Essential Bukowski: Poetry (1 Viewer)

For the UK edition, they discarded 3 poems and they didn't even tell me about it. The poems that were removed are "love poem to Marina", "cornered" and "do you want to enter the arena?" (aka "So you wanna be a writer?"). Un-fucking-believable.
Those are excellent poems too (favorites). Grr.

For the UK edition, they discarded [...] "love poem to Marina", "cornered" and "do you want to enter the arena?" (aka "So you wanna be a writer?").

I received my copy of the UK edition recently, and "cornered" is in there. The third poem that was actually left out was "if you want justice, take the knife".

Apparently, they didn't have time to secure permission for those 3 poems before book publication. I'm doing my best to have those 3 poems restored when/if there are future printings.

Apparently, they didn't have time to secure permission for those 3 poems before book publication. I'm doing my best to have those 3 poems restored when/if there are future printings.
That is what I thought. Maybe these poems are exclusive to Cannongate in the UK so they were not able to reprint them there? This is where a GPP-like group could letterpress print these three poems and slip them in the books on the DL as the kids used to say...

Ah, ok. I chatted to someone here and he guessed it was a rights issue. Odd to think of individual poems have rights but I suppose they do. Like corporations, right guys? ;)

One could easily make a volume 2 containing some of the great poems that did´nt make it for "Essential Bukowski".

Bukowski-Donald-2.jpg

It's funny to consider that in the (almost) 13 years since this forum was born, we've arrived at a time where it is a trivial thing to carry all of his books around with you...on your phone.

And the fact that 14 or 15 (or 18 depending on what you count) new books have been published since January of 2006 is worth noting too.

[...] it is a trivial thing to carry all of his books
You Americans (and maybe all you young people in Europe) are so far ahead of me:
I still do carry real books (physically).
and I like it.

. EDIT:
here's my idea of a perfectly portable literary highlight to carry with you every day (just photographed):
[please note that in the case of this pic it's WHITMAN's "Leaves of Grass", which deserves such a grace like barely any other work of letters]

portable-Whitman_reclam_b.jpg

[also note the many little bookmarks I have in the book]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back