@bukowski.net Gmail accounts (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
I experimented with providing free Gmail accounts over at smog.net, and it's worked out really well so far. Now Google has approved me to set it up for bukowski.net as well.

The difference with these Gmail accounts is they are not [email protected], but [email protected]. The rest of the Gmail experience is the same. If you've never used Gmail, it's a webmail client (yes, more webmail, I know) but it holds 2 gigabytes of mail, all searchable, tagable, filable --- some love it, some hate it, but I use it for all my email now, so you can guess where I am on that spectrum.

Anyway, if you are interested in an email address @bukowski.net, now is the time to jump. I can only offer 25 of these, so if you're interested, do it now. If I don't get 25 of you here who want it, I'll put a link up on the main site navigation.

---

Geek notes: I just updated the MX records for the bukowski.net domain, so it might be 24 hours or so until these accounts will actually receive mail.

Also, I have to set them up manually, so it may be a day or so before I get to you. When I do, you'll receive an email that tells you where to log in and gives you a temporary password, that you will be prompted to change once you log in for the first time.

If more than 25 people sign up, I will only be able take the first 25. The signup form puts a time stamp on your entry, so no crying if you get in late. ;)

I just discovered that Google gave us 100 accounts (!), so I guess I'll go ahead and put that link in the navigation. There should be plenty to go around.

now thats a cool email address!

is there pop3 access to them too?

hank solo said:
now thats a cool email address!

is there pop3 access to them too?
There's POP access to regular Gmail accounts, so I'd assume to these as well.

Just checked, yes:

Settings > Forwarding and POP

So I just signed up for my new bukowski.net email. The thing is that i'm really not very keen when it comes to all this techno stuff. So once its activated how do I get into it? will it ask me for a password?

I do thind buk would've been proud!

Nice touch MJP, tell me: is there any way of linking this new address to an already existing gmail account? You know, like using the Bukowski.net one as an alias?

One thing: gmail (Google) reserves the right to access all stored messages on its site for commercial purposes (surveys etc.). Its supposed to be anonymous, but keep it in mind just the same.

One other thing: gmail provides excellent service from a cell/mobile-phone (something this site doesn't do yet...;) ) If you wanna check your email on the road.

jerry said:
So once its activated how do I get into it? will it ask me for a password?
When I set up the account you get an email telling you how/where to log in. All the new accounts that came in in the last 12 hours or so are set up, so you should have received your email.

Erik said:
Nice touch MJP, tell me: is there any way of linking this new address to an already existing gmail account? You know, like using the Bukowski.net one as an alias?
I think so...try Settings > Accounts. Never tried it myself.

One thing: gmail (Google) reserves the right to access all stored messages on its site for commercial purposes (surveys etc.). Its supposed to be anonymous, but keep it in mind just the same.
They scan the messages in order to present "relevant" ads. But I don't even see the ads anymore (one line above the inbox list).

There was a lot of hubub when Gmail debuted about privacy issues, and I'll admit that I stayed away from it for a long time. But I use it for all my mail now and I really don't give a shit if Google (or anyone else) scans my mail. I'm over it. ;)

mjp said:
I really don't give a shit if Google (or anyone else) scans my mail. I'm over it. ;)
Same here. Gmail is a nice, efficient product.
I would also recommend Google's free photo handling program called Picasa: http://picasa.google.com/. Truely user friendly.

Some of you are saying that you are not getting the sign up email when I create the accounts. Check your 'spam' or 'junk' folders in your email program, they could be getting stuck there. If it's not in your trash and you haven't received it yet, send me a private message and I will reply with your login info.

originally posted by mjp
check your spam or junk mailfolders...

Yes, that's where mine was.
By the way, the only way I can get back into my new email is to
go through my old email, click on the link and sign in.
Is there any other way? A more direct way?

I think we'll be using this link (except for administrators)

http://mail.google.com/hosted/bukowski.net

Will you be putting that as a link in the navigation menu of this site?

BTW, POP access does indeed work perfectly. If you don't know what POP access means, allow me to explain. It means that your new @bukowski.net email address can be accessed via your usual email client - which might be Outlook or Thunderbird for example.

You just need to know that your username will be your full bukowski.net email address, the incoming server is pop.googlemail.com but the port is 995 rather than the more common 110, and it requires an SSL secure connection.
If you want to use the google outgoing server it is smtp.googlemail.com, uses port 587 and a TLS secure connection.

Complete guides on how to set up most email software can be read here:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?ctx=%67mail&hl=en_GB&answer=12103

Just make sure that you enable POP access on the google mail site first.

thanks for the tips on how to set up the POP thing. I was going nuts 'cos I was using pop.gmail.com instead of pop.googlemail.com

I can receive messages using this account but cannot send them using Thunderbird. I surely have a problem in the smtp configuration. I'm using the same username as in the Pop window, the 587 port and the TLS secure thing. The error message I get is "domain not accepted".

any idea?

I'm sure getting a lot of reports of people not receiving the set up email though. Sometimes it was in a junk folder, sometimes not, so I don't know what to make of it.

If you didn't get the login info within 12 hours of so of setting up the account, send me a private message here and I'll get it to you.

Thanks mjp, for the opportunity, and for taking the time to set this up.

I'm having a second beer on your honour.

mjp
kudos - i've just browsed the offerings - been meaning to look around but...
you have one strong walled castle here - coming from a digital dysfunctional the compliment may not be worthy of your 'trophy' shelf - nonetheless the awe carries the weight of a very large elephant's ass -
in case i've tied the words in knots again (i seem to hide my meanings)
you did (and continue to do) good!

enjoying the ride...
rrat

Made a change today that allows you to log in to check your mail at http://mail.bukowski.net, rather than the cumbersome old URL that you probably all have bookmarked anyway.

If you don't have an @bukowski.net email address, sorry to say they are all gone. A few are set aside for supporting members who want them, but we went through the 100 accounts that Google gave us pretty quickly.

Hello, I might have forgotten my password... huh this sounds silly, but I'm wondering if there is any way to reset it, mjp? I don't know if they are still working, to be honest I don't think I ever got anything other than the occasional intelligent spam in the inbox, even though I have the address in my signature, which I meant to a way to be contacted by any member here.

cheers

There's something I quite don't get about these accounts. I thought there was a 2000 MB limit, but that limit -at least in my case- has been automatically increased. Now I have a 6393 MB limit, but I'm sure it will be increased in a few weeks. I noticed that the percentage is always about the same, 15% or 16%.

You are currently using 969 MB (15%) of your 6393 MB.

Is there actually a limit? It just seems weird that the limit is increased as I send messages.

The limit is constantly increasing, like a regular Gmail account. So it's unlikely that you will ever run into a storage issue.

Jose, I reset your password. Just PMed it to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back