Bukowski & Libraries. (1 Viewer)

Ponder

"So fuck Doubleday Doran"
RIP
I read this post somewhere else.

I havent read Hot Water Music. I'm having a helluva time finding books.
I have an ad on 'wanted' in Craiglist looking for local beat up copies of anything.
And I hit the half price bookstore (used and remainders) with no luck so far.
A four colume collection of letters but from that UK press, so far Im not thrilled with the editing.
The library doesnt have shit, hopefully we will be leaving this idiotic suburb soon and living somewhere with better loaning libraries.
Off to bed, just tried watching 'Walk The Line', I have no patience with movies.
Where did I put that little yellow pill?

g.w.
banned bukowski
from all bookstores in texas

Is Bukowski ever banned in a library in the USA?

Probably not

I can only speak for mine, and the answer is no.
There's probably too much vile stuff published
by others nowadays for Bukowski to raise a
ripple of an eyebrow. Many of the characters
in some of the popular fiction novels are porking
each other all over the place like horny piglets
(without a pamphlet) and almost make Bukowski
seem like a Victorian prude by comparison. Imagine
B's temerity to find women in long dresses sexy.
It's perverted, what! But in some of the conservative,
uptight communities his books might not be accepted
as serious works, or they're quarantined in the section
reserved for adult readers. It would be an interesting
survey to find out Bukowski's status in one's village
library, or ask the librarian if he or she has ever
heard of him. "”Poptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol if you think thats bad, at my library, i went in and said "do you have any bukowski?" and the librarian looked at me and said
"what's bukowski?"

i just walked away.

I think it's up to each library to choose what books they want to buy. They're on a budget, so some wants to spend money on Buk and others wants to spend their money differently...

I dunno, went to my local university's site and found 126 entries for Charles Bukowski. Many in the Special Collections so hours are limited and no borrowing, maybe you need to be a student. (Over in Alberta the university has a Black Sparrow collection.) My local public library has 39 Charles Bukowski listings. Some out, some due, some in.

my college library only had You Get So Alone At Times That It Just Makes Sense.
the library about 35 mins away from where I live said they could get Betting On The Muse from a neighboring library.

I got tired of this bullshit so I just bought them all and I suggest that you all do the same thing.

A Rose of Snaffle in a Buggy World

Originally Posted by hannah
I havent read Hot Water Music. I'm having a helluva time finding books.
I have an ad on 'wanted' in Craiglist looking for local beat up copies of anything.
And I hit the half price bookstore (used and remainders) with no luck so far.
A four colume collection of letters but from that UK press, so far Im not thrilled with the editing.
The library doesnt have shit, hopefully we will be leaving this idiotic suburb soon and living somewhere with better loaning libraries.
Off to bed, just tried watching 'Walk The Line', I have no patience with movies.
Where did I put that little yellow pill?

Hi Hannah,

You're in Dallas? Not sure how close you are to the Dallas Public Library, but I happened to check from here and they have over 50 listings for a Bukowski, Charles.

If anyone is interested in doing a Bukowski library search in some of the major and minor cities in the US, Mongolia or Timbuktu, please post your finding and share how the old duffer is making headway around the world. I'd be curious. (I wonder what they have in Berlin, Rome and Paris?) What I find most interesting is that I did not need a membership card for the DPL in order to search their database. Libraries have come along way in the digital age, and I find that heartening. ::Poptop::

You're in Dallas? Not sure how close you are to the Dallas Public Library, but I happened to check from here and they have over 50 listings for a Bukowski, Charles.

Dallas Public Library has a TON of Bukowski. Unfortunately, I lost my student ID card, and since I'm out of school until summer, I can't get another until then. Dallas allows all students to get a DPL card, regardless of city of residence, but since I can't show that I'm a student...I have to make do with the three books of poetry the Richardson Public Library has until I can afford to buy books. So lame.

But yeah...they even have a copy of Barfly. I would assume the bulk of his work is at the J. Erik Jonsson library downtown, so Hannah, if you're going, take nose plugs.

Amazing

The Los Angeles Public Library returns 82 matches for Bukowski, Charles including a few rarities in the rare books department. Surprisingly, they have quite a few Russian translations of his books... surprising because there's really not a huge Russian population in L.A.

http://catalog1.lapl.org:80/cgi-bin/cw_cgi?resultsScreen+27924+1+10+0

Wow. Seems fitting somehow too. Incredible. Thanks.

I might add that I happened to find out that the San Diego library has a borrow books by MAIL program. I'm not sure of course about other cities. I think that could become a major trend too since these devious libraries probably are in devious communication with each other. Things like this can catch on fast. I also find it of interest here in Sedona that most of the books have been donated. That's a great reflection on the community itself, as most libraries haven't the funds, or perhaps even the interest, to order books that one might consider out of the mainstream. ::Poptop::

I didn't get any books the last time I queried the university library here in Orlando. Found some of the Henry Miller I've seen mentioned, though.

In The Round

Well, Bukowski is certainly archived in the Library of Congress,
where there's a total of 82 works, including All The Assholes In
the World And Mine
, the thought of which I find highly amusing.
The risk of his extinction as an author in the coming decades, I
would say is practically nil. He's in, period, and will last.

In the Berkeley College Library, Bukowski has more works
on the shelves than Hemingway. I was more than amazed to
find that out. So my overall curiosity about Bukowski's
general availability has been satisfied, and he's all over the place,
even in certain modest libraries in North Dakota and Maine. He
made it into the same libraries that kept him alive when he was
coming up as a writer himself, and I think he would find great
satisfaction in that. I think this is what's called coming full circle,
one of the aims of becoming an artist to begin with. Wonderful.

FYI, my books are in the Library of Congress too. You just have to send them, and they will archive them. Doesn't mean they're important. ;)

That link no worky, but if it has to do with Audrey Hepburn, it ain't me, babe.

My silly mistake among the many possibilities...and I had a genuine interest in finding
out about your work. I must have spent at least 30 minutes trying to sort out the right
author...."babe."

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA: made my day.

Yeah, HC, I truly shit myself on that one. ;-)

"”Audrey Hepburn

My silly mistake among the many possibilities...and I had a genuine interest in finding out about your work. I must have spent at least 30 minutes trying to sort out the right author...."babe."
If you read any animosity in my reply, it wasn't intended.

Hey, mjp,

Thanks. I wasn't sure. Got a good laugh at myself. Still laughing.

"”yr girl, Audrey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back