Favorite short story by Buk (1 Viewer)

One of my favourite short stories by Buk is 'The Stupid Christs' which appeared in his collection: 'Tales of Ordinary Madness' and although the short story ended quite poorly (where I think he may have even grown quite bored from typing it), the beginning of the story is pure Buk genius.

Does anybody else have a favourite short story?

The ones Purple mention are among the classics. I don't know which one is my favorite since there's many great ones to choose from. However, The Fiend made an impression on me because it's written from the molester's point of view and. No wonder, Buk caught a lot of flack for having written it, but it sure showed him having guts, i think.

Yeah, The Fiend is a great one, off the mainstream and extremely well written.
I've recently read a couple of stories from Absence of the Hero. Christ with Barbeque Sauce is outstanding, in my opinion, but I also liked some of Bukowski's very early stories, The Reason Behind Reason and Love, Love, Love.

Ok, just 're-read South of No North (took it on vacation) for the first time in years. I forgot how good that book is.
All The Assholes just gets better the older I get.

I've always been partial to The Life of a Bum from Septaugenarian Stew.
I'll have to take a look at that one some time.
All the Assholes in the World and Mine
Life and Death in the Charity Ward
Did Buk talk about a brass band in that story? I remember him talking about some brass band playing very close to the charity ward and he said that the music was killing off more of the patients than their illnesses.

Easter Sunday the Salvation Army band played right under our window at 5 a.m. They played horrible religious music, played it badly and loudly, and it swamped me, ran through me, almost murdered me. I felt as close to death that morning as I have ever felt. It was an inch away, a hair away. Finally they left for another part of the grounds and I began to climb back toward life. I would say that that morning they probably killed a half dozen captives with their music.
(Confessions of a Man Insane Enough to Live with Beasts, South of No North, page 173)

Last edited:
I don't know if there is already a thread dedicated to this, but I was wondering what your favorite Bukowski short story/stories is/are?

So far, I've loved all of Bukowski's novels (yes, including Pulp), and while his poems can be a mixed bag, I've enjoyed most of them. However, I only have one Bukowski short story collection (South of Heaven) and read one or two more short stories in here. I haven't been able to get into his short stories as much as with the other stuff (unless you count The Captain is Out for Lunch..., which I thoroughly enjoyed, as short stories), so I was hoping you could send some recommendations my way.

If you want to check similar threads do this:
Top Secret.jpg
but don't tell anyone how it's done!

Probably The Devil is Hot. I like the one where he gets lost in the woods while camping, the story more so than when he writes about the same instance in Women (I think that's where it is?), if only for the line about a news report he was imagining after they found his body and his discarded notebook which says "obviously Mr. Chinaski wasn't inspired by the great state of"(I cant remember what state it was set in at the moment)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back