Bukowski earnings (1 Viewer)

cirerita

Founding member
At the UCSB they have a notebook where B kept track of all his earnings, both domestic and foreign. I didn't copy all of them -there were too many- but this one is a nice example.
Please note that he earned more money from City Lights than from BSP, at least that month.
And note the total foreign amount. Not too bad for a skid-row poet who almost starved to death in Atlanta, huh? :eek:

edit: the foreign royalties were not from that month only!! They probably were from that year, I can't recall that.

Attachments

• royalties.jpg
    royalties.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 395
cirerita said:
At the UCSB they have a notebook where B kept track of all his earnings, both domestic and foreign. I didn't copy all of them -there were too many-

Is this the oldest one then?

cirerita said:
Please note that he earned more money from City Lights than from BSP, at least that month.
I think in 1983 City Lights re-released Erections, Ejaculations and General Tales of Ordinary Madness as two smaller books, Tales of Ordinary Madness and The Most Beautiful Woman in Town - that could explain why the City Lights earnings were so high at the time. I doubt that he earned more from City Lights than Black Sparrow most years.

sure. but that month CL beat the shit out of BSP!

does this Grasset ring a bell? I thought it could be from Italy or Spain, but I wasn't sure at the time...

we all have our gaps.

Grasset: I'd say it's an international publisher.
Sugar Co.: No idea, maybe Linda knows this one. Was B investing in sugar canes?????

I think you are right, cirerita. Grasset might be Edition-Grasset, a french publisher.

Check it:

--> http://www.edition-grasset.fr/chapitres/ch_bukowski2.htm

--> http://www.edition-grasset.fr/chapitres/ch_bukowski3.htm

Women was published in 1981 by Grasset. You get 568 google-hits. No 100% proof but I believe that's it.

And SugarCo seems to be one of his early Italian Publishers. Another one is "Feltrinelli". They published Post Office in `81, Ham on Rye in `82 and several others. You get 183 google-hits.

There's a list. SugarCo is mentioned several times:

--> http://www.bol.it/libri/autore?action=bollibri&tipoContrib=AU&codPers=0005508

Or check the bibliography of the Italian wikipedia:

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Bukowski

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah Johannes, thanks.

Wikipedia! Don't get me started on that piece of shit.

I tried for a while to keep the (English language) Bukowski entry relatively sane, but the wikipedia model is horribly flawed. It's great in theory. Of course, in theory 1,000 monkeys can type the works of Shakespeare. On wikipedia all the monkeys do is make a constant headache for anyone who actually cares about the factual presentation of a subject. It's like pushing Sisyphus' boulder up a hill, working on a wikipedia subject that a lot of people are interested in. Frustrating as hell.

When is the last time you saw an encyclopedia with a "trivia" section, listing dozens of band and song references? Lame, lame, lame.

HenryChinaski said:
Sugar Co.?

I think I've finally figured out what Sugar Co. is.
Today I got a copy of "Charles Bukowski: Laughing With The Gods" in the mail.
Well the interview was done in the 80's and didnt get translated till a long time later. It says...

Copyright 2000 by Fernanda Pivana
Copyright 2000 by Linda Lee Bukowski
Copyright 1982 by SugarCo, Milano, Italy

SO you do the math. ahahhahahahahaha

Ah, Italian dough. It's funny that the bulk of Bukowski's earnings seemed to be foreign - er, non-U.S. perhaps I should say, since we're international here.

Nice detective work there, Chinaski. I would have probably gone many, many years before opening that book again...I love this damn forum. We should have done this years ago.

yes I totally agree with you.

to be honest...I don't think Laughing With The Gods was translated till 2000.
it was published in 82 in Italy. That just shows you how long the whole translating process takes, although there could've been many other factors that came into play.

The Fernanda Pivano book was translated into Spanish many years ago, probably in the early 90's. The English translation -Laughing with the Gods- is a far cry from the Spanish one -Lo que más me gusta es rascarme los sobacos, literally meaning "What I enjoy the most is scratching my armpits"- which, in turn, is a semi-literal translation of the original Italian title: Quello che importa é grattarmi sotto le ascelle.

You see, translation is a funny thing... sometimes.

and yes, a forum like this one should have come into life - :p - many years ago.

Johannes said:
And SugarCo seems to be one of his early Italian Publishers.
Ah, Johannes mentioned Sugar Co. being an Italian publisher...I guess I missed that because I was blinded by the wikipedia reference. ;)

cirerita said:
yes, a forum like this one should have come into life - :p - many years ago.
Back in the day you could (usually) carry on civilized conversation on usenet. Up until the later half of the 90's, when spam and trolls killed it.

Since then I guess I've been waiting for someone else to do this. ;)

Ah, Italian dough.

I have this unpublished letter where B criticizes Italians very harshly. I think he calls them "spiders" and says it's no wonder they had Mussolini, or something like that. That was after the Ferrara movie. He was thoroughly disappointed with the whole project and I believe B felt they were kind of "mafiosi" -the Mafia guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back