Comedians (1 Viewer)

Out of curiousity... Does anyone like comedy?
My brother's been a stand-up comedian for about 2 years now, and growing up we'd watch a TON of hillarious comedians like Sam Kinison, Doug Stanhope, Bill Hicks, Mitch Hedberg OLD SKOO Eddie Murphy, etc.

Anyone else have favorite comedians?

<3

does Conan O'Brien count ?

I would like to think he does, but then again he HARDLY did any stand up when he first started out... he's awesome.

Keep Cool my babies! :D

Look up those comedians I mentioned... first Bill Hicks, then Doug Stanhope & Mitch Hedberg. They are GREAT.

Hicks & Hedberg died but Stanhope's still Alive. I'm going to see him pretty soon in LA. I can't wait. :)

<3

I like Lewis Black an awful lot, always been fond of Denis Leary, though he doesn't do much stand-up anymore. I prefer comedians with a social bite/edge. Kinison was also good at that, as was the late George Carlin, who took his cue from Lenny Bruce and Mort Sahl.

Mitch Hedberg's second CD "Mitch All Together" is great. Some of his other stuff (including the DVD that accompanies said CD) suffered greatly from the junk.

Steven Wright is excellent.

But my favorites are Mel Smith and Griff Rhys Jones from "Alas, Smith and Jones." Not stand-up comedians, but Britain's finest couple of idiots who know everything and idiots who no nothing. Absolutely Brilliant.

Of course, Python is a bunch of comedians now too. They've done a few funny things in their day, don't you know.

I like Bill Maher. You can see one of his stand-up shows on Youtube - all of it!

"Robin Williams - Live On Broadway" is very funny too. - Both Maher and Williams have a great social edge to their stand-up shows...

mark gonzales the legendary skateboarder??????

check out zack galifianakis sometime. he's one of my newer favorites. also david cross.

and yep, mitch hedberg was great!

NBC is airing the first Saturday Night Live this week (tonight) -- with George Carlin as host (1975). They say he is doing 3 monologues.

Conan O'Brien??
He was always a good sleeping pill when I watched his show in America.
Boring stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mitch Hedberg and Stephen Wright are two of my all time favorites. I also love Lewis Black and Steven Colbert. Janeane Garofalo was funny before she got all hippy righteous.

Garofalo has always been self-righteous and misanthropic. In case you hadn't noticed, that's what makes for a good comedian. Everyone is mourning the loss of Carlin and there wasn't a more misanthropic person on earth (with the possible exception of Mark Twain).

Whaddaya want man, knock knock jokes?!

Steven Wright
Sandra Bernhardt
Judy Tenuta
Andy Kaufman
Louis CK
Chris Rock
Ellen Degeneres
Dave Chapelle
Emo Philips
Sarah Silverman
Margaret Cho
Lewis Black
Laura Kightlinger
Redd Foxx
Richard Pryor
Steve Martin

How could I have forgotten Sarah Silverman? I just watched her on The Comedians of Comedy. I love that woman. Her T.V. show is pure genius. I also have a thing for Tina Fay.

I love this exchange between Sarah Silverman and Jimmy Kimmel [video not available].

How could I have forgotten Sarah Silverman? I just watched her on The Comedians of Comedy. I love that woman. Her T.V. show is pure genius. I also have a thing for Tina Fay.

Hi,
I only saw one episode of her show, but it was the one where she gets caught licking her dog's asshole (because she wants to know why he keeps doing it).

I seem to remember her having to knock on her neighbors doors and notify them that she is a sex deviant.

Sick and funny as hell.

Bill

Billy Connolly
Dudley Cook and Peter Moore (Derek and Clive) . . .

Generally speaking, humor over the pond is ten
years ahead of American humor.

An American guy by the name of James Inman

Mort Sahl helped change Comedy forever.
When Lenny Bruce first saw Mort, Lenny was
wearing a tuxedo, and doing impressions, and
mother-in-law jokes.

Arguably, more than anyone else, Mort Sahl
changed the face of American Comedy, and made it
what it is today. I have great deal of respect for
Mort Sahl.

I like Ron Shock, one of the original Texas
Outlaws who rode with Kinison, Hicks, and the rest.

I can't believe no one has said Bill Cosby.
Old now, and a sell out, perhaps, but Bill in his
prime had it. I think he still does. Call me
sentimental.

Rich Hall is disturbingly funny.
Tom Green
Joe Rogan as a comedian is amazing.
John show me the buffett Pinette

And another guy you may not know about, Jim Norton

how could i have forgotten jerry seinfeld!!! i'm a huge fan of the show, but his standup is even better. i saw him a month or two ago and my face hurt from laughing for an hour straight. top notch, top notch!!!

Two greats

Father Luke,

Loved what you had to say about Mort Sahl and Lenny Bruce - two of my favorites. I was just reading today that Sahl wrote jokes for JFK, Ronald Reagan (!) and Ross Perot (!!). I love Lenny's Curran Theater concert, and Mort Saul is still active in his 80s.

Sahl:

"Most people past college age are not atheists. It's too hard to be in society, for one thing. Because you don't get any days off. And if you're an agnostic you don't know whether you get them off or not."

"There are Russian spies here now. And if we're lucky, they'll steal some of our secrets and they'll be two years behind."

Cheers.

Woody Allen credits Mort Saul with his success. He is very open about that.

For all that Woody has done, hasn't done, been accused of, been convicted of,
not been convicted of; for as many times as he has jumped the shark and
gotten back on, Woody knows to give credit where credit is due.

Mort changed comedy. He just did.

Interesting that no one but Rob. mentioned any female comedians (and only mentioned Janeane Garofalo to say that he doesn't think she's funny anymore) until esart posted her list and got some agreement on Sarah Silverman.

You know, they can drive cars, play rock and roll and even vote now too! It's the damnedest thing!

;)

Well, as Dr. James Brown said, "This is a man's world!"

Mort and Allen

Father Luke... Yes indeed... and there was a ferment in society at the time because of the Kennedy assassination and the general social unrest that was fodder for the razor sharp, acerbic wit of a Mort Sahl and someone like Bruce. (Of the two I preferred Bruce mostly because I was exposed to more of him.)

With Allen, I loved his writing more than his movies. His Getting Even, Side Effects, and Without Feathers are three of the funniest bks I've read - like watching a literary food fight one after another - full of quirky essays and take-offs.. puns, satires, witticisms built upon witticisms - elevated in comic absurdity with his references to such serious and influential people as Ingmar Bergman and famous philosophers like Schopenhauer - very much like reading warm-ups for his movies... but I enjoyed the books more because it was like watching it all happen inside his head and mine.

His personal life? I couldn't have taken that risk. It seemed too over-the-top neurotic in a career built upon the neurotic. But I later came to feel that if a man... any man... was willing to take the heat for falling in love and marrying his own step-daughter - which takes balls and he was crucified in the press and by his ex - I had to ease up on him. He may have felt that he simply had no choice - that it was so compelling it was somehow destined by the gods - and he went for it. If the marriage had failed, that might have been even a greater calamity than falling in love. But they appear happy after so many years, and it's nice for an older guy to be with a younger women. It can add years to a man's life, a prime example being...

...if a man... any man... was willing to take the heat for falling in love and marrying his own step-daughter - which takes balls and he was crucified in the press and by his ex...
Yeah, stupid press, giving poor old Woody a hard time for fucking his stepdaughter. What's wrong with the press anyway? Puritans! And Mia Farrow - what business was it of hers?! She should have just kept her harpy trap shut!

Woody Allen was an acceptable movie maker and comedian I suppose (was - his best work is decades old), but as a man? A coward and a colossal piece of shit.

You can't compare a 57 year old man fucking his 21 year old stepdaughter to a 46 year old Bukowski taking up with Linda, who was 32 - and, incidentally, unrelated to Bukowski - when they met.

CarrotTop, I think you are now officially a troll.

with comedy, I think, women speak to women, men speak to men. with a lot of the performing arts, perhaps.

women are generally more open minded because they have to be. society forces that situation. it's male-centric. the '50s aren't much different from the 2000s, apart from the fact that sexism and racism, etc. are hidden now. they're not gone, just hidden. they should be gone, but...

I was raised by a single mother who was very strong, but male artists speak stonger to me.
my fault? sure.
my mother loved Dionne Warwick. I love Dionne Warwick when she sings Burt Bacharach songs.

but back to comedy, why do guys only like female comics when they think they're "hot"?
Sarah Silverman, Tina Fey....no one has mentioned Roseanne Barr, who was very funny.

and how 'bout the government? what's up with that?

ah, never mind me. I'm going to go post in the "are you an alcoholic?" thread now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back