Bukster Of The Year (1 Viewer)

M

MULLINAX

What this group needs is an annual award that recognizes any individual, real or fictitious, as BUKSTER OF THE YEAR, based on any criteria you choose. It could be a character from his writings, such as "Manny in auto parts" or "The Stone" or a former girlfriend, such as Jo-Jo Planteen or Dee-Dee Williams.

My vote, for 2006, goes to MULLINAX, Buk's boyhood pal. Reason: He introduced him to booze.

My 2007 vote goes to the Pink Gnome, for stirring up a lively debate on Buk's political predilictions.

What say you? Votes will be tabulated until January 22nd by none other than Father Luke. The first person to mention the ultimately winning candidates will receive, from me, one measly Bukowski postcard.

2008 votes will be accepted starting in December of 2008.

I like it. If mjp agrees, maybe he could set up a slick online voting form (he's a database guru. Speaking of databases, mjp, I have an old FoxPro 2.6 legacy database that's driving me insane. The manuals tell you everything but what you really want to know, the obvious stuff, like how to actually do just about anything, but I digress...)

As long as Dad(MJP) says we can is the big question. It may be considered as boring.
I might vote for the 300 lb. whore.

Father Luke you have no life since you are being punished for leaving the preisthood. Attone for your sins and count the votes.:rolleyes:

Uh, only characters from Buk`s works or real people associated with him are eligible. Please do not vote for posters, unless there`s some KOOK here who may have known him.

Uh, only characters from Buk`s works or real people associated with him are eligible. Please do not vote for posters, unless there`s some KOOK here who may have known him.

OK - I'm just throwing this out here. No need to get all judgemental, as this is actually the most groovy bible camp I have EVER been to :), but what about Jane - as remembered in his poems ? She was both a real person and a poetic inspiration to Buk. First time I ever cried over a C.B. poem was For Jane.

No one finer to uphold this as-yet-unawarded title, I think (except of course Linda Lee but that's a whole 'nother paragraph and I'm all paragraphed-out ya dig). A true Bukster.

...so there's my vote....

The tally so far:

Jane Cooney Baker - 2 points
Mullinax - 1 point
The fat 300 pound whore - a whopping 1 point
Jeremy - 0 points (disqualified at the starting gate)

Since nobody reads too closely here, we can skip 2006 and 2007 and make this a 2008 award.

Speaking of databases, mjp, I have an old FoxPro 2.6 legacy database that's driving me insane. The manuals tell you everything but what you really want to know, the obvious stuff, like how to actually do just about anything, but I digress...
Wow, I don't know anyone who can be of any help with that...if it was in my lap I would look for a program or utility that could convert that to an SQL database - MySQL, MSSQL or something. Hell, even Access. ;)

I nominate Jeremy (xxedgexx) for posting the Hackford documentary!
Yeah, yeah, +1 for that. Voting should stop there!

Ok, if Jeremy is disqualified at the starting gate, as you say, then I'll vote for Jane instead!
- Many of Buk's poems about Jane ranks among his best in my opinion - or maybe it's just because they are so easy to relate to if you've ever experienced a loss of someboby or something...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wallflowers and fence-sitters! COME ON IN!

The tally so far in THE 2008 BUKSTER OF THE YEAR CONTEST:

Jane Cooney Baker - 4 points

Mullinax (The real one) - 1 point and closing in

The fat 300 pound whore - a whopping 1 point and sweating profusely, oh oh, there go the bed slats!

Jeremy - 0 points (disqualified at the starting gate - TWICE IN THE SAME RACE)

Cast your vote! Make history!

By the way?

I like Jane, but she's not going anywhere.
I'd like to nominate Jon and Gypsy Lou Webb.

Lou is still alive, and, in some small way,
I'd like it to mean something to her.

Fans of irony take note: it was Jon and Gypsy Lou Webb
who named Bukowski Outsider of the year. . .

i nominate Gypsy Lou as well. she had me near tears several times during the loujon documentary. also, she moves around better than i do and she's in her 90's!

Maybe you should just take nominations up to a certain date in the future and then hold the official voting. In the meantime mjp* could write a small database app that would tally the votes.

*I'm suggesting mjp because I think he's doing a terrific job running this website.

I was going to recuse myself from the vote (I'm not sure why), but cannot sit by and NOT vote for Lou Webb. Hell, I'd say that more than Bukster of the year, I'd give her a lifetime acheivement award for best presswork/design/bookdesign in the last half of the 20th Century.

Bill

Wow, I don't know anyone who can be of any help with that...if it was in my lap I would look for a program or utility that could convert that to an SQL database - MySQL, MSSQL or something. Hell, even Access. ;)

I can convert it to Access no sweat. The catch is I would have to convert hundreds of FoxPro reports, and don't have time to deal with that. Until then, I'm stuck making improvements in FoxPro, new screens. It's the Catch 22 of my job. Too busy to learn how to do things correctly, by the book, I have to make up stuff on the fly, trial and error, and it's all a bit funky.

I was going to recuse myself from the vote (I'm not sure why), but cannot sit by and NOT vote for Lou Webb. Hell, I'd say that more than Bukster of the year, I'd give her a lifetime acheivement award for best presswork/design/bookdesign in the last half of the 20th Century.
yup......

Mulli;
I only said " I might vote for the 300 lb. whore." Now that the voting is started I would vote for the virgin who owned the health food store in Women. What was her name? My boss has my copy of Women.

I can convert it to Access no sweat. The catch is I would have to convert hundreds of FoxPro reports, and don't have time to deal with that. Until then, I'm stuck making improvements in FoxPro, new screens. It's the Catch 22 of my job. Too busy to learn how to do things correctly, by the book, I have to make up stuff on the fly, trial and error, and it's all a bit funky.
Well, that's why you're valuable. Trust me, a typical 24 year cube-dweller would have given up as soon as it didn't open in MSOffice.

... Lou Webb. Hell, I'd say that more than Bukster of the year, I'd give her a lifetime acheivement award for best presswork/design/bookdesign in the last half of the 20th Century.

For the simple sake of argument, shouldn't we consider the source of inspiration for the material that Lou printed ? Yes, she was heroic in her dedication to underground poets like Buk, but if artists like Buk didn't have their "Janes" to begin with, Lou would be printing Chinese carry-out menus and Watchtower tracts.

Ooooohh...I WENT THERE !

For the simple sake of argument, shouldn't we consider the source of inspiration for the material that Lou printed ? Yes, she was heroic in her dedication to underground poets like Buk, but if artists like Buk didn't have their "Janes" to begin with, Lou would be printing Chinese carry-out menus and Watchtower tracts.

Ooooohh...I WENT THERE !

That is always the case. If I was not lucky enough to know talented writers, I'd get stuck printing my bad, bad attempt at poetry.

Or Chinese take out menus....

The writer needs the publisher as much as the publisher needs the writer. Where folks like Lou are different is that they completely got the people that they were printing and went out of their way to do the writing justice by putting everything that they had into it.

Still, I see your point too.

Bill

For the simple sake of argument, shouldn't we consider the source of inspiration

In that case, I vote for President Hoover.

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

When he was in 5th grade
he wrote an essay about attending
President Hoover's visit to a park in Los Angeles,
which he never attended. It was judged by far to be the best essay, and he knew he had found his vocation.

I can see both sides, also. The "collected letters" thing I've been reading has plenty of correspondence with LouJon Press and it was obvious they were something special and close to Buk's heart. Seemed like there really was a chemistry between everyone involved. A rare and beautiful thing in the publishing world at any level.

Jane or Lou. We all win.

When does the voting end, by the way ?

i stand by my vote for jane.
the packaging is important, but it's the words that matter most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back