Don't forget to vote! (1 Viewer)

I saw a similar photo comparison at CNN, but the Trump side was not the same photo. The only thing that was the same about it were roughly the amount of people. You have to take into account it was boycotted and it's not like he was the first female or black president, right? He's just the nation's most ridiculous and bewildering president. Who wants to say they were there for that?

There a Women's March happening here in Halifax in solidarity. I just walked by. Pretty large crowd with some very funny/apt signs.

IMG_20170121_141516.jpg

Pretty impressive seeing both how peaceful and how determined folks were to be heard. I was honored to march in support of all the women in my life.

What goes up my stovepipe sideways (at least theoretically) is that conservatives generally hold the Constitution as dear, and yet when a bunch of librells exercise the rights inherent therein, they condemn it as stupid. See, the constitutional right for protest only matters if someone actually exercises them. If no one does, then the constitutional right ceases to be relevant. This ain't rocket surgery folks.

I came across this article the other day and thought that it was an interesting perspective.
"to them education is not to be trusted. Education is the enemy of fundamentalism because fundamentalism, by its very nature, is not built on facts."

I said the same thing on the podcast in December. The people who support the new Republican party - the vicious, corporate-owned one that hates them - have been indoctrinated with distrust not only of education, but of the truth in general.

Without religion at the core of that Tootsie Pop, none of this could have happened.

not to mention that many Trump voters are in it for the show, for the entertainment as if watching a boxing match.
Even when you come up with great arguments, they are already sold, not wanting to process valid information.

Honestly, the vast majority of Trump people are rural people who are scared of any town with a stop light. If you look at the electoral maps, these are country folk. And quite frankly, they're probably poor folk as well. The only time anyone got on a Greyhound in their family was to serve in the military. No way were they going to D.C. for an inauguration.

I came across this article the other day and thought that it was an interesting perspective.

I read this very long and interesting article, including all 1600 comments...nah, just kidding, but I read a lot of them. mjp is always telling me not to read comments on the internet, but I do. I'm always wanting to get the other side's perspective, especially when I find it insane. It always amazes me how brainwashed people are.

As mjp said, he'd gone over this himself. It's all I hear around the house. While reading the article, I had to look up a few times to make sure that he wasn't the author. I'm glad the Truth of this outlook is out there for more people to read/hear/consider.

Right after the election, I was devastated, of course, but some days later, I felt the need to understand the people that voted for Trump. I felt like having some empathy for them would be the only thing I could do for myself - so I could live with this over the next four years, you know? But I found, I can't just do that. It's too complacent and milk-toasty. And maybe the fact that I'm angry about the lies being squelched were also eating away at me.

Despite what was good and bad about both "candidates," I mean, no one is perfect, but let's just face it, after October 8th (the Pussy tape), people (and God-fearing women) stuck by Trump because they are sexist. What more proof is needed? Oh, I know: not voting for Clinton. That would be more proof. Was this a shock though? No. I already knew most white Americans were/are racist. I knew that because I at least know enough about black people's lives. (Notice I didn't say that some of my best friends are black? Ha!) I know that most whities are racist (even though I live in Los Angeles) because I have eyes and ears. And because of our stellar police department, too. That is something the rest of the country is seeing on their TVs from various major metropolitan cities where you'd think racism doesn't exist as much - but it does!

Uh oh, I think I'm going off.

I guess I meant to say that mjp is right, the guy who wrote that article is right, and I wanted to throw in sexism too.

And, I guess I'm not done yet.

Christian fundamentalism, and the right-wing propaganda machine, is a fucking cult. The guy that wrote the article all but summed that up. Read it over and then look at this criteria and tell me it's not.

No, it's not too late for protests. It's important that Trump and his cabinet sees there's a "yuge" part of the population that won't let him get away with some of the things he's proposed such as the banning abortion f.ex. Hopefully, "yuge" protests as the ones we´ve just witnessed all over the world (the women's march) will make him and his awful cabinet think twice before they implement their so called reforms.

That was one great article! It clearly showed we won't get anywhere by trying to understand the extreme right inc. the religious fundamentalists if understanding means a level of acceptance of their ideas.

protests [...] will make him and his awful cabinet think twice before they implement their so called reforms.
Protests won't make Trump think twice about anything. 99% of the country and congress and the house of representatives and all of his children and house pets could tell him he's wrong about something (or everything) and he would still believe he was right. He's mentally ill, don't you see? That's been clearly demonstrated hundreds of times now.

Protest only has an effect on power when that power has a conscience (which is why protest is so rarely effective). And one-time protests, which Saturday was, are even less effective.

Remember the 60s? Kids were in the streets every day and their protests did not stop America's involvement in the Vietnam war (or change anything else they were chanting about). It wasn't until the soldiers started shooting their commanding officers that the military said, "Hmm, I guess this is not going our way..."

Black people (and some white kids) were in the streets in the south all the time during the 60s too, but the civil rights movement was still more or less ignored until it started having an economic impact on some rich white men. That they couldn't stand for, and if it takes telling "those people" that they're equal to get their money flowing again, well, that's a small price to pay.

I understand why people want to protest, but those protests are more about making them feel good about themselves than they are about changing anything. Life is too good for most of the people who were protesting on Saturday. The hungry and desperate make more effective protesters. So maybe in a few years...

It's the ability protest that makes it important to do it. [...] may be pissing against the wind, but that doesn't diminish its reason for being.
Yes, I understand the dynamics of protest, and the importance of protest and people definitely should protest when they feel it's necessary. I won't be there, but I like to see it. I like to see that people still have some spirit. I just don't think they take it far enough. Power only respects greater power.

Protests won't make Trump think twice about anything...He's mentally ill, don't you see?

I know he's mentally ill. I´ve said so myself many a time, but he has to convince the republicans in both houses to get his plans through and many of them don't like him nor all of his plans so i think protests might help convincing them not to vote for some of his plans. There's certainly no harm in trying to use protests if the only other option is to do nothing at all.

I may be naive, but i do think the protests against the Vietnam war played a part in ending it, big or small. Same thing with the civil rights movement. I´m not a historian so I can't say how big or small part it played in getting black people civil rights, but I can't believe the movement played no part at all.

I understand why people want to protest, but those protests are more about making them feel good about themselves than they are about changing anything.

Again I may be naive, but I think many of the protesters in the women's march were upset, if not angry, at Trump and the republicans for trying to do away with abortion and what not and wanted to let them know that. I´m well aware protests won't change anything over night, but they might help in unifying a common front against Trump. Of course, protests alone won't help much. It's just one of many ways to help trying to change things.
However, it's true that many "professional" protesters who always show up at various protests are people who feel good about themselves protesting for a worthy cause, but even they probably mean what they say.
If people give up protesting, writing articles, doing documentaries, creating organisations, etc. and show they're in opposition to Trump (or whatever the topic may be) then we might as well give up voicing our opinions and try to change things and instead just sit back and let things run their cause.

I'm sure the people gathered together on Saturday were upset. Everyone with any sense is upset. I'm just saying a one-day protest is more picnic than political movement.

I typed more in response to your thoughtful response, but it's probably better suited to the podcast, so I'm going to stick it in there. I have to consider these kinds of things, because this is what my life has come to. It's sad.

Maybe this should be the final word on all this. ;)

marley.jpg

In Italy the Wailers played a couple of shows to crowds of over 100,000 (I think they said 120,000 - more than had shown up to see the pope a few weeks earlier). I assume that's what this is taken from. It's not near the numbers who showed up for Obama, but it's a lot of fucking people for a concert...

I've been to a Rolling Stones concert in the 90's where there were about 100.000 people. It was the Voodoo Lounge tour '94. It was insane and pre-cellphone era. If you lost your people good luck of ever finding anybody ever again. I remember seeing one guy sitting outside in a tree watching the entire thing for like seven hours.

This has nothing to do with Donald Trump at all.

I understand why people want to protest, but those protests are more about making them feel good about themselves than they are about changing anything. Life is too good for most of the people who were protesting on Saturday. The hungry and desperate make more effective protesters. So maybe in a few years...

All that needs to be said about protesting. Passive social-media events about as exhilarating and life-changing as any "art exhibition."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back