Is Buk your favorite writer? (1 Viewer)

At 18, you have your whole life ahead of you to discover the said amount of books and writers. ;)

What kind of suggestions are you asking for ? Bukowski's books or any author's ones ?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. As it has nothing to do with that thread, I suggest you to send me a private message with some details (the kind of books you like to read, the authors you're fond of, etc.) and I'll send you back a list of books that could be likely to interest you. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a fetish for Burroughs and Kerouac I have to admit.
I love the psychadelic trippiness of Burroughs, the way he create Hieronymus Bosch like landscapes in the mind, and of course is often macabre and very funny sense of humour which is akin to the Bukowski anti-hero in a lot of ways. Whenever I read Burroughs I always experience vivid dreams, seriously, like it dredges up the silt in my unconscious in some way. He acts on me internally.
Kerouac has the opposite effect, he just chills me out, and reminds me that the world is still a very big physical space with many roads still left to try.

Vonnegut's Mother Night and Slaughterhouse 5 have always been favourites, as have Hamsun, Celine, Robert Anton-Wilson, Henry Miller, Francis Stuart and Houellebecq's novels.

A young writer I adore who is in the very same vein as Buk, but writing from a UK perspective is Niall Griffiths.
His novels are very dark, the characters often being young unemployed drifters in a small seaside community, giving first person accounts of their day to day alienation and resistance to a cold and impersonal world. A bit bleak often, but very funny too.
Griffith writes about nature in tooth and claw in a beautiful way too, hinting at the animal that lurks in all of us beneath the most civilized veneer.

I think Bukowski is a great novelist up there with Vonnegut, Burroughs, Celine, Orwell, Huxley, Fante. I think Kerouac's style is great but his books plod along too much.

As a poet I think Bukowski is kind of average with flashes of brilliance, I much prefer Eliot, Corso, Ginsberg, Yeats, Williamson.

ah, the irishmen, beckett and joyce rule the english prose world. celine is right up there, "Voyage" is a classic. he doesn't rate with joyce/beckett as he's not as consistent (though ignore buke about the rest celine's books, "death on the installment plan" and, "london bridge" are excellent novels, even if not up to "voyage" standards... then again, what is?).

buke rules the poetry roost, there is so little music in most modern poetry...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back