Bukowski Research Paper (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello i was wondering if I could get some help with a topic for a research paper. My general topic is Charles Bukowski, but now i must find a smaller topic about him that is:

1. Debatable
2. Plausible
3. Consequential

I chose Bukowski as my topic before I knew that I was going to be restricted to these three criteria. I am finding it very hard to come up with a topic and would appreciate any help that you guys can provide.

How about discussing if Bukowski was a beat writer (he was not). That seems debatable, though to some...

Bill

First: give us your take on Bukowski. Why did you chose him? How did you find out about him? What have you read? Do you recite him at parties? Do you steal library books or just sniff their binders?

I chose Bukowski because both the man and his work interest me enough to allow me to write an 8 page research paper without getting bored. I found out about him a few years ago when I picked up my uncles copy of Burning in Water Drowning in Flame. This book is responsible for getting me into poetry. I even turned the poem Machineguns Towers and Timeclocks in to a song. I have also read What Matters Most, Last Night of the Earth Poems, Post Office, and have recently grabbed Betting on the Muse, Hollywood, as well as Howard Sounes's biography of him from the library.

I was thinking about taking one of his works and focusing on the theories as they manifest in the writing, but i'm unsure how i could do that. Also, if I find a good topic that doesn't meet all three of the criteria i'm not worried about it. It's more important for me to write something interesting, and these restrictions really just piss me off and can keep me from doing that.

1. Debatable
2. Plausible
3. Consequential
The question could be, did he change the "voice" of American poetry (and ultimately most modern poetry)? It's debatable by those who say he did not, it's plausible, because he did, and it's very consequential. Because he did.

But my advice would be to quit the class, and quite possibly college altogether. But no one asks for my advice. Probably for good reason.

OK, good take.
Here's a topical topic: pick a volume of poetry and find out how many poems actually are about drinking, fucking, and horse racing.
How many poems are there about small, everyday things?

Or how much can you relate to it. Like Eric said the small everyday things.
What makes you want to read him and keeps you interested?
Apart from all the others.

When I first started reading his writing I didn't put it down (I still don't). I just keep reading. With no effort the words keep crossing in front of my eyes.
And I suck it all in.
I don't do that with many others, very very few.

Bukowski: Wrack & Ruin The Destruction & Salvation of American Poetry

The question could be, did he change the "voice" of American poetry (and ultimately most modern poetry)? It's debatable by those who say he did not, it's plausible, because he did, and it's very consequential. Because he did.
Hosho McCreesh wrote a 4 pages ("11 x 8 1/2") essay on this subject.

If McCreesh gives me permission, I'll send the essay to you, odnarb reduts.
That if- you're interested.

Thanks.
Could be good advice, "Tune in turn on drop out".
Though it is hard to give without understanding the persons motives.

Perhaps your topic could be "that setting assignments like [the one you have before you] causes students to leave college".

It meets all 3 critera.

Hosho McCreesh wrote a 4 pages ("11 x 8 1/2") essay on this subject.

If McCreesh gives me permission, I'll send the essay to you, odnarb reduts.
That if- you're interested.

That could be very helpful, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Perhaps your topic could be "that setting assignments like [the one you have before you] causes students to leave college".

It meets all 3 critera.

I think i might do that, thanks.

hey, brando, put 'HAM ON RYE' on your reading list!

Will do.

Thanks everyone for all your help, i'll still take more suggestions if you've got them.

He must have read what Buk says about the use of universities in 'Ham on Rye' ...

Lesson learned.
Give him a straight A.

Hello i was wondering if I could get some help with a topic for a research paper. My general topic is Charles Bukowski, but now i must find a smaller topic about him that is:

1. Debatable
2. Plausible
3. Consequential

I chose Bukowski as my topic before I knew that I was going to be restricted to these three criteria. I am finding it very hard to come up with a topic and would appreciate any help that you guys can provide.
Welcome to the boards, odnarb!:D

Like bospress said, you could write about Buk's classification as a beat writer. He didn't think of himself that way, but a lot of people do because he is a contemporary. Look to his dealings with Ginsberg. Buk admired him, but at the same time was envious of his fame.

Or you could write about his association with the Nazi party. He was born in Germany and saw himself as such. One wonders if he was truly a nazi or if he just joined because it made him feel closer to home.

I know I learned a lot from Barry Miles' bio of Buk. But a lot of people here will guide you to Howard Sounes' "Locked in the Arms of a Crazy Life." Probably a more in-depth bio of Bukowski.

Good luck!:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back