Earth Shakin' (3 Viewers)

Hey guys, I was there in Thousand Oaks back in I think 1971 was it about 6:15 in the morning and my bed felt like it was on a wave in the ocean....

Man, that thing today, seemed to last forever! Seems I've been through a million of these things, but I never remember one lasting so long. It was also soooooo quiet. I guess the center of it being so far away took away the noise. But when they're close to home they always seem so loud. Today's just seemed like a silent dizzy haze.

I feel like one of those old ladies calling the talk radio station; "I felt it! It was a slow, rolling motion!"

We heard it first: tick...tick...tick - I thought it was one of the dogs scratching, but it was a door frame crackling. Then it kind of swelled up on us and we had to pause the Mad Men DVD and wait for it to pass.

No odd animal behavior. No deaths to report on the block here.

TELL THE WORLD OUR STORY!

There was a guy on the news, he was calling in from Buena Park, Ca across the street from Knott's Berry Farm! He went on and on, for minutes, about how shaken he was! It was at that moment, I really wanted to call in and tell my own story! He gave a detailed account about people coming out of Stater Bro's shaken! It was pretty funny! But they did say there were people stuck on elevators at Disneyland, and well, my claustrophobia sends much sympathy to them.

There was a guy on the news, he was calling in from Buena Park, Ca across the street from Knott's Berry Farm! He went on and on, for minutes, about how shaken he was! It was at that moment, I really wanted to call in and tell my own story! He gave a detailed account about people coming out of Stater Bro's shaken! It was pretty funny!

It reminds me of Buk's poem, "Earthquake".

Americans don't know what tragedy is -
a little 6.5 earthquake can set them to chattering
like monkeys -
...my baby, my flowerpots, my ceiling
my bank account
this is just a tickler
a feather
and they can't bear it...

:D

- Kidding aside, earthquakes can be pretty horrible like we saw in Haiti. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason earthquakes always give me this odd feeling of vertigo, like some kind of inner-ear disturbance. That didn't start until the '94 Northridge quake but happens every time now.

I just wonder when a really big earthquake is going to hit L.A. They say that we're long overdue.

Yeah? I would imagine that if someone was prone to sea or car sickness, a rolling quake like the one today could do that.

It rolled around pretty good here. It got me up on my feet after about the first 15 seconds. I usually don't bother.

After collecting the kids, we stood there untill it seemed to be over, but I mentioned to the family that I was feeling a little dizzy...like it was still rolling. They said, "That's because it is."

It stopped a few seconds after that.

Didja feel that one? A few minutes ago?

Magnitude
Date-Time
Tuesday, June 15, 2010 at 04:26:58 UTC
Monday, June 14, 2010 at 09:26:58 PM at epicenter
Depth
6.8 km (4.2 miles)
Region
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

I plugged the lat/long into Google maps and it looks like it was in the middle of nowhere on the Mexican border. They'll have to do better than that if they want a reaction from me.

Another one about a half hour ago. I felt it, but this one was pretty mild. 5.4 just north of Borrego Springs. Sure does seem like there have been a lot of earthquakes lately.

Goddamn - this forum is better than Twitter at keeping me informed on California earthquakes. I hope everyone stays safe out there.

I was on the road and my friend from New Mexico text me "Earthquake?" He said he was listening to a sports talk radio show being broadcast from L.A. and the DJ said, hold on, we're having an earthquake. I thought my friend was smoking crack, till I got off at the dry cleaners and heard all about it! But driving, I didn't feel a thing.

I was in the car, my wife was driving, and as we waited behind an old lady in a parking lot the car shook three different times hard. I asked, "what the hell are you doing to the car?" I can be such a prick when I'm hungry, especially when someone else is driving. Now the local news has something else to get excited about.

Look at the map, of course this is real time so in a few weeks it could be a whole new look on that link.

Every Californian needs an evacuation route in case "The Earthquake" ever strikes.And whenever you figure that out - COME TO CHICAGO.

The city itself is too architecturally developed for tornadoes to happen and a couple of towers (Sears and Hancock) draw the lightning away.
So what's left ? No hurricanes on Lake Michigan... no worries...

So unless The New Madrid fault erupts tomorrow, my city is a great place to live.

Inquiries Welcome

Bill - The guy in the above video needs to be your new publicity guy for BoS Press.

ATTENTION - LOVERS OF POETRY... ATTENTION - FANS OF THE SMALL PRESS...

Wait, wait...

[Video was removed, but basically said, "I am not doing earthquake or weather predictions anymore." A devastating loss for those of us living in dangerous areas...]

What a relief. I was ready to go out and stockpile water, canned food and ammunition. I guess I won't need to now.

To have fear while the earth shakes - it's kind of a life challenge. Once I went through an earthquake. You can feel an animal fear inside, because of which you may panic if not to manage it in time. The earthquakes became very frequent recently. I read news about this from one or another part of the Earth. It's disturbing that they do not inform society about this duly.

https://allatra.tv/en/earthquakes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back