• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

drawings and paintings by mr bukowski (1 Viewer)

i was contacted by someone privately about the list of books that i am considering selling. they were asking which ones had paintings and which had drawings.
i thought i would let everyone know at the same time.
sorry, no pictures...but
THERE IS NO BUSINESS has a three colour (canucks spell that word with a U) painting of a man and woman making love.

BARFLY has just a little drawing of buk with a bottle

HAM ON RYE has a drawing of buk with the bottle

SCREAMS FROM THE 2ND BALCONY has only the number 1 on the colphon page, a drawing of the man with the bottle and dog and the best multi colour painting of a man playing a piano

WAR ALL THE TIME is the only one that was no signed ... i said it was on the new blood page, but it isn't

BUK/PURDY LETTERS signed by both purdy and bukowski, with wine and bottle. but not signed on colophon page. it is numbered 4 on colphon page.

YOU GET SO ALONE is signed and numbered but also has the drawing of man and bottle, bird and a printed note from bukowski about toilet paper and 'shit.'

all the other signed, firsts titles only have the numbers and the signatures.
i have still not really decided to sell these. the entire list is on the new blood page. i hesitated to send the pictures because i think they end up on tshirts and other rips on ebay. perhaps i am just paranoid though.
cheers
buk babe

SCREAMS FROM THE 2ND BALCONY has only the number 1 on the colphon page, a drawing of the man with the bottle and dog and the best multi colour painting of a man playing a piano

The picture of the man at the piano? Are you sure that's not a serigraph? I forget which book I've seen it in.

yikes....i guess it may be a serigraph. it is the only painting that is not loosely attached. it is bound into the book. i did not want to lead anyone astray. i love it anyway. he did this one on a good day. it really shows some painting prowess. thanks for the heads up hank.

THERE IS NO BUSINESS has a three colour (canucks spell that word with a U) painting of a man and woman making love.

Are you sure about this one? Is it signed and numbered or lettered? As far as I know, there was no illustrated issue of this title. Could you double check that?

Unless the broadside was included with the book - so it is a 'flyer' rather than a tipped in painting ...

But I agree that there were no paintings as far as I am aware.

So buk babe ... are you going to list the books on ebay or sell them privately?

If so, like Homeless ... I may be interested in a couple.

Are you sure about this one? Is it signed and numbered or lettered? As far as I know, there was no illustrated issue of this title. Could you double check that?
ooh...wow, two mistakes in one day. that issue of NO BUSINESS just is signed by both crumb and bukowski, numbered 370 and has the little buk-man sketch with the bottle. sorry everyone. i think i threw the list together too fast.

Unless the broadside was included with the book - so it is a 'flyer' rather than a tipped in painting ...

But I agree that there were no paintings as far as I am aware.
as i wrote to chronic, my mistake again. the painting of the couple doing the horizontal mambo is the BIBLIOGRAPHY OF BUK. that one has the tipped in painting.
sorry...
as for selling, i am not sure i am ready to yet. but if i do make the leap, i will let you know.

i was contacted by someone privately about the list of books that i am considering selling. they were asking which ones had paintings and which had drawings.
i thought i would let everyone know at the same time.
sorry, no pictures...but

BARFLY has just a little drawing of buk with a bottle

HAM ON RYE has a drawing of buk with the bottle

WAR ALL THE TIME is the only one that was no signed ... i said it was on the new blood page, but it isn't

BUK/PURDY LETTERS signed by both purdy and bukowski, with wine and bottle. but not signed on colophon page. it is numbered 4 on colphon page.

YOU GET SO ALONE is signed and numbered but also has the drawing of man and bottle, bird and a printed note from bukowski about toilet paper and 'shit.'

all the other signed, firsts titles only have the numbers and the signatures.
i have still not really decided to sell these. the entire list is on the new blood page. i hesitated to send the pictures because i think they end up on tshirts and other rips on ebay. perhaps i am just paranoid though.
cheers
buk babe
a correction to my own list. thanks to all the very clever folks watching and chatting here, i have realized that the painting is not with the copy of NO BUSINESS but IS tipped into the copy of THE BIBLIOGRAPHY OF BUKOWSKI
sorry for the confusion.

The picture of the man at the piano? Are you sure that's not a serigraph? I forget which book I've seen it in.

Here is the original drawing. The serigraph is included in Screams, but like buk babe said, it is colored.

I've always wondered if some of the other serigraphs were also colored by someone else at a later date. Anybody know when or by whom it was colored?

3294637242_89b37d8dc9.jpg

Wow, is it yours? Where did you get it? It's a great Buk drawing to have!

Btw, he also made a similar one:

bukowskimisc025.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the original drawing. The serigraph is included in Screams, but like buk babe said, it is colored.

I've always wondered if some of the other serigraphs were also colored by someone else at a later date. Anybody know when or by whom it was colored?
good question...the simple line drawing is nice, but the coloured one is really vibrant and looks as if it was probably coloured by the master himself.

buk babe said:
a correction to my own list. (snip)
sorry for the confusion.

I'm sorry for the confusion, too "” mine.

What books do you have with tipped-in paintings, original art?
(Numbers or letters?)

Example: The Days Run Away, #30/50, tipped in painting/art

That would give me some clarity, and maybe some others here, too.

Thanks, babe.

Pax

I think in most cases you are looking a the work of Barbara Martin when you see the colored prints associated with the BSP books. I base that assumption on the fact that she did the color work in The Day it Snowed in L.A., according to a reliable and trusted source.

But Bukowski did commonly use color in his illustrations as well, so it's difficult to say. You would have to compare them piece by piece and see which appeared to be done by Bukowski and which didn't.

... which leads us to the really interesting question:

Was 'DEAR MR. BUKOWSKI' colored by him or her or anyone else???

It's a great Buk drawing to have!
Btw, he also made a similar one:

Thanks, Bukfan. Interestingly, there's a letter of provenance from John Martin that came with it stating that Buk made a few similar drawings of a man playing the piano in 1979. These were originally submitted to be the print inside of the illustrated edition of Play the Piano Drunk. The ones that weren't chosen for the book were kept by JM, and then he decided to use this particular one for Screams in 1993. JM sold it to a private collector in the late '90s.

Thanks, Bukfan. Interestingly, there's a letter of provenance from John Martin that came with it stating that Buk made a few similar drawings of a man playing the piano in 1979. These were originally submitted to be the print inside of the illustrated edition of Play the Piano Drunk. The ones that weren't chosen for the book were kept by JM, and then he decided to use this particular one for Screams in 1993. JM sold it to a private collector in the late '90s.

Thanks a lot for the info, MDR! I've never heard any of it before. Interesting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back