Favorite LOOKING Bukowski book? (1 Viewer)

bospress.net

www.bospress.net
Hi,
As a publisher, myself, I'm always amazed at the beauty of some of these books. My question is, what do you all think is the most beautiful Bukowski books, broadsides, etc. To start this off, my list is:

Book: (Top three) It Catches My Heart In It's Hands, Crucifix in Deathhand & BUKOWSKI (The last BSP release; in slipcase 1/110)

Broadside: Talking to My Mailbox (don't ask me why. I just love it...)

I have not seen, in person, all of the releases, so I could be missing something amazing from this list...

Bill

bospress.net said:
BUKOWSKI (The last BSP release; in slipcase 1/110)
Anyone have a picture of this one?

I never liked the cover of Crucifix (not a fan of the etchings), but It Catches is very impressive.

I like the boring covers; Terror Street, Burning in Water...they are kind of timeless and classic. Always liked the cover of Love Is A Dog From Hell...

I like The Days Run .....
Simple, and the design is of its' time (if that makes sense...)

Most beautiful production (design, paper, type, cover to cover): IT CATCHES MY HEART IN ITS HANDS. That skeleton is eternal, like something exhumed from an ancient grave. Someone ought to reprint just the cork slab for those of us who can't afford the whole book.

Most striking cover (ignoring rest of the book): ERECTIONS, EJACULATIONS, EXHIBITIONS AND GENERAL TALES OF ORDINARY MADNESS. The scariest photo of B ever taken?

Oddest & Most Mysterious: CONFESSIONS OF A MAN INSANE ENOUGH TO LIVE WITH BEASTS. What is that thing in the cover painting by Anna Purcell? A crab? An insect? Whatever it is, I love it, in its stark black and white silhouette, those big claws, and the heavy dancing letters below spelling "BUKOWSKI."

I haven't seen enough broadsides to have an opinion there.

Rekrab said:
Most beautiful production (design, paper, type, cover to cover): IT CATCHES MY HEART IN ITS HANDS. That skeleton is eternal, like something exhumed from an ancient grave. Someone ought to reprint just the cork slab for those of us who can't afford the whole book.

Hell... I'll print it. The only thing that I would need is a very good scan of the skeleton and to find out who owns the copyright. I can even print on corkboard.... If someone would check to see who is listed as the artist? If it is Lou Webb, I'll just ask her for permission....

This could be a cool little project....]

Letterpress printed, of course...

Bill

I was hoping you'd take the hint, Bill. Yes, it has to be letterpress on cork. I'd buy that. Can you imagine how cool that would look framed on your wall?

I once owned this book, a very good copy. It's high on my "never should have sold that one" list. Got $65 in 1982. Dumb. The only way I'll own it again is blind luck. Having a classy repro of the cover would ease my pain.

Hi,
I'll contact Gypsy Lou and see if I can get the rights. I have to write her snail mail and I know that she has moved since the hurricane, so contacting her may not be easy... I'll give it a shot though.

Bill

Ouch came about a week later. When you're desperate, you do dumb things. Multiple that principle by 1,000 and you have the story of my once great, now gone Buk collection. I'm rebuilding, but it aint the same. Some books get really expensive while your eyes are elsewhere, and some you just never see again. I have lucked into a few rarities since the big clearance sale. Sometimes the gods smile on you in their pity.

Hi All,
As promised, here are the photos of the beautiful last release from Black Sparrow. These were reported to cost $300 each to print. They are quite well done. They were published in 2002. BSP closed in May of 02 and I believe that this published in late 2002 (certainly after Buk's birthday celebration in August 2002). This was after they ceased publishing, and was meant as a final production. The edition was limited to 110 copies and none were for sale. It is quite something. There is only one listed on abe and it is priced at $600.

buk1.jpg

buk2.jpg

buk3.jpg

buk4.jpg

Does it contain any of Bukowski's works, either previously published or otherwise?

oh, man, my English sure sucks or something! where are the pics you mention, the pics of the title and colophon page?

Yes. A strong, unknown piece by Buk would have been better. Also, it would have been nice if there was a regular edition the average slob could afford, as a tip of the hat to the thousands of common readers who made BSP successful. I have nothing against limited deluxe editions, but they should not be the only version available, especially with a writer of Hank's importance.

Rekrab said:
Also, it would have been nice if there was a regular edition the average slob could afford, as a tip of the hat to the thousands of common readers who made BSP successful.

ditto

The hardcover version of Women is nice with one of Buk's doodles on the front.
I also like the cover of Betting on the Muse. Did Montfort take the pic?

Have you seen a copy of ART from 1977 (I think)? The entire book is only a few words long, but it's quite beautiful to hold.

Also, the 1/75 copies of AT TERROR STREET are really fetching. Most of the paintings I've seen are of a very good quality and the cloth they used to cover the boards is vibrant.

Absolutely beautiful.

my favorite looking book would probably be...You get so alone... OR Dangling in the Tournefortia.

also I really really love the cover and art of Bring Me Your Love

I like "The days run away..." (beautiful letters) and "Women" ( nice Buk drawing). "The Bukowski/Purdy letters" is speciel favorite of mine. The look reminds me of "Post office"...

Hello again people.

Can someone show me the graceousness as to post pics of original black sparrow press buk books? I have just Pulp...

-

The graphic design is basically the same... the difference is tactile and mainly noticable in the quality of the production. For example, Black Sparrow used relatively high-grade acid-free papers for the text block while Ecco uses a cheaper, thinner paper. Ecco uses this slick, plastic-like stock for the covers while BSP used paper similar to a good quality charcoal art paper.

When you hold a BSP book you get the sense that a lot of care went into it's production while Ecco books just feel mass-produced.

The Black Sparrow covers were also letterpressed - through the mid 90's anyway - which, to me, is the main thing that sets them apart from the Ecco reprints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back