Condolences to the Marley family (1 Viewer)

W

walkaroundnaked

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. Marley's mom died today on April 17, 2008. Mommy Marley was an author who used to live in south Florida for a while. My deepest sympathy goes out to the Marley family. Live it up guys because life is short.

Shooting in the street (street photography) is one of the better ways to live out a short life, IMO. And please don't be disrespectful. Some of us have a state license that allows us to smoke medical marijuana, thank you.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lifes...OB_MARLEY_.asp

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...ews/news2.html

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j...okknAD8VUN0280

http://cbs4.com/entertainment/Cedell....2.700737.html

I assume you are referring to Bob Marley's mother Cedella Booker, or "Mother Booker" if you knew her.

Calling her an author is generous. She "wrote" two books about her son, which I can only assume were ghost written in her name. Speaking of "authors," Bob Marley's oldest daughter is also named Cedella, and is also an author (or again, co-author) of a book about - surprise! - her father, and still alive and well as far as I know.

Two Cedella's? Two authors? Hey, it could be more confusing. Jamaicans are knotty like that.

And yeah, life is short, but Cedella Booker lived 81 years, more than half of them in poverty that you and I can only imagine. I'm sure life felt very, very long to her sometimes. Rather than honor or celebrate her, your post seems to trivialize her life somehow.

Maybe it's the ridiculous picture of the playboy necklace titty "babe" hitting a bong in a post about Bob Marley's mother? I think I'm going to delete it, just because I can. And because it's stupid.

Leggo Jah Jah children, babylon! Rastafari rule.

--

KINGSTON, Jamaica, April 11 /PRNewswire/ -- Cedella Booker, the mother of Jamaican music legend Bob Marley, passed at her home in Miami, Florida, on Tuesday 8th April. She was 81 years old.

Strongly grounded in Rastafari, Cedella -- known affectionately as Mother B -- was first a mother, grandmother, great-grandmother and friend. She was also performer in her own right, recording solo and collaboration albums and performing in the United States, Jamaica, Europe, Mexico and Africa. In addition, she wrote 'Bob Marley, My Son,' a book that celebrated her son's life.

"I can't put into words the extraordinary bond between mother and son that cannot be broken, my mother was a rare woman that was loved by everyone she met and I know that she is in the hands of Jah, and will never be forgotten here on earth," said son, Richard Booker.

Cedella honored the spirit of her son Bob Marley as the founder of Movement of Jah People, an organization that benefits the underprivileged in Florida and the Caribbean. Dedicating her life to the Rastafarian religion and her family, she showed the world a peacefulness and love that she shared with everyone who surrounded her.

"Since a young child, my grandmother showed me the meaning of love, life and laughter; she embodied them everyday, all the time. I will miss her and keep the gifts she has given me close to my heart forever," said Cedella Marley, oldest daughter to the late Bob Marley.

Among her many achievements was the adoption of the Nine Mile Basic School in St. Ann parish on the north coast of Jamaica. Nine Mile was the birth place of Bob Marley, who was also laid to rest in the parish. The school is now called the Cedella Marley Booker School in her honor. Cedella was also associated with the Rhoden Hall Basic School in the south of Jamaica and Eight Mile Basic in St. Ann.

"Cedella was one of the most powerful women I have ever known," says Chris Blackwell, founder of Island Records. "She served as the matriarch of the entire Marley Family, ensuring that Bob's rich legacy would survive to touch and motivate each generation. We will all miss her energy and drive."

Funeral arrangements have not yet been announced. The family asks to respect their privacy during this time of mourning.

Cedella Booker is survived by her son Richard Booker, daughter-in-laws Rita Marley and Sharien Fogel Booker, daughter Pearl Livingston, 14 grandchildren, and 49 great-grandchildren.

Tuff Gong Worldwide

Yeah, well, I love Bob Marley's music - as well as the music of the other original Wailers, Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer - and I appreciate someone posting about his mother's death. It was just my opinion that the post didn't benefit from the inclusion of a picture of some random blond chick hitting a bong, that's all I'm saying.

Only two "public figures" really changed my life, Bob was one of them, the other, I built this site around. So I bristle at things that diminish them. Centering Bob Marley's legacy around ganja is idiotic and dismissive, like those who only see Bukowski as a lucky drunk.

Marley and Bukowski offered a lot more to a lot of people. In validating and celebrating the outcast and downtrodden of society, in questioning why those in power seemed to revel in the oppression and exploitation of the rest of us (and questioning that power itself), both provided hope and inspiration in their own radically different ways.

Marley and Bukowski offered a lot more to a lot of people. In validating and celebrating the outcast and downtrodden of society, in questioning why those in power seemed to revel in the oppression and exploitation of the rest of us (and questioning that power itself), both provided hope and inspiration in their own radically different ways.

Well said, mjp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back