• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Factotum

Looks like he just signed it so close to the bottom edge that he didn't have anything to rest his hand on. My guess is that it's legit... pretty grungy though.

legit and not worth $500, let alone whatever obscene reserve they have placed on it. Of course, with the recent bidding of GS, it is always possible. Still, in this condition, what could it be worth, even with the great association?

BIll

If it wasn't for the Cupcakes association it would'nt be worth much in that condition. I'm no expert but I would think he could get $3-400. Maybe even $500 if the right costumer came along! After all, it is very unique...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd pay a hundred bucks for it as a historical curiosity. As a collectible book I don't know if it has any value. But then I have some pretty fucked up books, so I'm probably the wrong person to comment. Ha.

i saw this and thought of posting it as questionable, but the drawing sold it for me. also, the handwriting looks pretty authentic as well.

Could Pamela tell us why the book is in such sad shape? Maybe what Buk wrote about the detritus in her car was true after all.

100% authentic. A great association copy but it looks like it fell out of the car while driving down the Santa Monica freeway. He's dreaming @ $500.

Could Pamela tell us why the book is in such sad shape?
From Pam: "Yes, this poor book belongs to me. It was in good condition when Hank gave it to me. I left it on his coffee table at Carlton that night, and we spilled a beverage or two on it, (not deliberately, of course). It has also done a lot of traveling over the years, (including trips in the blood-wine battleship among the deleterious effects of my life.). It is part of what's left of my personal collection and I do have a soft spot for it, but I am curious about it's worth. I guess its sentimental value has caused me to lose perspective. And, yes, the reserve is fairly high."

What Is Wrong With You Guys?

If this is actually Pam's copy (I, too, would suspect so but for having visited Pam seeking to buy her copy of Scarlet and not seeing this book amongf her trove), CONDITION IS FUCKING MEANINGLESS!!!!!!! To the extent the mess is hers or his, it might even add value. It's a piece of history for Christ's sake. You'd prefer some sanitized limited edition with "Presentation Copy" written by Barbara M?

This book is worth at least $1500. Her copy of Scarlet, 10X that.

You'll be gutted to hear then that her copy of 'Scarlet' went very recently for only $358.00 USD. I know I was. And a later copy of 'Women' she sold for $19.00.

Pam in her description of Scarlet from her recent sale:

Not sure how I acquired this copy, but it was not personally given to me by Hank. The book is in good condition. There is some minor wear along the top of cover, a smudge print (maybe a thumb) on other side of signature page (blank), and the original cellophane cover is scruffy and torn at top of back

And on Women:

It is not a first edition (34th printing), nor is it signed by Hank. It's a hardcopy, and aside from some scratches on cellophane wrapper, is in good condition. However, it does have, "Property of Pamela Ann Miller", (see character Tammie in book), written on the title page (old habit left over from my childhood).

The association is a strong one, particularly on these two. I would snap all of her books up if I could afford them and catch the sales in time...

If this is actually Pam's copy...CONDITION IS FUCKING MEANINGLESS!!!!!!! This book is worth at least $1500.
Isn't a book (or a car or a dog) worth whatever someone will pay for it? No one even bit at the opening bid of $500, and she indicated that the reserve was higher than that.

Having said that, I think there are plenty of people here - including me - who would have gladly bought the book if they could afford it. It's all about timing, and whether you would prefer that book to something else you could get for a grand (or whatever the reserve was).

Personally I'm not a condition freak (I am other kinds of freak, but that's personal), but I also couldn't drop that kind of dough on it right now. Is it something I'd like to have? Hell yeah.

Her copy of Scarlet, 10X that.
By "her copy" I assume you mean one inscribed to her by Bukowski. Because she has owned many copies of Scarlet, and I wouldn't think her ownership necessarily adds to the value. It's certainly an interesting story you can tell people - "Hey I bought this from 'Scarlet'!" - but that's about it. One that Bukowski inscribed to her would be a different story, of course. But $15,000?

She has two copies of Scarlet inscribed to her by Hank - not copies purchased later and signed by her. She has sold neither to my knowledge and has told me that she has no intention of doing so. I offered her $6500 almost ten years ago when that was a record sum for a Bukowski book by a significant margin and she declined.

By "her copy" I assume you mean one inscribed to her by Bukowski. Because she has owned many copies of Scarlet, and I wouldn't think her ownership necessarily adds to the value. It's certainly an interesting story you can tell people - "Hey I bought this from 'Scarlet'!" - but that's about it. One that Bukowski inscribed to her would be a different story, of course. But $15,000?
Her copy of Scarlet with the original art has more than an inscription - it offers a unadulterated view into Hank's deep love for Pam and the vulnerability their relationship caused him to endure. Without question the most collectible single Bukowski item I've seen or could readilly conjure in my small little brain.

Without question the most collectible single Bukowski item I've seen or could readilly conjure in my small little brain.

This attitude is how you get roped into paying those astronomical prices for rarities. You think and describe certain books using too many superlatives. Here are some things I've seen:

Flower Fist inscribed to Jane Cooney Baker
Early chaps inscribed to Jon Webb
The same inscribed to John Martin
The Presentation Copy of It Catches inscribed to Lou Webb
Genius of the Crowd inscribed to d.a. levy

ANY ONE of those could EASILY be considered a far more important and superior book to anything that sitting on Pam's shelf (no offense, Pam) or swimming around inside your small little brain. And I'm sure there are many others. $15K for Pam's Scarlet? Feh.

And, unlike you and mjp, I think condition is KING. That copy of Factotum inscribed to Pam looks like it fell out of the trunk of a '66 Rambler when it hit a bump on the Santa Monica Freeway. I wouldn't pay anything for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back