Factotum quoted text (1 Viewer)

Greetings fellow users,
I watched the last half of Factotum last night and was intrigued as to who this movie was about.
I related strongly with some of the scenes in the movie and needed to find out what or who the movie was about.
I am now waiting to see the work in its entirety so I get a better picture on who Charles Bukowski was.
During the last few minutes of the film one of Bukowski's writings was quoted which has to do with never giving up if you really want a thing, even if you have to sleep on park benches, the ultimate price for achieving this thing is loneliness. (please excuse the lack of accurate syntax)
I had never heard of this man before and have spent the last hour & a half looking at Bukowski.net searching for his work quoted in the last scene with out any success.
Too many to search & bizarre titles made search difficult.
Can any help me with the title of that poem?
Would be greatly appreciated.
Transparency
Sydney Australia.

Well, welcome to buk.net! Sounds like a fan in the making. Not to sound to sarcastic, but the quote you're looking for might actually be from...wait for it...Factotum. Then again, it may be from a poem as you suggest. Similar experiences often saw the light of day in poem and in novel format.

There are several good Bukowski savants here who will likely be able to point you in the right direction. I know of what you speak, but I cannot recall the source(s) at this time. Now, be a good member and go to the New Blood forum and say hello, or else GerardKHLove will spank you. ;)

That poem is called 'roll the dice'.

'roll the dice' (excerpt)
from 'what matters most is how well you walk through the fire'

if you're going to try, go all the
way.
otherwise, don't even start.

if you're going to try, go all the
way.
this could mean losing girlfriends,
wives, relatives, jobs and
maybe your mind.

go all the way.
it could mean not eating for 3 or
4 days.
it could mean freezing on a
park bench.

[...]

The complete poem can be read over here. To absent friends [raises glass]

edit: Matt Dillon reciting 'roll the dice' in Factotum: .

Lovely, thank you Gentlemen.
I shall go and find this fine book to add to my collection, to be completely frank with you I don't go off on searches like this very often.
The last time a collection of words got me on the search path was a paragraph from the early Thomas Merton biography, and that was 18 months ago.
I guess I'll be busy for a while reading Buk,
Be in touch soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back