• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Do you have five grand? (1 Viewer)

real bad pricing. she could sell a shitload of them at $100 or a bit under. considering the cost to make them - pennies for the plaster - as well as being really well done - she priced herself out of a potentially big market.
and lose the gold paint - it's like a convenience store elvis bust.

I'm waiting for the one where the head snaps back to reveal the secret button which will open the door to my underground lair...

switch_bust.jpg

That's more like it! I'm almost tempted but shipping to Europe would probably be expensive and who knows if it would survive the trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
This plaster cast was bought outside of ebay and the new owner sent me some digital photos. Apparently it is not a tacky bright gold as was shown in the ebay listings. The problem seems to be the the person selling this used way too much of a flash. The bust with regular lighting looks quite nice. This is also apparently pretty heavy. This is the only one copy in plaster that was made of the bronze original. If there is anyone that is interested, it would be best to contact Linda King directly.

Best,
Bill

b001.JPG

b002.JPG

b003.JPG

Nice Photo's! The color looks like bronze in the last photo.
Thanks, Bill!

This plaster cast was bought outside of ebay and the new owner sent me some digital photos.
I'd pay the new owner reimbursement costs if they'd smash their new acquisition upside Linda King's head. Being new to Bukowski, I'd rather spend good coin on his books. I know the head is a totem - a Bukowski holy relic. But the creator is a cunt.

That's a bit harsh. Many collectors already have all of his books, in multiple editions, and are looking for unusual items. The bust is an icon, whether you like Linda or not. I don't quite get how you can dislike her so much without having met her. Is it based on Bukowski's writings about her, or something she's done in real life, like marketing the bust?

...the creator is a cunt.
There's nothing mean-spirited in trying to sell the heads. It's opportunistic, but she's not a rich woman, and you can take it or leave it. She's not forcing them on anyone. People asked her for copies.

The real cunts are guys like Ben Pleasants and F.A. Nettlebeck, who attempt to parlay a minor Bukowski connection into some sort of nasty, bitter celebrity for themselves. Or if you want to jump directly to the top of the cunt ladder, Esotouric, a bus tour outfit that will charge you $75 to drive by places Bukowski may or may not have taken a shit. They deserve your disdain, Linda does not.

Linda King was a big part of Bukowski's life, if he were here he'd tell you the same thing (when Linda B. wasn't looking). I can't begrudge her any attempt to pocket a few dollars.

Yeah, give her credit, she did teach the old dog how to eat pussy. As for her freaking out and going a bit nuts once in a while.....Have you ever known a girl who loved to fuck that didn't flip out once in a while? It goes with the territory, sometimes.

i'm still curious where the vitriol comes from... did you meet her, or do you just dislike bukowski's characterization of her. because, you know, women was pretty much totally 100% true all of the time.

If anyone is interested, please let me know. She can have more of these made up. If not, no big deal. I'm just throwing it out there. Any sales will go through Scott, her son. I am only putting people together, not making money off of this.

I'm not sure of the price, but I suspect that it will be more than the $200, but certainly less than $500.

Bill

What good do $75,000 worth of letters do you when you cannot afford rent or food? Plus, it was not her that sold the letters through PBA. Someone likely bought them from her for much less and then turned around and made some real money off of them.

If I had letters like this, it would kill me to sell them, BUT I cannot lose my house and have my kids go hungry for the sake of letters. Shoudl she have donated them to an institution like the Huntington, who COULD pay for them?

Bill

Maybe I'm wired wrong, principled it ways I shouldn't be, too harsh in judgement. Selling those love letters, not cool. Give the poor woman a spade, let her dig up Bukowski's corpse and sell him bone by bone on ebay. I'm sure there would be takers.

I see! Yes, I think you might be a tad too harsh in your judgment of Linda King. I believe she kept those letters for many many years before she had to sell them because she needed the money. I don't see her as some buzzard exploiting Buk, but I don't know her personally so I really don't know her motives.

also, unlike a lot of people who had marginal connections to bukowski that they are doing their damndest to exploit for financial gain, linda king put in the time.

I see nothing wrong with Linda King having sold Buk's letters. Burning them, yes, that would be a shame, but selling them, no. This way they will survive. Think about the fact that many author's letters are thrown out when the person holding them dies, or moves, or just wants to pare down their stuff. There's nothing mercenary about getting paid for them. Why not, especially if she needed the money.

the listing is down, can someone tell me what it was?
The original $5000 listing was for a bronze Bukowski bust as sculptured by Linda King in the early 70s.

Later a lower priced plaster-cast of the same sculpture was listed.

I'd pay the new owner reimbursement costs if they'd smash their new acquisition upside Linda King's head. Being new to Bukowski, I'd rather spend good coin on his books. I know the head is a totem - a Bukowski holy relic. But the creator is a cunt.

Quoting myself here to simply apologize. Being new to Buk I was in knee-jerk mode and emotional. Linda deserves better than my disdainful post. Apologize to her and anyone who read my dumb shit comment. Now Pleasants, on the other hand, with his nazi bullshit can take it in the ass - fuck me if I ever apologize for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back