Classifying Bukowski (1 Viewer)

So I have to write a paper... What would you say Bukowski's writing, attitude, etc. would be classified as? modernism, postmodernism, beat, etc? Perhaps he can't be classified... but where would he fit in best?

Tip to future posters: never start by saying you're writing a paper. Pretend you're just curious. Humor us.

FUCK!

I would drop all those literary labels! Or if your using them CLIMBOVER them!

For example say Bukowski could be classed as postmodern but that in fact lots of the techniques we claim are postmodern have been used since the classical.

refer to the informality
shared by whitman
and other poets

also
life writing:
a method used
by many alcoholics
mental health patients
and general people
to record and/or
understand their lives.

as well has his
dislike of formal poetry
and prose.

i suggest you
highlight this
with a history of
such a stance.

don' make Buk
out to be a lone rider
in a forest of writers on horses
he comes from a long tradition
of avoiding tradition

Buk has always been described at least in th emost informed circles of which I am aware as a Neo pre modern traditionalist-I'm sure you're teacher will appreciate the clarification. I know we sure did

Neo pre modern traditionalist

HAHAHA! That's brillant!

A-neo-post-modern-traditional-anti-poet-mock-dadaist-prose-explosion -informalist-sitter-down-beside-typewriter-and-just-let-it-all-out-ism

So I have to write a paper... What would you say Bukowski's writing, attitude, etc. would be classified as? modernism, postmodernism, beat, etc? Perhaps he can't be classified... but where would he fit in best?

So you thought you'd cheat by asking a bunch of bukowski fans....
Do you even know what those classifications mean?
My guess is you don't---but neither do most of us. I certainly don't. Can't be bothered. I don't need to know what those labels mean in order to enjoy or be bored with a book (or author).

If you do understand those labels, then what's stopping you from actually reading a book by Buk and making the determination yourself?

If your teacher is worth a shit he will be looking for more than pat classifications. He'll want to see that you understand them and can justify them. Just read some Bukowski, man. Get Post Office or Ham on Rye. They're easy to read and you might even have a few laughs.

I guess I should explain that the topic I've developed for my paper is comparing Bukowski's writing to a certain American lit movement and was struggling to determine which would provide the most relevant/best comparisons... I have read a lot of his writing and have a general idea but was hoping you guys could offer some valuable ideas I hadn't thought of. Thanks anyway...

quimbyroad,
Bukowski was Small Press/Meat school of poetry. Even that classification seems somehow inaccurate to me as I type it....

Bill

Well, as long as you don't call him a beat writer...:D

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, indeed, we've had enough discussions about that topic round these parts. he's not a goddamn beat!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back