Bukowski peculiar slang terms (1 Viewer)

..bobe, i like your explanation best.
many thanks to all of you.

i am drunk right now so hug me..:)
get yourself a nucki.
..ah alcohol, temporal window out of slavery.

...bout 86'd and i still dont know what it means...

it's a little late now to explain the word. Has been done already here.
But I'll add two references to Buk on the term:

- in the Bukowski-Tapes, the episode, where he's driven through East-Hollywood, showing his old places (I think it was in this one), he tells (not verbatim): "They trew me out of the place, [was it 'The Playwrite?] - gave me the 86."

- in 'The Roominghouse Madrigals' (p. 139) there's a fine poem named '86'd', ending with the words:

"and finally the Great Bartender will lean forward
white and pure and strong and mystic
to tell you that you've had
enough
just when you feel like
you're getting
started."

Buk developed his ear for language on the colorful slang of L.A. in the 30s, so no surprise his work is peppered with terms like "86'd" and "high yellow". Some of these have passed from fashion, others are no longer considered polite.

A few years back I was given a dictionary of American slang, pub'd in the '40s. Just chock full of colorful terms, great stuff. Railroad slang, diner slang, gangster usage, military terms, etc. Plus a billion terms for 'drunk' in a separate index in the back. Whoever put this thing together knew what he was doing.

If you ever see an old dictionary like this at a thrift or book sale, pick it up.

-Charlie

I absolutely love "subnormal."

can you link to / point out / re-explain ATD? I could never figure that one out, searched and couldn't find the thread...

In my misspent youth to be 86'd from a bar meant your behavior warranted banishment for good. As I was on an occasion or two. I thought moxie to be skill, savvy or nerve.

slang the good stuff

one of the best things in america i love to find were the slang came from like west or east coast?and when ?i just had to add my two cents .mr. b used it well . it was apart of him and his way of making a point with a sly smile.

Canned Heat/Typer

Canned Heat is indeed sterno - You filter it through a cloth, often a sock, and its also called "Squeeze" or "Pink Squeeze" because of the color of the petroleum jelly it comes from. It has a high wood alcohol content and can lead to all kinds of physical/mental problems, not least of all blindness & death.
Also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the word "typer."

Canned Heat is indeed sterno - You filter it through a cloth, often a sock, and its also called "Squeeze" or "Pink Squeeze" because of the color of the petroleum jelly it comes from. It has a high wood alcohol content and can lead to all kinds of physical/mental problems, not least of all blindness & death.

The Blues man Tommy Johnson released a record in 1928 (1929?) called Canned Heat Mama, making the expression Canned Heat even more popular. Tommy Johnson is also said to have died from Canned Heat. In 1965 the blues band Canned Heat took their name from Tommy Johnson's record. On the cover of their first record you see a couple of Sterno cans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moxie is an American word meaning:
sass, courage, spunk, determination, attitude

Also, he used the phrase Duker (Duke' er) as in put up your dukes.
He was referring, of course, to boxing.

Put up your fists, and prepare to box. Prepare to Duke it out.

Interestingly enough, Boxing was much more popular years ago.
Maybe not like Soccer, but it was much more popular. Sort of a
cultural thing.

Put up your fists, and prepare to box. Prepare to Duke it out.
Interestingly enough, Boxing was much more popular years ago.

Reminds me of that funny story in 'South of no north', when he's beating the shit out of Hem.

...and of course His stone on Green Hills.

"i spent it on drink"
"10 year drunk"
"she's a looker"
phrases i've never heard outside of bukowski. i now use these and others ares copying. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back