Charles Bukowski: The FBI Files (1 Viewer)

It's basically the files available here with many photos. Places where buk worked, lived, etc.

Montfort drove around photographing all the addresses. Something I had always meant to do, until I saw that Sounse had already done it in one of his books. Though the quality of the pictures isn't great.

I work a few blocks from his boyhood home on Longwood, but have never driven by. Just a couple of days ago I drove by the second DeLongpre address (5124) for the first time. The court is still there, though a lot has gone up around it. It probably won't be there for long. I think it was a bit of a shithole when he lived there in the 70's and it doesn't look like the landlord has put more than a few hundred dollars into it since then. So you can imagine.

Judging by google satellite maps it looks like the Mariposa address has been redeveloped into some large building. The apartment he lived in for a few months on Oxford is still there, and the house in Silverlake that he and Linda King moved into. Looks like the first DeLongpre court has been renovated though...

One day maybe Carol and I will take a photo tour of all the places and photograph what's still there.

Montfort drove around photographing all the addresses. Something I had always meant to do, until I saw that Sounse had already done it in one of his books. Though the quality of the pictures isn't great.
I work a few blocks from his boyhood home on Longwood, but have never driven by. Just a couple of days ago I drove by the second DeLongpre address (5124) for the first time. The court is still there, though a lot has gone up around it. It probably won't be there for long. I think it was a bit of a shithole when he lived there in the 70's and it doesn't look like the landlord has put more than a few hundred dollars into it since then. So you can imagine.
Judging by google satellite maps it looks like the Mariposa address has been redeveloped into some large building. The apartment he lived in for a few months on Oxford is still there, and the house in Silverlake that he and Linda King moved into. Looks like the first DeLongpre court has been renovated though...
One day maybe Carol and I will take a photo tour of all the places and photograph what's still there.

[Maybe it's annoying to some, that I look up these old issues and respond even tho I haven't read ALL here up to now, so that some of my posts might be of no use anymore 'cause someone had had a very much more valuable tip on the subject somewhere else. Apologize, if so!]
Anyway:

There was a very interesting address by one of our members (Benjamin Lauterbach) years back, about some places, Bukowski lived. He was driving through L.A. together with Michael Montfort in 2000, photographing the regular places.
(plus the 'Pink Elephant Liquore Store' :-))

(trivia: he stated then, that the window marked by Sounes on p.58 of 'Bukowski in pictures' at North Mariposa was NOT number 303! He said, to find the right room, we'd have to imagine, going from that marked window THROUGH the building to the other side.)

I'm pretty sure he still has these old slides. I wanted to have him scan them anyway. So maybe this is a good cause. (for those, who own the yearbook-DVD: a short part of his address is at the end of the 'vortraege'-section of it, where you see both DeLongpre houses.)

I'd even try to get him translate it into English and post here. You'd like it!

(trivia: he stated then, that the window marked by Sounes on p.58 of 'Bukowski in pictures' at North Mariposa was NOT number 303! He said, to find the right room, we'd have to imagine, going from that marked window THROUGH the building to the other side.)

So Sounes made a mistake. He should have taken a picture of the other side of the house, obviously.
Thanks for telling us, roni!...

Well, at least, that's what Ben claimed in his address. I wasn't there personally.
And maybe it even isn't possible to photograph from the other side. Just trivia-stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back