Essence of Bukowski (1 Viewer)

Hi

I'm currently working a movie credits project. Basically I wanna capture the essence of Bukowski's character in objects one can find in the city, nature ect, and not from face expressions and captures of humans.

The idea is to base it on the following quote from him:

I've never been lonely. I've been in a room -- I've felt suicidal. I've been depressed. I've felt awful -- awful beyond all -- but I never felt that one other person could enter that room and cure what was bothering me...or that any number of people could enter that room. In other words, loneliness is something I've never been bothered with because I've always had this terrible itch for solitude. It's being at a party, or at a stadium full of people cheering for something, that I might feel loneliness. I'll quote Ibsen, "The strongest men are the most alone." I've never thought, "Well, some beautiful blonde will come in here and give me a fuck-job, rub my balls, and I'll feel good." No, that won't help. You know the typical crowd, "Wow, it's Friday night, what are you going to do? Just sit there?" Well, yeah. Because there's nothing out there. It's stupidity. Stupid people mingling with stupid people. Let them stupidify themselves. I've never been bothered with the need to rush out into the night. I hid in bars, because I didn't want to hide in factories. That's all. Sorry for all the millions, but I've never been lonely. I like myself. I'm the best form of entertainment I have. Let's drink more wine!

Any suggestions?

Hello Katja,

Probably the list is endless, but for a start - Obvious things: typewriter, bed, woman's shoe, bottle of whiskey, radio.

External: bars, racetracks, boxing ring, police station, hundreds of things, really.

I'm sure there will be more suggestions for you.

Stuff like this make Bukowski a bad influence. There is no real strength in solitude - there is a difference between challenging yourself and torturing yourself.

The real strength comes from going against ones negative impulses and striving toward a better self.

Hang on a second with the blitzkrieg.
Is the paper bag there to disguise your true identify as John Martin.

I take your point about not glamorising the lifestyle, but to a large degree those things were the essence of him, what he enjoyed qnd chose to do. I don't think he needs his life cleaned up or edited.

There is no real strength in solitude - there is a difference between challenging yourself and torturing yourself.

Hey Ass Wipe Ewok, you stupid piece of incredibly dumb shit. I assume you are into Star Wars by your stupid fucking avitar. I am by no means a Star Wars dumb shit like you. But Yoda was an interesting character who lived a life of solitude. And that was kind of cool, compared to a stupid fucking inborn Ewok like you. I suspect Yoda would have have used Ewoks as target practice while he eased into retirement and never felt an ounce of guilt.

Ewok, you have nothing to contribute but ignorance here. Stick with your Ewok blog, where people hate you even more than they do here...

Uh ok ...just saying idolising loners is a dangerous game and can lead to odd rationalisations of poor habits.

I am dumb but I am not ignorant.

No. Sorry if my views don't fit with your safe comfortable view of things. Most people have nothing to say and think merely liking someone (like bukowski) is enough. But it's not enough.

So you've descended to enlighten everyone, okay.

You're not the first, and history being history, it will probably repeat itself where you're concerned.

Hey Ass Wipe Ewok, you stupid piece of incredibly dumb shit.
Seems that folks don't like you very much, Ewok. Never mind, we're not on this planet to be loved.

Bukowski is an example of going your own way, no matter what others may say. He's an example to all the fathers (and mothers), because more convincing than any story or any poem or any word he has ever written or said, more convincing and more telling is what his daughter Marina said:
'...I always felt a really strong connection to him. He let me know both by his actions and his words that he loved me more than anything, so I always took that for granted as a child. It is something that is so basic and so important and it just made everything in the world OK.' (from locked in the arms of a crazy life)
Bukowski was able to give what he badly missed on his own. That is far from being common and trivial.

Going your own way. Being a good father. Keeping sane among madmen. Writing about it.
That's the essence of Bukowski. Or at least a part of it.

So I actually ate Ewok tonight and it's not that bad. I defintely won't compare it to chicken or frog legs. This is a very beefy dish, like beef short ends. I used a pressure cooker and the Ewok beef just slid off the bone. Tender, a little sweet from the red wine sauce, but very respeactable. I have started an Ewok farm in Vermont (for tax reasons) and I feel that the farm-to-table folks will respect this. All our Ewaks are fed 100 percent organic organs. And when I bring the ax down (lierally) they are watching SouthPark. I love evolution...

Katja Ravn - Can you explain "movie credits project" a bit more in detail ? It would help me and probably others to get a better idea of what might work.

Damn, I came here thinking there was a new range of Bukowski perfume about to hit the market.

The quote you used summons any number of stories and poems when you're thinking of images. For me I think of: a fridge with beer and some eggs; a table by the window with typewriter, ashtray, radio and bottle of cheap wine; a tatty armchair; a messy bed with blinds over the window and needles of sunlight breaking through; a telephone - mainly because there are a number of times when outsiders attempt to enter his world through the telephone...

I always see his loner-persona as being indoors. He went to the track, but he always wrote about one bum or another gatecrashing his solace, and the same could be said for his drinking in bars (which he moved away from).

the imagery around this subject is so rich in his writing that I would say pick-up a book and if you can't find what you're looking for then go back to bed.

And let me know when L'eau d'Bukowski is on the market

He championed the loner quite a bit especially in Ham on Rye/ Post Office and moreso in the poetry... but mixes it in later novels with all the wish fulfillment stuff (not caring about anything, meeting strange sexually adventurous women, getting drunk all the time and ignoring the consequences).

That's the weird thing with all the great loner stuff - you can't JUST have a guy sitting in his room alone be an entire book - it's only interesting to see them succeed or fail in interactions with the real world in various ways.

Yo Ewok you have to go read at least half of Bukowki's works. After you have done that and you have not been in altered into a more understanding viewpoint of the full and real philosophy of the man than further discussions with you may prove to be ineffective.

I've read all of his novels, love is a dog from hell, the captain is out to lunch, mockingbird, betting on the muse, screams from the balcony and notes from a dirty old man.

And locked in the arms of a crazy life.

To be honest, I'm burnt out on the guy and it'd be obsessive for me to read anymore when there are so many other writers out there.

I only really enjoy him when I'm depressed and lonely out of my mind though....but it can also lead to justifying those habits. Depends on your character of course and how much you allow yourself to get influenced by what you read...unfortunately I have no self-esteem and identity issues (hence why I walk around in public with a box on my head) so I have to be careful.

I've read [...] love is a dog from hell [...] mockingbird, betting on the muse...
Well, you've read less than 10% of his published/available poetry, so you might want to use caution when you say things like "moreso in his poetry," since you don't know his poetry. You understand.

I'm currently working a movie credits project. Basically I wanna capture the essence of Bukowski's character in objects one can find in the city, nature ect, and not from face expressions and captures of humans.
I tend to lean to the abstract. I would go with a shot of a bluebird being killed.

@Pogue Mahone so lucky you get to eat Ewok. We had a food recall here in Canada on all Ewok-based products - some shit about e coli (pun intended). Stuck with run-of-the-mill beef. But they're free range, which is nice. They just mill about all over the highway until someone hits them.

The essence of Bukowski is sweat, piss, blood and cum..."

And that's Zevon, not me, and I'm pretty sure he said "jizz" instead of cum and other things that need to get fact-checked, but you get the point...

That is the essence of Bukowski...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back