Even more bizarre than Cameron Diaz... - Jewel? (1 Viewer)

LickTheStar

Sad Flower in the Sand
I was poking around Abe to find a couple new Buk books to own and I came upon this listing:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...37&searchurl=kn=going+modern+bukowski&x=0&y=0

Direct quote from the listing: "Jewel's writing is reminiscent of the writings of Octavio Paz, Charles Bukowski and Pablo Neruda. She is the perfect feminine counterpart to modern poetry."

Now... I've only read a couple of her poems from this book, mainly to convince myself that I wouldn't want it anywhere in my house... and they're just awful. Plain awful.

Think we should hunt this seller down and string him up? If any of you Brits across the pond want to start, I'll meet you there in a few days with a blowtorch and a nailgun. We can go from there.

I remember when Kurt Loder from MTV sat down with her to discuss her book of poetry. He tore her to pieces. I felt bad for her--he took some cheap shots and she looked hurt. Oh well--more material for her to write about I guess. :D

I remember when Kurt Loder from MTV sat down with her to discuss her book of poetry. He tore her to pieces. I felt bad for her--he took some cheap shots and she looked hurt. Oh well--more material for her to write about I guess. :D

Man, that's great news. I hope its on YouTube...

I remember when she went from 'country girl', singin' by the fireside with her daddy- to 'tramp in a see-thru skirt' at the MTV awards. I've sold books/music for 10 years, and have never had one customer ask for her. It's sad in a way, but not so much that one might give a shit. CRB:)

"Jewel's words are wonderful and honest. They are color to this gray world. A breath of fresh air in a world that cherishes Walt Whitman."

Yeah, what a soul-less conformist that guy was.

I decided not to include that part because I felt I must be misreading it, what with the searing gut pain I've been enduring all day.

"Jewel's words are wonderful and honest. They are color to this gray world. A breath of fresh air in a world that cherishes Walt Whitman."

Yeah, what a soul-less conformist that guy was.

Bah HAHAHAHAHA! Shit man--you got me. That was a top notch zinger right there.

& since when did this world "cherish" Whitman more, than say, Paris Hilton? I mean--it might talk about cherishing him...but who reads Leaves of Grass anymore? (Despite the fact that the book is STILL blazing trails & Whitman is a goddamned spaceman traveling through space & time with his lines?)

The world would have to be as lost as it is for anyone to write that thin-&-dirty-watery-fart of a blurb & it end up on the back of ANY book of poetry. Or book period.

Perhaps not. Perhaps we've missed the inner depth of Jewel:

Artist: JEWEL
Album: Spirit
Title: Hands

If I could tell the world just one thing
It would be that we're all OK
And not to worry 'cause worry is wasteful
And useless in times like these
I won't be made useless
I won't be idle with despair
I will gather myself around my faith
For light does the darkness most fear

My hands are small, I know
But they're not yours, they are my own
But they're not yours, they are my own
And I am never broken.

... and off I go in pursuit of a hanky ... never broken ... never broken ...:o

Bah HAHAHAHAHA! Shit man--you got me. That was a top notch zinger right there.

& since when did this world "cherish" Whitman more, than say, Paris Hilton? I mean--it might talk about cherishing him...but who reads Leaves of Grass anymore? (Despite the fact that the book is STILL blazing trails & Whitman is a goddamned spaceman traveling through space & time with his lines?)

The world would have to be as lost as it is for anyone to write that thin-&-dirty-watery-fart of a blurb & it end up on the back of ANY book of poetry. Or book period.

Leaves of Grass was self published as Walt could not find a publisher. Maybe he would have had better luck is he started a crappy folk/pop rock back first and then spring boarded that into being a poet, actor, etc....

Bill

"A breath of fresh air in a world that cherishes Walt Whitman."

How dare they cherish old Walt? And Emily Dickinson! Don't even get me started. I'll take Jewel and her grubby hands any day to those two pretenders! They just played with words but she can really write, and it's so honest and touching. Cause she's been in love and stuff, you know?

One of our most effective and formidable weapons as a creative entity is our right/duty to DISMISS. And unless we wish to amuse ourselves, the dismissed item (not to be classified as Art) needn't be bothered-over again. Sometimes there is reason for debate over what is good or worthy writing, who's to judge?, but sometimes the poor thing (the would-be poem) is just so weak, harmless and daft that that it should be stepped-over without incident, towards something else...another set of lines, that may or may-not be worthy of our eyes.

Jewel lived with me in my 1977 Honda Civic for 18 months back in the mid-1980's you pricks, and she is a fine, sturdy and talented woman. You dismiss her? You dismiss her?! I dismiss you! All of you!

I leave you with this poem she scratched into the dashboard of the Civic with the rusty bobby pin she used to clean the dirt from under her nails (I still have the dashboard, the rest of the car was stolen):

a car unlike any other
parked near the beach
parked near the soul brothers
and the soul sisters
and the soul babies
roundabout maelstrom of sad, unlucky babies
cry! cry! cry! cry! cry! cry!
cry! cry!
cry!

know one here no's my name of silence
pawing at my lady parts with their sticky unbridled violence
red eyes full of inexpensive generic liquors and Slim Jims
Choco-diles and cup-a-soup
why Jesus why
that's a rhetorical question

sunshine whippoorwill daffodil monkey
blue azure armour and a crotch that smells funky
my dirty fingers trace the countours of your broken, wretched soul
here in this yellow banana boat automobile
with it's cold metal interior
and tendency to burn oil

I ask Jesus again
why?
you know?
and He answers me thusly:
"Jewel, little Jewel my little Jewel,
come hither the festering dawn
break loose the filaments of another rusty pawn
and find ye in your awesome greatness that you have"
all I say as I face another day of rocky rancid street boogers
is Jesus,
Rock On!
and sunshine battlefields
ricochet around the dustbowl migraine of my walking feet
far away from this
yellow banana boat
far away from this spastic plastic fantastic
far away
far
away

The crux of my response at this time in particular was not to put forth any critique at all but to recall that when we encounter an artistic effort that SO disagrees with our laboriously achieved set of priorities or standards, well, we should ignore it, dismiss it, forget it, MOVE ON. Pop music is another animal altogether. POP-anything is another animal altogether. And if a few like-minds would pass a few moments in amusement over something THEY agree merits criticism; so be it, no holds barred. If you're out there on any level, people are doing it to you. What gets dismissed does not matter, same as what gets admitted doesn't matter. Artists secure in their undertakings couldn't give a shit what ANYONE thinks. But we will all, at least occasionally, get drawn back to humanity and some words will have to be exchanged...and since one subject is as good as the next, it might as well tangentially refer to your passions.

I won't bother to read any of her poetry.
But I recall having read that she likes Bukowski some years ago.

...but who reads Leaves of Grass anymore?

It happens, that only two nights ago, I've read 'Who lears my lesson complete' and several other parts to my girlfriend. She thinks, he exaggerates things a little bit. I don't know what she's talking about.

It is not enough to have this globe or a certain time,
I will have thousands of globes and All time!

mjp - you have revealed yourself to the world in all your mighty poetryness.

May I follow you ?
I am merely the conduit through which her genius flowed in this case. It's Jewel you want to follow. She is the holy communicator of deep things.

...when we encounter an artistic effort that SO disagrees with our laboriously achieved set of priorities or standards, well, we should ignore it, dismiss it, forget it, MOVE ON.
Killjoy.

It happens, that only two nights ago, I've read 'Who lears my lesson complete' and several other parts to my girlfriend. She thinks, he exaggerates things a little bit. I don't know what she's talking about.

It is not enough to have this globe or a certain time,
I will have thousands of globes and All time!

Don't forget that Monica Lewinski gave a copy of 'Leaves' to Clinton. I'm not sure, but I think it was entered into evidence during the trial.CRB:)

Ah, I remember fondly the days when the president just wanted to fuck girls rather than fucking the entire country. Or entire world. Maybe we're moving back to those days again. I hope so. The pendulum swings.

Ah, I remember fondly the days when the president just wanted to fuck girls rather than fucking the entire country. Or entire world. Maybe we're moving back to those days again. I hope so. The pendulum swings.

You see, the perfect answers are always right in front of us... just let the President fuck whomever he wants to, and we'll have a 'kinder, gentler' Nation'. CRB

LOL! There are no problems--only solutions. Add legalized pot and prostitition to the mix and the recession would be over--might even topple the Mexican drug cartels.

But wait, we digress. Who was saying they wanted to fuck Jewel? I'll tie this all together--let Obama fuck Jewel! :D

LOL! There are no problems--only solutions. Add legalized pot and prostitition to the mix and the recession would be over--might even topple the Mexican drug cartels.

But wait, we digress. Who was saying they wanted to fuck Jewel? I'll tie this all together--let Obama fuck Jewel! :D

There's nothing the conservatives would like more than up close and personal pictures of Obama givin' the soul pole to a pretty blonde girl. And honestly... Me either.

This is from a school in Texas. Sadly, this seems to follow the way their former Governor would speak. I'm sure their are many, many bright people in Texas, but this does not look good for them...

Bill

...clicking your fingers thing for clapping like they do in poetry reading. It was a blast.

If anyone does this at one of my readings, I will kill them.
Try me....just try me.....

I had them read there poems outloud in a "Coffee House" style poetry reading the next day

"There" poems? Really? Uh... really? I hate being a grammar nazi... but... you're a teacher!!!

Reading the article you can't help but feel sorry for the children whom have to listen to this woman teach day after day...

(i dont know why i'm assuming its a woman....hmmmmm....)

MJP, when you posted the poem by Jewel, all the negative responses in regards to her seemed to have stopped, I'm not familiar with Jewel except for her poppy tunes and videos; I'm not condemning or advocating 'pop' music, what is 'pop' music, Popular music? Well shit, if its popular, I'm out, I will not like something if a lot of people do, just to be something else; a hipster, or an anarchist, or a radical, a shadow of someone I admire; not what I feel. I will check out some of her poetry and lyrics and write back to this thread with my honest opinion, unless the Czechvar has complete control of my ability to recall....

Well pop music on its own has really BECOME its own genre. But Jewel... She's the kind of overproduced bubblegum bullshit that lacks any sort of real connection. Her music just lacks soul.

And her poetry? I read a lot of poetry back in high school, just piles and piles of books of the shelves of various bookstores, and even when I had some really bad tastes... it just reeks of self-indulgence and a complete lack of profound ideas (though she seems to think it was quite profound based on some of her poems).

Though apparently she got the message... she hasn't released anything since. So that's good.

That negative enough? :p

I've got more but a lot of it is based on how she lost weight and, subsequently, her tits. And that would be cruel. And unnecessary.

But I could go there. I'm running on very little sleep and am feeling a bit overworked, so... lemme know. ;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back