comedians (1 Viewer)

i've been wanting a good laugh lately.
more smiles.

i just don't know many good comedian albums.
the people i do like are:
- george carlin
- bill hicks
- mitch hedberg
- joe rogan

i was hoping the buk forum could save me the time of going through a bunch of bad jokes, and just point me to the quality ones.

as i always trust you all.

yeah, i thought i'd hate his stuff, but he's kind of entertaining to see his persona switch up from his tv persona. i think i more like his stuff for that.

this guy is pretty funny that i came across. (like i discovered him!)
you might enjoy him mjp.

dimitri martin

and... here's joe rogan vs carlos mencia (stealing jokes.)

mitch hedberg was very funny.
bill hicks is great.
I like lenny bruce, richard pryor, bob newhart's phone bits, woody allen.
I used to love richard lewis, but he's lost his edge (maybe?).
gilbert gottfried made me laugh like crazy when I was younger. maybe he still would, I don't know, haven't seen him in a while.
eddie murphy was the second coming for a while. funny man.

Robin williams and Bill Maher's stand up shows are'nt too bad...

Last edited by a moderator:
Mort Sahl changed the face of comedy.

More than any other single comedian, Mort is responsible for how comedy
looks and sounds today.

Lenny Bruce was a Catskills Tuxedo Comedian doing Mother-in-law jokes and
impressions before he heard Mort Sahl. Matter of record.

And Mort is still funny today.

I like Bob Newhart.
I like Woody Allen's Standup

Richard Pryor's very first joke on television?

My impression of the first man on the sun:
(hopping on one foot, then the other) Ouch! Ouch!
- seen on Ed Sullivan - Richard was brilliant.

Lotus Weinstock - She was Lenny Bruce's Girl Friend for a time.
"I like to drink coffee sitting on the toilet. It saves time."

The world lost a treasure when Mitch died.

Humor is a bit subjective, but these folks come first to mind.

Bill Cosby?

That reminds me: It's funny how most people want their comedy on a screen or on tape, in a safe place where it can't really hurt or offend. Same with RAP music. 80% of RAP is purchased by White Punks who can enjoy a frisson of GHETTO atmosphere - from the comfort of their suburban bedrooms. But they won't take the subway uptown to Washington Heights.

As for Cosby, he once went into a restaurant kitchen down in the Village. Bursting through the swinging doors he burst out "Hi everybody. It's Immigration!". The entire kitchen staff ran out. Now, I TOTALLY support honest illegal immigrants who work hard for little money under tough conditions, but this was funny!

Then again, I'd rather read Bukowski than live in a rooming house on North Mariposa.

looks and sounds today.

_______

Sahl is funny and I've seen his live shows. I love his "sweater and a rolled-up newspaper" schtick. Very political and thoughtful. Out of fashion now because today's audiences are lazy and ill-read. He also worked for Ike in the fifties and had a run-in with the Kennedys when he refused to do something for Joe the Elder.

Lenny and everyone else was influenced by Sahl, but then again everyone is influenced by everyone.

And the former cantor. No, not Eddy but another Sullivan regular who was yanked off-stage, live, because Ed Sullivan got pissed off about something or other, Jackie Mason. His one man-shows pack 'em in on Broadway.

Many of you don't know Ed Sullivan. That's ok because I have no friggin' idea who Kanye West, JAY-Z or 50 CENT are. Just names on the charts to me.

MULLINAX said:
today's audiences are lazy and ill-read.

This is something I've held onto for years.
Notice number 10...

The Principles of Comedy Bill Hicks used

1.) If you can be yourself on stage nobody else can be you and you have the law of supply and demand covered

2.) The act is something you fall back on if you can`t think of anything else to say

3.) Only do what you think is funny, never just what you think they [ the audience ] will like, even though it`s not that funny to you.

4.) Never ask them is this funny -- you tell them this is funny.

5.) You are not married to any of this shit - if something happens, taking you off on a tangent, NEVER go back and finish a bit, just move on.

6.) NEVER ask the audience " How You Doing ? " People who do that can`t think of an opening line. They came to see you tell them how they`re doing. Asking that stupid question up front just digs a hole. This is THE most common mistake made by performers. I want to leave as soon as they say that.

7.) Write what entertains you. If you can`t be funny be interesting. You haven`t lost the crowd. Have something to say and then do it in a funny way.

8.) I close my eyes and walk out there and that`s where I start. Honest.

9.) Listen to what you are saying. Ask yourself:
" Why am I saying it ? " . . . and
" Is it Necessary ? "
(This will filter all your material and cut the unnecessary words - economy of words )

10.) Play to the top of the intelligence of the room. There aren`t any bad crowds, just wrong choices.

11.) Remember this is the hardest thing there is to do. If you can do this, you can do anything.

12) I love my cracker roots. Get to know your family, be friends with them.

i know, those white punks should stick to their suburban power(emo)pop songs.
how dare they purchase a joe budden or krs one album.
their parents must have taught them nothing better, no crossing genres.

african americans listening to jewel cds.
latinos listening to prince records.
asians listening to johnny cash.
the world has gone mad.

lets stop exploring outside a genre, we all know that people are too dumb to comprehend that just because a song speaks of something different than what you know, that you are not allowed to listen or like it.

sure a lot of kids nowadays attach themselves to an identity. it's part of growing up and finding out who you are. i think it's terrible to limit yourself. find out what you enjoy in life and apply it to making your existence worth living.

reinvent and keep reinventing yourself, don't settle for what people think you should be.
i'm not saying go be thugs, or cowboys, or catholics, but you should have the free will to try things in life without being worried about people being judgmental.

we all know that we're all dumb and can't comprehend right from wrong, and when we hear a gangster RAP artist talking about killing someone or selling weed, we'll go out and do the same thing without giving it a second thought.

sure some kids are influenced by negative images. the world paints it cool.

i think you have more to worry about than gangster rap when paris hilton is a pop icon for kids.

i'm sure you went through your phases, or maybe still are.

the nerd in his bedroom listening to Kool G Rap because he likes it, and doesn't care what anyone else thinks about him doing that. i'm proud of that person.

i listen to rap/hiphop.
and i've had yet to shoot or kill anyone,
i can tell what entertainment is.

sorry this is so off-topic and probably beginning to make no sense,
but it just seems ignorant to judge someone in that manner.

can we not read of the low-life menial jobs and all the women bukowski slept with,
just because we did not experience that kind of lifestyle?

should we stick to more high-brow topics,
just because daddy and mommy had a nice job and nobody got beat in the house.

sure, negative images and words can impact youths,
but i really got a good education from rap in some form,
being that whenever krs one said go check out this book... i'd go down to the book store and read up. kool g rap spoke about how living in poverty is suffering - with the bad conditions people have to withstand from drug addictions, not having medical, min wage jobs, high crime rates.

and yes, i know this all happens in other areas too. the point i am trying to make is that it's not all about the negative. there's a story being told if you listen. there is a lot of positive involved in RAP music, but it seems most are quick to be judgemental.

if it's not your cup of tea, that's fine.
i don't play techno music in my boombox.

but i do enjoy a little bit of everything,
and just because johnny cash says he shot a man in reno,
doesn't mean i'm go buy a gun and do like him to be cool like cash.
i know it's just a story.

educate people about music instead of listening to the stereotypes,
it's a better way to reach them...

and i love you like my hair brush.

ghostface killah - all that i got is you. (dedicated to mull.)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uWocnSxWfb0

brother ali - uncle sam goddamn
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OO18F4aKGzQ&feature=user

I think you missed this part in which I EXPLICITLY criticise myself for the same sin:

"Then again, I'd rather read Bukowski than live in a rooming house on North Mariposa".

Ride the subway, motherfuckers!

You failed to grasp the point of my anti-suburban remarks: There is no substitute for experience. It wasn't an anti-RAP remark, it was a comment on how consuming entertainment (TV,movies, music) replaces living.

Bukowski would agree, since he saw through all the Madison Avenue, Hollywood, TV bullshit that inundates America.

Thanks, but my computer doesn't handle streaming-videos or anything other than text very well!

Now then, back to my Roman scroll.

James Inman is an American Treasure.
I'm glad you were able to enjoy him just a bit.

- -
Okay,
04EA619E62BA6818D65FF36E102F5703.png

Didn't Sam Kinneson die of too much Rock n' Roll?

Is Flip Wilson still in gaol?

Did Dom deLouise lose weight?

Is John Candy back?

Ruth Buzie still around?

Here is a definitive list of UK&Ireland standups, type their names in youtube and be entertained......
Bill Bailey
Dylan Moran
Sean Hughes
Dara Ó Briain
Tommy Tiernan
Ed Byrne
Paul Merton
Eddie Izzard
Frankie Boyle
Jack Dee
Ted Chippington
Stewart Lee
Sean Lock
Ross Noble
The Nimmo Twins
Mark Steel

Only one female mentioned, and it's Lotus Weinstock?! I've seen all these women do standup and they are all damn funny in different ways:

Janeane Garofalo
Margaret Cho
Sarah Silverman
Laura Kightlinger

I can't believe no one mentioned Chris Rock, who can make you laugh without mercy for an hour straight...

nikki payne is hilarious.
but I'm biased, she's also from nova scotia.
and I just found out she was on Last Comic Standing. but don't hold that against her. I can't see her act translating well to network tv.

looks and sounds today.

I have never heard of Mort Sahl.
Looks like I'll be on lap top tonight..and on the toliet. I hear it saves time.
Thanks for the lead.
And if you like good and funny music I suggest Tonio K's LIfe in The Foodchain

Only one female mentioned, and it's Lotus Weinstock?! I've seen all these women do standup and they are all damn funny in different ways:

Janeane Garofalo
Margaret Cho
Sarah Silverman
Laura Kightlinger

I can't believe no one mentioned Chris Rock, who can make you laugh without mercy for an hour straight...

Ruth Buzie had a sex-cahnge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back