• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Bukowski material up for auction at PBA Galleries on October 10th (and Frank Nettelbeck) (1 Viewer)

They also had six titles by John Fante, one signed by John Fante (it said). I looked at the photo and the signed one was actually by Dan Fante. I sent them a message and they corrected it.

I got the 2 boxes of Henry Miller archives. Mainly interested in the correspondence form Jon & Lou Webb...
Dear Henry,

Things bad here. The paper for your book arrived and we had to pay for it with onions and empty bottles. It's a damned miracle, but we were able to make the ink from shoe polish that we borrowed from the landlady. Meanwhile we now owe her two months back rent, and three tins of Shinola.

Am mailing New York City for a loan from the Rockefellers. If they turn me down again, I'm not sure where we will find the pennies to keep Lou and I alive long enough to finish the book. Just last week Lou had a coughing fit and her left eye popped out of its socket. 18 hours in the hospital waiting room, then a Spic doctor pushed the eyeball back in and handed me a bill for $375. I showed him the pistol in my waist and he pissed his pants and tore up the bill. Three days later it came in the mail. Postage due.

Henry, you know I wouldn't ask, but -- oh, hell, forget it. Lou and I will make it, and god damn it, we will finish the book! I have a belt we can boil and eat. Suspenders are good enough for the peg-legged rag man and the spades who empty our chamber pots, so I suppose they're damn well good enough for me!

Lou sends her love,

Jon

Do *special collections* normally mark their holdings? One of the items in this lot (the lot I believe Bill purchased) is stamped "California State Library". That is unfortunate and seemingly unnecessary.

http://www.pbagalleries.com/view-au...log/id/137/?page=1&key=miller&cat=&xclosed=no

$720 for the avante gardes makes me realize I need to get a hold of the last four issues and sell the lot. There are 14 issues but 15 covers. One of the issues was released with a special "Anniversary Issue" cover. Same contents just a variant cover.

Really? It doesn't sound ghost written. Who would have done that -- Gypsy Lou? Even so, if she had, it's still from Loujon Press to Henry, so why not keep it if you're the estate (or whoever held it originally)?

I think Gunn was just using the Malone copy as a price reference, not trying to sell that actual copy.
why would one post a proxy-photograph of a 1944-magazine rather than the actual copy that he wants to sell? Condition is a factor and no proxy-pic could do the job.

Really? It doesn't sound ghost written. Who would have done that -- Gypsy Lou? Even so, if she had, it's still from Loujon Press to Henry, so why not keep it if you're the estate (or whoever held it originally)?
Under advice from my attorney, I believe this "may" have "possibly" been written by a ghost named MJP....[I see d gray beat me to it...!]

The belt part was brilliant. The eye ball getting knocked out was a little over the top, but that's what makes for good fiction. But it also fit her storyline perfectly. The woman has been on her deathbed since 1960 and she's still fucking alive! Great job MJP...

I don't know what any of you are talking about. I found that letter on the Internet. It was on tumblr. Or Facebook or something. Fully attributed. They said.

Tell me about it. I don't have my own author website (where I sell books -- I have a goofy free blog that doesn't allow me to link to my books on Amazon), but I hear that for most writers the money doesn't exactly flow in from the internet. An example: a year before he died, I sent a check to the author of BUG DEATH for several of his books of poetry. He told me that I was the first person ever to buy anything off his website, and it's a good site, well made with lots of texts, audio, photos, etc. I thought you'd appreciate this example, mjp, because I know you were a big fan of Frank Nettelbeck. ;)

I was the first person ever to buy anything off his website...
That could be partly due to his winning personality.

And for what it's worth, that site was about as far from "good" as a site could be. It was Geocities circa 1997 "good" I suppose. Almost. What with his stories of robbing the Goodwill dropboxes and all.

I just saw that Nettlebeck gave you folks a shout out back then... ha!

THE FUTURE OF BOOKSTORES AND INDIANS

...he's (Nettelbeck) a fraud
of an artist and a fraud
of a human being.

-bukowski.net

I also used to go on these runs
to Powell's Books in Portland
years ago with a little stubbie
pencil with an eraser before
it all went computer and when
nobody was looking I'd change
the prices on all these army
green covered ethnology books
on the shelves about the Indians
printed by the US government
ca. 1900 from $150 to $3 each
then buy them and bring them
all back and sell them to this rich
old white lady in a wheelchair in
Weed, CA and make damn good
money that I would piss away
with my Paiute girlfriend on beer

Reading through those old threads, MJP was such a well adjusted, positive young man. What could have happened to make him so jaded and angry before his time? ... Oh, that's right, he manages this place...

While I was reading through Nettlebeck's poems online, I kept coming across these hints and suggestions that he was a Vietnam veteran. It just didn't smell right to me. So I called him on his bullshit, knowing that a REAL veteran would fire right back with what branch, dates of service, and other details. I was prepared to publicly apologize but it turns out I didn't have to.

Last edited:
Frank definitely had issues. It might have been "the lure of the underdog," but I was curious about his poetry, knowing all too well the limitations of his personality. What I found was damned good poetry, but that's a matter of taste. As for the website, it may have been lousy design wise -- I don't know. What I liked about it is the depth and variety of content. Not just poems but lots of (too much some would say) biographical info, even down to robbing the Goodwill boxes. He didn't hide the negative parts of himself -- maybe he should have. I liked the audio snippets enough to burn them all to a CD. I thought the website had a lot of substance. It was still up the last time I checked.

(Why on earth would I even bring up Nettelbeck? I must be a masochist, but there it is.)

It's been a couple years now, but back when I wrote him I first read through the thread(s) two or three times, trying to find the exact trigger point where it fell apart, what it was that some one said that turned him from friendly to hostile. I never really found what I was looking for -- a reason. It must have happened in his mind, off line.

I first read through the thread(s) two or three times, trying to find the exact trigger point where it fell apart, what it was that some one said that turned him from friendly to hostile.

i think he arrived hostile but post #10 i'd say blew it up.

Last edited:
Just reread the thread. Seems he got pissed over the comment about his website. I never separated the website from the blog -- just took it all as a whole, so my liking the content has to do with both, combined. Privately, he told me he had no problem with Buknet people -- he just likes to rant and rave. He laughed it off. I suspect sober vs drunk may also have played a part.

i think he arrived hostile...
I think he got out of bed in the morning hostile.

No person is just one thing, and no one is only the worst part of their character. But if you lead with hostility, you can't expect anything but hostility in return. I'm no stranger to stirring up hostility, but when I do it, I do it knowingly, and who knows, maybe Nettelbeck did too. I just think that if you have the MUST-THROW-SHIT-INTO-FAN character trait, you better have the awareness to know when to stir up trouble, and you also better have some humor or finesse to deal with the results. Otherwise you're just going to go through life covered in shit.

What I don't understand is why so many people who are trying to sell something (which he was when he showed up) don't understand that hostility might not be the most effective way to go. That, I'm afraid, is nothing but pure stupidity. And despite what Nettelbeck wrote or how many people found his writing to be worthwhile, he struck me as a profoundly stupid man. When you combine stupid with antagonistic (hello VALDEZ!), there isn't anything left to appreciate.

I think he stirred up shit knowing he was doing it, and that he had a sense of humor about it (although it didn't show, and he was the only one amused), but, like you say, his timing was terrible. He was his own worse enemy in that way, and possibly in every other way. He had literary intelligence, but seemed clueless about how to live, how to get along with other people. I say all that by inference, as I never met him and know nothing about he he got along with others in real life, off-line. In a lot of ways, he reminds me of Steve Richmond. On the one hand, they have this big literary talent, but on the other, they make such bad choices in life, and there's a recklessness and indifference to consequences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back