• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

eBay Profile update email. Is it to be trusted? (1 Viewer)

cirerita

Founding member
This email was sent automatically by eBay in response to our Fraud Department request to update your profile. This is done for your protection; only you, the recipient of this email can take the next step .

To update your profile and access your account, follow these steps:

1. Click on the link below.

[link removed]

The link will take you to our Profile Update page.

2. Fill in the appropriate fields to update your profile and click Submit. You will then be able to sell and buy using your eBay account.

No. It's someone "phishing" for info. Log into ebay as you normally would and go to "My Ebay." If ebay really wants you to update anything it will be in the "Messages" section.

Jeez, is it somebody out to get info by sending a false ebay mail in order to empty his bank account?
Wow, you really have to be carefull with the e-mails you receive these days...

Cirerita: It is definitely a fraud. The same e-mail was sent to me a few months ago and I stupidly hit the link and provided my password. As soon as I did it, I got suspicious and immediately went to my account and changed my password. Sure enough, the real e-bay contacted me and said that there had been multiple attempts to access my account with my old password and warned me about this fraudulent e-mail that was circulating. The thing is it looks absolutely authentic. E-bay also informed me that neither it or paypal would ever ask a member to reveal its password in an e-mail or a link in an e-mail. I saved the link and forwarded it to e-bay but this guy is obviously a couple of steps ahead of them.

Yeah, these emails usually look legit at a glance (if you read them closely you'll often find spelling errors or signs that a non-english speaker wrote them) but if you look at the email source, you'll find that the link uses the URL text tag, where the link in the email says https://ebay.com but the http address has nothing to do with ebay. The link is usually someone's computer in Russia or somewhere in Africa running a database and some web server software.

In ANY of these cases, you can tell the fraud from two things:

1. Usually you will never be called "you, the recipient" or anything. EVERY serious website you're a member of, will call you by your name in such a case!

2. No site, you're a member of, will ever ask you to follow a link in an email to type in sensitive data. NEVER EVER!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back