bookstore and if anyone had known the place or Red. Thanks guys and girls...

Shane

Can't help you with the bookstore owner, but as far as the racetrack "system" goes, every horse player has some kind of goofy theory or method they employ. They all lose. Many of them involve assigning a number value to various statistics such as speed, distance, class and so forth. A horse with a higher number is "the winner" and the lower ones are supposedly the losers. Of course when these sysytems don't work, there's usually an excuse - the weather or an inexperienced rider......whatever.

However, Buk had remarkable restraint in the self-pity department. I would assume he took losing in stride, just like the other bad breaks he had in life.

The bookstore owner, Red Stodolsky, is mentioned in some of the threads here by people who knew him...

In many Bukowski stories, he details various systems he used at the racetrack. Has anyone ever put any of his theories in effect at the racetrack?

I'm rereading Hollywood and I was thinking the samething;

horse 1.7
horse 2.3
horse 3.5
horse 4.1
horse 5.2
horse 6.4
horse 7.8
horse 8.6
The system? Well , you take the horse's odds that go off below the number of the handicapper's selection. Then take the greatest drop. For example, horse1, selection 7 going off at 4-to-1 is better than horse 6, selection 4 going off at 3-to-1. There is one expection to this system. If horse 4 goes off at below 1, that is 4/5 or below, then pass the race if there is nothing working against it. That is because playes on nohing but odds-on-favorites always show a loss.

I'm rereading Hollywood and I was thinking the samething;

horse 1.7
horse 2.3
horse 3.5
horse 4.1
horse 5.2
horse 6.4
horse 7.8
horse 8.6
The system? Well , you take the horse's odds that go off below the number of the handicapper's selection. Then take the greatest drop. For example, horse1, selection 7 going off at 4-to-1 is better than horse 6, selection 4 going off at 3-to-1. There is one expection to this system. If horse 4 goes off at below 1, that is 4/5 or below, then pass the race if there is nothing working against it. That is because playes on nohing but odds-on-favorites always show a loss.

Jerry - You did a good job of describing a system that takes into account the "action" (or money wagered) that a particular horse receives right up until the race takes off vs. the handicapper's prediction - which is done a day or two ahead of time. It's always wise to watch for unusual differentials between the two. Sometimes it is revealing, sometimes it is not.

The reason it is not is because when the odds on a particular horse begin to drop, there is often a herd mentality that takes over, and the bettors go nuts. Copy-cat behavior, basically.

I recommend ignoring the odds ENTIRELY and just looking at distance, class, and speed. Maybe check the track conditions and the rider/driver. That's it.

As for sentimentality/superstition (a betting strategy all it's own), I rarely pass on a grey horse. They're so beautiful to watch, you can't lose. What the hell. You know, it's a fun sport to take part in as long as you stay on the right side of the rail.

(Oh, now you got me started - we could chat about this for days - AND it's Kentuck Derby season :) )

Here's my strategy for the track:

Throw on a cheap suit (is there any other kind?) remember to grab the shades, and whatever other additives are necessary. Throw a few dollars at the betting window, and make straight for the bar/clubhouse.

I employed this system quite regular back in the seventies, when the big-shot high roller types still rolled in Caddy's and Lincolns. Always the big pinky rings and chains, big dolls too. Big hair and tits.

Saddle up the naughhyde, pretend to watch the monitors, and lubricate. Set up a couple of rounds, wait for results.

Screw the horses, the real beasts are always at the bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back