Favorite line from Buk? (1 Viewer)

I (barely) remember a drunken Saturday afternoon on the Berlin Turpike in Connecticut back in about 1987 or '88; crusin' the strip clubs and generally being idiots (go figure). We got to this one place that had a chick with a welt on her thigh the size (and shape) of, well, an iron.

Turns out she got into a fight with her boyfriend and he seared her thigh with the freaking iron. How hot is that? (OK, not at all - the image, not the iron.) But a girl's gotta make a buck right?

"horses don't bet on people and neither do I"

it's probably not from any poem but it's still the best fucking words I've ever read.

"Well, all we gotta do is die. And after living, that's a break."

- On becoming a writer:

"It's a shot in the dark.
You take it, or you become a normal, civilized person from 8 to 5.
Get married. Have children. Christmas together.
Here comes Grandma...
"Hi Grandma, come on in. How are you?"
Shit, I couldn't take that.
I'd rather murder myself."

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW-thanks pessimist!

"Words weren't dull, words were things that could make your mind hum. If you read them and let yourself feel the m
"The life of the sane, average man was dull, worse than death. There seemed to be no
possible alternative. Education also seemed to be a trap. The little education I had allowed myself had made me more suspicious. What were doctors, lawyers, scientists? They were just men who allowed themselves to be deprived of their freedom to think and act as individuals."

my fave words of his are whatever im reading now
because if im reading buke my mind purrs
and as my mind purrs the rest of the cat turns its ass to the world
tail up

best bukowski poem/line/quote ever?

hey ,
i was just thinking of everyone's favourite bukowski quote/line he ever written in a poem.
i think one could definitely be "the tigers have found me, and i dont care"
but of course "...live our lives so well that Death would tremble to take us'
..:D

Too many...also they could apply for different situations in life. But my favorite, favorite short-story for the last 20+ years is Kid Stardust on the Porterhouse - the quotes about "American schoolyard" are so (expletive) true.

I've just tonight been considering Buk's 'the gods wait to delight in you' (I forget which poem it's from, but what a line, or lines)..

ah,so, 'the gods wait to delight in you' is from 'the laughing heart'..it's my favourite Buk. quote, it came to mind before I came online, which is a coincidence I s'pose, but what a line..

what do you think bukowskis best line was?

i think he had so many!

but i love:
"what was wrong was never understood, and what was right never lasted"
"There's nothing left to die"
"you get so alone at times that it just makes sense"
"I have seen the red rose burning
and this means more."

these lines really stood out to me...though there's many many more.

how about you guys?
:p

"the nest of the Arts like the nests of the Revolutionaries crawl with the most unimaginable lice-covered freaks, seeking coca-cola solace because they can neither find jobs as dishwashers or paint like Cezanne." (Notes..., p.84).

I thought I had posted in this thread before, but maybe not...

Soooo many, but I think Lick The Star's signature may be my fave!

what was wrong was never
understood
and what was right never
lasted
Buk
12-3-75

from the crunch:

"the beads will swing
the clouds will cloud
and the killer will behead the child
like taking a bite out of an ice cream cone."

from barfly:

"endurance is more important than truth."

I was looking for some phone numbers in my former diary when I came to leaf through the pages on which I wrote some Bukowski quotes. Among them, there was a line on Buk posted here by a guy (a certain Caraculo) whom I guess was a kind of troll, and which I noted because, however grotesque it was, I found it funny as hell:

"I am not sure if Bukowski was a racist, but Mickey Mouse is black... it's very telling he didn't have anything against Donald Duck."

probably my favorite rant ever of his - too many great lines to pick one.

[This video is unavailable.]

Fuck... my favourite Buk's line is in the translated version to spanish I and just wouldn't dare to do the translation and risk the poetic meaning, sniff :(...

Put it here and ill do the translation, im from México and my english its pretty good.

__

"I think that the miracle of our times is that so many people can write down so many words that mean absolutely nothing".

It comes from an article he wrote for some small magazine who honour him. You can find it on this place, i mean this internet site. Its from Upon the mathematics of the brath and the way.

"the difference between a bad poet and a good one is luck".
Great Buck

No one has asked yet so I will: who is "Buck"? Buck Henry? Buck Jones? Try Buk (rhymes with puke, blah blah blah).

And a quote. Not so much a line as an aphorism. From a Sep. 7, 1979 letter to John Martin and definitely the way I've been feeling for years:

"There are still things to be handle; there will always be things to be handled. Nobody ever gets caught up and finished on what there is to do. And even if you do, for a moment, feel a central peace, there is always somebody walking behind you with a switchblade."

Read poem from manuscripts 1978 "hooked in H".I laughed out loud when he says,
"oh,they shit all right,I've seen them."
"but their shit is different"

2nd paragraph of chapter 47, Ham on Rye:

Now, I thought, pushing my cart along, I have this job. Is this to be it? No wonder men robbed banks. There were too many demeaning jobs. Why the hell wasn't I a superior court judge or a concert pianist? Because it took training and cost money. But I didn't want to be anything anyhow. And I was certainly succeeding.

Bukowski: "Nature is not normal. Nature is not kind. Nature doesn't give a fuck, and I give a fuck." I wonder where this is from--anybody know?

Yes, I thought that might be a possibility. Maybe the one titled "Nature"? I seem to
remember he was speaking these lines, rather than reading it somewhere.

many but i ve always liked this one
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them."

..Somebody laid down this rule that everybody's gotta do something, they gotta be something. You know, a dentist, a glider pilot, a narc, a janitor, a preacher, all that. ...Sometimes I just get tired of thinking of all the things that I don't wanna do. All the things that I don't wanna be. Places I don't wanna go, like India, like getting my teeth cleaned. Save the whale, all that, I don't understand that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back