Bukowski, directed by James Franco (3 Viewers)

I'd pay big bucks to see this movie open with him dressed in that indian outfit his parents bought him surrounded by 5-6 kids dressed as cowboys and just cleaning fucking house with that little tomahawk. All before you roll a single intro credit.

You haven't seen Barfly? Are you kidding me? You have to put Barfly on the top of your to do list. My own personal viewpoint is, is if you don't like it there must be something wrong with you. I watch the Barfly once or twice a year. I always drink beer or wine during it and by now after all of these years I have the whole movie memorized. I hope you watch it soon and report back to us your observation said person who is, "alone with the God's."

I hope Franco doesn't release this movie until he has a total masterpiece on his hands. We the Buk people of the world need another really good Buk type movie. I still haven't bought Factotum I'm busy buying Buk books to read. I will buy Factotum soon but I think it is too clean and neat compared to the rough dirt and grime of Barfly. I really love the scene in Factotum where he is in the factory putting brake pads into boxes and the guy says, "whatever you do don't smoke up here." Whats does Hank do? He immediately lights up a smoke and opens the only window there and he stands and looks out the window. The camera is now outside and we are treated to a scene whereby this brick bldg. has one window only and Hank is there and he is speaking some of his poetry over the scene. I thought that was one really good scene in Factotum.

I am so looking forward to this. It is going to be so strange walking into a theater at this late point in time to see a Bukowski related film. The theaters are probably going to be virtually empty, I would imagine, but the people in the seats are probably going to be well read Buk fans. Happy Days are here again.

Well I saw Shannen Doherty's name and thought, perfect, she's half-mad in real life anyway, but then I see she's playing the mother. But so is another actress who is only a few years older than her? I'm confused.

But not as confused as I was to see these:

Bukowski age 6:

age6.jpg

Bukowski age 12-13:

age12-13.jpg

Eh, okay.

BUKOWSKI: The story of a lovable mop-top and his wacky parents! In 3D!

Brutal. The kid at age 12-13 has the look of somebody who would've made Bukowski's life a living hell, imho. I skimmed the cast at imdb and noticed there is no "Becker" and no "Kong" (the football scene in Ham on Rye). Because of that, I will proceed with caution.

Wait wait...isn't this the movie where Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern prat-fall on all the Bud empties in the foyer of Bukowski Manor, and conk heads while Sher Beedi-smoke-screened?

...and this guy as Late teens bukowski.

Looks like Franco is trying to test out himself playing Bukowski in the sequel "Post Office"

MV5BNTQ3NjA2MTM1MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTY5NDgwOQ@@._V1_SY317_CR132,0,214,317_.jpg

The story of Bukowski growing up handsome and popular. Girls wanted to be with him and boys wanted to be him...

ugh...

and while I'm complaining... Josh Peck from Nickelodeon's Drake & Josh is in this and being given top billing? They are not saying who he is. Young adult Bukowski? oh my....

I didn't know Bukowski was a curly haired pretty boy. That changes everything. The acne vulgaris was just a plot device designed to elicit sympathy from the reader. His old man didn't beat him; on the contrary, he was always bragging to the neighbors: "My Hank, he's good boy! He cuts the lawn perfectly! Not one blade of grass left standing!" This is going to be the best Bukowski inspired film ever. I can feel it in my bones.

I can see the proud Henry Sr. proudly and lovingly tussling those long curly locks!

I bet Hank Jr. was popular in high school. Looking like a young Johnny Depp must have made him a chick magnet....

One looks at those phots erases any hope I had for this film. At least Mickey Rourke or Matt Dillon could be ugly as sin if you wanted them to be. These kids look like they just got their asses freshly wiped.

I fear the worst. I´m afraid both Barfly and Factotum will stand out as pure masterpieces next to this one, but I guess we´ll find out soon enough.

If you are looking for some sort of "newly-fantastic" form of Bukowski, I think you need to re-prioritize. I've never found a medium that trumps Bukowski's words. For some reason, many people keep on trying. It boggles my mind why the masses cannot be satisfied by his words. Maybe it's because people can't read? Maybe it's because people who can read need to be spoon-fed? Seriously; what is the problem here? He wrote books. The books are, by and large, fantastic. What am I missing?

It will be very difficult to look at all these hollywood actors with impeccable dentition, trying to portray a european family, in 1925. I can only imagine the worst scenario.

Are you suggesting that Steve Buscemi would be a better casting? Actually, he's an excellent actor and probably would be. He seems like someone who could play someone named Baldy Lacrosse.

Yes, yes! I just looked him up because I'm not good at remembering names. Yes, great features and good actor. I could even see him as a Hank, but now I forget the tone of his tone of voice.

I could even see him as a Hank, but now I forget the tone of his tone of voice.
That brings up a (possibly) interesting point. Did the Bukowski drawl that we know from his later life even exist in the young Bukowski, or was it the result of his near-death hospital episode?

A lot of unusual things happen to people when they come very close to death or have traumatic brain injuries (which a massive loss of blood could cause).

It's food for thought, mobsters.

... Did the Bukowski drawl that we know from his later life even exist in the young Bukowski, or was it the result of his near-death hospital episode?
A lot of unusual things happen to people when they come very close to death or have traumatic brain injuries (which a massive loss of blood could cause).
Can't at the minute remember where I read it, but Bukowski certainly states that the slurred speech was the direct result of his massive Upper G.I bleed, that would lead to profound hypotension (low blood pressure) causing potential hypoxic brain damage (low supply of oxygen).
So until, blood supply and pressure are restored through transfusion or other fluids then yes, brain injury is a risk.

Different body part skiroom... But I am the owner of a very embarrassing but funny story from my student days, that I would never, ever repeat in polite company.

Yes, yes! I just looked him up because I'm not good at remembering names. Yes, great features and good actor. I could even see him as a Hank, but now I forget the tone of his tone of voice.

I didn't mean to say the tone of the tone of the tone of the tone...
Only the tone of his voice. :-))

Looked for the direct quote from Bukowski about his speech being affected after the bleed, couldn't find it, will probably find it in 3 months.
But instead came across a reference to his slow speech in Howard Sounes: Locked in the Arms of a Crazy Life Chapter 1 Twisted Childhood:

"It was one of the reasons Bukowski came to talk so slowly – he learned to think before speaking in case he upset his father."

Sounes did two very good Bukowski books, but if you take every word as gospel you'll find yourself being lead down more than a few garden paths. As the kids say.

I know what you're saying but reading that chapter again, it did sound plausible, I could imagine him as a small child being so intimidated by his father, that perhaps learning to think first and slow his speech down to prevent himself getting into trouble would help, although it didn't stop the beatings, unfortunately.

Sounes does say it was one of the reasons, not the reason, so perhaps this and the possible damage done after the bleed are the main reasons.

AS well as Bukowski saying that the event altered his speech (which is the most important thing) wasn't there anyone else that biographers could contact, who also knew him before the event to verify it?

Last edited:
Remember that Sounes never met Bukowski, never interviewed him, so anything he says about his childhood is second hand at best, and more often gleaned from Bukowski's own writing. Something we all have access to. Sounes himself has no special insight into Bukowski's life beyond what he got from interviewing a lot of people and doing extensive research (so again, second hand at best).

That research and those interviews made for a couple of good books. But that's all it did. It did not give him a direct view into the 10 year old Bukowski's psyche. Anything he says about how Bukowski felt or acted as a boy (that Bukowski himself hasn't said or written) is speculation and fantasy.

There's nothing wrong with speculation and fantasy. We do plenty of that here. But I just want to reiterate that, "Because Sounes said so," doesn't necessarily mean it is so. Especially when he's talking about relatively undocumented parts of Bukowski's life.

Well, you're certainly not in that territory here.

Or this company either then :), just a little decorum goes a long way... sometimes.

That research and those interviews made for a couple of good books. But that's all it did. It did not give him a direct view into the 10 year old Bukowski's psyche. Anything he says about how Bukowski felt or acted as a boy (that Bukowski himself hasn't said or written) is speculation and fantasy.

Agree with that, I'm sure the film makers will use a variety of sources ( I would hope) in the making of the film. It will be interesting to see what they do with his voice, it such a distinctive part of him, but what it was like pre 1954 who knows? Presumably the film will end with Pearl Harbour?

I also agree with Purple Stickpin, I'm really not that keen to see it, or any other bio-pic, I'm just not that into them.

Are you suggesting that Steve Buscemi would be a better casting? Actually, he's an excellent actor and probably would be. He seems like someone who could play someone named Baldy Lacrosse.

I always thought Buscemi would've made a great Dirk Diggler. So maybe cast him as Pete Mangalore?

It'd be pretty cool to get everybody's take on their ideal cast. I remember reading that PKD wanted Gregory Peck as "Deckard" and Grace Slick as "Rachael" if they would've made Blade Runner in the early 70s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back