Bukowski Symposium (2 Viewers)

Yesterday was a busy day. I reset that counter because it used to count search engine spiders, which is lame. Especially when yahoo releases hundreds of them onto your site at the same time. So now it should be accurate.

Most users ever online was 49, Today at 06:09 PM

As we get further into winter and more people around the world (North of the equator anyway) are inside, avoiding the cold and snow, expect to see that number go up.

I'm hoping that, in some small way, my putting the words Charles Bukowski in my signature line, will help push the hits up over Wikipedia in the Charles Bukowski department.

as if, and so wut

but I would like to see wikipedia second place it for a while - call me funny

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

I think the wiki naming convention has a lot to do with why they are first in a search for the full name, since the page name is the full name:

/wiki/Charles_Bukowski

But eventually we'll top them there too. It's just a matter of time, and we've got plenty of time, right? Ha.

According to the stats for the site most people search for "bukowski" anyway. They will find us. We have built it, they will come.

So to speak.

Maybe we should have a new thread
Where all of us can reply once (or 2x, 3x...) with->
Charles Bukowski,
And all new members can only post
Once they've replied to this thread
With their very own prescripted
Charles Bukowski
reply.

I've got a great name for the thread :D

ha - there you go.

Well, I did some tweaks to the forum software a while back that should boost us up. They already have, actually, considering that we were not the first result for "Bukowski" until very recently.

We could raffle off a bus tour, perhaps. Or a CD of Bukowski poems sung in an operatic style. I'll work on getting those donations.

Membership increases slowly, and that is fine. It's one of those places that you will find if you were meant to find it.

I never imagined there would even be 100 users here, so it's all cake, as the kids say. The statistics (Threads: 1,903, Posts: 24,289, Members: 1,459) are pretty small in comparison to the large forums out there, but already far beyond what I thought was probable or possible. It's a testament to the wide appeal of Bukowski's work.

Not a lot of forums dedicated to contemporary writers out there. According to my 3 minutes of research, anyway. Anyone know of any? Now I want to do comparisons. Ha.

Take a deep breath and start here. . . The Official Chuck Palahniuk Site - The Cult

Move here: Welcome to the Neil Gaiman Message Board

Maybe go here: This is a discussion forum for authors Will Christopher Baer, Craig Clevenger and Stephen Graham Jones

Oh, lets see now... there's this place: Jim Goad's NETJERK LOUNGE

etc., and so forth. Balh, blah, blah...

Hoo, soma dem boys is famous, iya! I've only heard of one of them, which goes to show you how connected I am...

Now that's a big forum! Half a million posts is considered "big," they have a million posts over there. Note that over 60% of those posts are in their equivalent to our "all things *not* bukowski" forum.

Oh, lets see now... there's this place: Jim Goad's NETJERK LOUNGE
Wow, now I know where all the "nigger" jokes went to die. What an ugly, useless shithole.

Now that's a big forum! Half a million posts is considered "big," they have a million posts over there. Note that over 60% of those posts are in their equivalent to our "all things *not* bukowski" forum.

Notice all the adds?
Even with addblocker plus on Firefox, it's like a Vegas Hotel.

Yeah, very shocking that such a successful author making all that big author money couldn't afford to run a busy web site without ads. Or maybe he just likes the ads because they're ironic and pomo.

A guy named Dennis runs the site.
His intentions said he needed the money to keep the site up.

I don't know.

I think he had some initial luck as a sort of writing community. It's rather degenerated to
it's present sad commercial state. Sort of another road side attraction on the
information super highway.

A guy named Dennis runs the site.
His intentions said he needed the money to keep the site up.
Forums become quite a bitch to manage - technically - when they get very large. They require dedicated web and database servers, etc. I could see a million post forum being a very expensive and time consuming proposition.

I guess when I see "official" forum of so-and-so, I kind of assume so-and-so is ponying up some dough to keep it going.

charlesbukowski.jpg

Most users ever online was 124, Yesterday (January 7) at 08:04 PM.

I'm not sure what this shows.

In one week this place will have been around for 2 years.
Maybe it's kismet.

That many? WoW! Buk and buknet seems to be getting more popular all the time. That's just great...

Last edited by a moderator:
We exceeded 40,000 unique visitors for the month for the first time in March. Not too bad for a crappy gray (grey?) site.

I only checked the stats because a friend of mine writes the "most popular" California Angels blog, and I just read that he gets 40,000 visitors a month, so I guess Bukowski is as popular as the Angels.

stats0309.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back