Bukowski novice here! (1 Viewer)

Hello from London!

I'm new here and keen on getting more Bukowski. I got into Bukowski through reading John Fante and would like to get some more of the man who he influenced. I have read Factotum and a selection of his poems and reallly like his energetic style and honest writing. I am particulary taken with his poems and would like to get some more of his work. I'm not huge poetry fanatic I must admit but his work seems to grab me more than most poetry I have come across. While I enjoy his humour and no thrills writing style he is most recognized by I also like the more poignant reflective moments too.

Oh yeah I am currently reading Locked in the arms of a crazy life by Howard Sounes...pretty good bio so far!

London for you

Oxford For me

The Brits are taking Over!!!

Welcome aboard, Iv just ordered some John Fante and im looking forwards to reading it, What do you think of his style of writing compared to Buk?

What do you think of his style of writing compared to Buk?
I have only read Factotum but I have read most of Fante's books. From Factotum I definitely saw a Fante influence...they both have quite a simple pacy style. Fante often uses a lot of imagery and you can really feel the passion drip from his words, even over the the smallest descriptions. Like Bukowski Fante's books are very auto-biographical and deal with similar themes of rejection and love. The protagonists also share a similar anger and a nihilistic streak but also show great passion for the world and life. Fante's writing style is hugely evocative and passionate. The main characters have a certain eagerness and desperation to them that is so absurd you can't help but laugh out loud but also feel their sadness. Like Chinaski Fante's main characters are always heavily floored often almost unlikable, but somehow you can't not warm to them.

This is just my view though. I wouldn't say every Bukowski lover would fall for Fante's work, but you can definitely see how much Buk liked Fante.

Out of interest what book(s) did you order?

(sorry my grammar and punctuation sucks!)

Welcome aboard, HiddenFormular! - The bio by Sounes you're reading, is the best Buk bio so far (although the author seems to carry a chip on his shoulder in other areas)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok my name is Josh. I'm a 20 year old Uni dropout.

I have no idea what I wanna do with my life career wise.
I have a huge love for film, literature, art and music.
I hate sports but love riding my bike, climbing trees and going on walks with my dog who I adore.
I play guitar in a hardcore punk band...
...but love anything from jazz to folk to grindcore.
Bob Dylan is my all time favourite
...as well as John Fante, Edward Hopper and Sergio Leone.
I am currrently doing an admin job which sucks. It's an easy job (I have internet connection so I just surf the web all day!) but it doesn't give me any form of stimulation or satisfaction at all.
I love tea! beer and red wine. I often drink spirits but I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed them!

Sometimes I feel like giving up already but I know I musn't..there is too much to see in this world but I really hate being tied down and feeling trapped. I guess that's life though.

Anyway...that's all I can think of about about myself. I have just seen two Buk books in an Oxfam near me (Post Office & The Most Beautiful Woman in Town) so I will snap them up after work. I have too many books on the go at the moment! I gotta pace my self.

Ciao!

a brit concerned about grammer and punctuation
go figger
(don't know 'bout your side of the pond
over here it's mustn't )
now before y'all, and i do mean all of ya, start jumpin' up and down
i'm just sayin' hello to the guy
in my playul, inimicable manner
he gets it
don'tcha, mate?

and screw pacin' yer self
read everything of buke's you can get
soon as you can
old guy wrote more'n 40 books
you'll know when you're startin' to catch up

ok ok, don't sweat it
ain't gonna make any cracks about the queen

man's gotta draw a line somewhere, eh?

ta,
nick

I have only read Factotum but I have read most of Fante's books. From Factotum I definitely saw a Fante influence...they both have quite a simple pacy style. Fante often uses a lot of imagery and you can really feel the passion drip from his words, even over the the smallest descriptions. Like Bukowski Fante's books are very auto-biographical and deal with similar themes of rejection and love. The protagonists also share a similar anger and a nihilistic streak but also show great passion for the world and life. Fante's writing style is hugely evocative and passionate. The main characters have a certain eagerness and desperation to them that is so absurd you can't help but laugh out loud but also feel their sadness. Like Chinaski Fante's main characters are always heavily floored often almost unlikable, but somehow you can't not warm to them.

This is just my view though. I wouldn't say every Bukowski lover would fall for Fante's work, but you can definitely see how much Buk liked Fante.

Out of interest what book(s) did you order?

(sorry my grammar and punctuation sucks!)

Cheers, part II.

One of the many great joys I have reading BUK is laughing out loud. When I was in an emergency room, tears in my eyes, I reached into a satchel and pulled out a BUK book of short stories. I read one, and began laughing. My brother, a lawyer, asked me what was humorous. Good question relative to the dire situation surrounding us. I opened the BUK book, pointed to a story, and said, "Read this in the next five minutes." He did; then he smiled, eyes twinkling, and said, "What's the next one I should read? They can't be all that twisted and funny!" He was wrong, and admitted so. While he never became a BUK fan, we both reflect upon that dire moment with fondness; and will never forget how BUK brought light into that dark instance. In fact, he tells the story more than I do. So, man, I agree, BUK can make one laugh. Out loud. And damn, the world could use more of that. Eh?

Cheers, again and again and again "”

Pax,

homeless mind

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, Hidden Formula! I've read several volumes of Bukowski's poetry. There's really not a bad one to start with. Though certain volumes have poems from certain times in his life.

The Rooming House Madrigals has some of his earliest stuff.

Pleasures of the Damned has a hodge podge of stuff from many earlier volumes. Plus some uncollected stuff.

"The Flash of Light Behind the Mountain" always sticks out in my mind. Because some of the poems in there make me laugh out loud every time.

a brit concerned about grammer and punctuation
go figger
(don't know 'bout your side of the pond
over here it's mustn't )
now before y'all, and i do mean all of ya, start jumpin' up and down
i'm just sayin' hello to the guy
in my playul, inimicable manner
he gets it
don'tcha, mate?

and screw pacin' yer self
read everything of buke's you can get
soon as you can
old guy wrote more'n 40 books
you'll know when you're startin' to catch up

ok ok, don't sweat it

man's gotta draw a line somewhere, eh?

ta,
nick
Dear Woody, or Will Rogers or whatever other folksy mid-twentieth century homespun scamp you are so painfully imitating: please start using sentences, or I'll assume these are poems and move them to the poetry thread.

Have a nice day, pardner.

Don't worry you can mock our dear old Elizabeth as much as you like. The Royal Family are a bit of a gimmick nowadays anyway...a tired old joke those ruddy Windsors!;)

One of the many great joys I have reading BUK is laughing out loud. When I was in an emergency room, tears in my eyes, I reached into a satchel and pulled out a BUK book of short stories. I read one, and began laughing. My brother, a lawyer, asked me what was humorous. Good question relative to the dire situation surrounding us. I opened the BUK book, pointed to a story, and said, "Read this in the next five minutes." He did; then he smiled, eyes twinkling, and said, "What's the next one I should read? They can't be all that twisted and funny!" He was wrong, and admitted so. While he never became a BUK fan, we both reflect upon that dire moment with fondness; and will never forget how BUK brought light into that dark instance. In fact, he tells the story more than I do. So, man, I agree, BUK can make one laugh. Out loud. And damn, the world could use more of that. Eh?
Haha for sure...nice story by the way.

Welcome, Hidden Formula! I've read several volumes of Bukowski's poetry. There's really not a bad one to start with. Though certain volumes have poems from certain times in his life.

The Rooming House Madrigals has some of his earliest stuff.

Pleasures of the Damned has a hodge podge of stuff from many earlier volumes. Plus some uncollected stuff.

"The Flash of Light Behind the Mountain" always sticks out in my mind. Because some of the poems in there make me laugh out loud every time.
Cheers. I just got The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over the Hills...mindblowing stuff. I also have Post Office now and am gonna bid for Ham on Rye. There's something about Bukowski makes you greedily gobble up everything he created. (I had a similar panic-buy when I first got into Fante) It's highly possible that this is just my impatient & slightly obsessive characteristic showing through...ahhh either way I feel I little overwhelmed by the swear volume of his bibliography.

Arghh

There's something about Bukowski makes you greedily gobble up everything he created. (I had a similar panic-buy when I first got into Fante) It's highly possible that this is just my impatient & slightly obsessive characteristic showing through...ahhh either way I feel I little overwhelmed by the swear volume of his bibliography.

Arghh

You too? Here I thought I was the only one who felt that urge. I just can't help myself whenever a "new" volume of Bukowski hits the shelf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back