• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

ebay find of the week (1 Viewer)

scan0001-8.jpg

scan0002-7.jpg

Gypsy Lou Webb on
corner
where I bought (6/55)
Vonnie's pictures
on
700 Rue Royale at St Peter

the one and only gypsy lou, hocking her wares on rue royale...

Great find, James! Congrats!
That's a great pic of Lou. So, she even became a motif on a postcard - together with Rue Royale, of course...;)

Last edited by a moderator:
wow!, now that is sweet! I'm currently reading "Bohiemian New Orleans". So that is a great visual for me. very nice James.

That looks great, James! I like the way you framed the Pirates Alley pic, so that the title appears separately, and the adding of the Lou pic underneath is a great idea! It's quite a large postcard too. It's a very nice combination of the two pics!

Where did you find the postcard of Lou - ebay?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was really jealous, so I went and got my own. ;)

If you search Vieux Carre on eBay you'll find a couple more (same picture, though slightly cropped on the bottom).

hey, now we all got one! i had no idea there were others on ebay. i found mine by searching "gypsy lou". now i'm looking to find more old postcards of nola to frame together for my new orleans-themed room...

Very cool. Given that Gypsy Lou was a fixture in New Orleans in those days, she may show up in other postcards, books, magazines with street scenes. Kind of like "Where's Waldo" for bohemians.

wow!, now that is sweet! I'm currently reading "Bohiemian New Orleans". So that is a great visual for me. very nice James.
Agreed, very nice, James.

1fsh2fsh, if you're reading Bohemian New Orleans, you MUST get the DVD, The Outsiders of New Orleans: Loujon Press by Wayne Ewing. (58 entertaining minutes for $19,95 at Amazon and elsewhere.) Gypsy Lou steals the show in the video, looking very spry and with it for a lady in her 90s.

By the way, Lou sent me a reply to the letter I sent her ... got it over the weekend. She said that she had a stroke two years ago and she "can't walk too good -- used to walk a lot."

She sounds like she's doing pretty well, though.

Yes, the Gyspy Lou video is great. I gotta watch it again. It's basically a guy with a video camera following her around New Orleans while she talks to people and points out stuff, with some documentary material thrown in. Classic.

Yes, the Gyspy Lou video is great. I gotta watch it again. It's basically a guy with a video camera following her around New Orleans while she talks to people and points out stuff, with some documentary material thrown in. Classic.

yep, that doc is top notch! having lived in nola for 3 years made it that much more interesting for me. i bought the loujon book by weddle but haven't gotten around to reading it yet...

I hope you enjoy the book when you get to it. And I must agree, Wayne Ewing did a fantastic job with the film!

All best,
Jeff

I just got thru reading this a few days go (on to portions now :)) very interesting, and a very good read. man, those folks went thru a bunch of shit chasing their passions. most of it self imposed it seems to me. whatever it takes to produce art I suppose. now I just want to hold one of those books in my hands....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back