Favorite Ten-Year Period of Music (1 Viewer)

OK, here's a worthless topic that somehow interests me. I started by jotting down some of my favorite musicians and bands (as well as the eras that appeal to me the most) and it turned out that I outlined a ten-year period. So, what's yours and who defines it? It might be those years Bach really nailed it, or ragtime leading into post-ragtime (how's that for creating a new marketing genre?).

Mine (for R&R; jazz would be a different subject, as would be classical, but I'm digging R&R mostly these days): 1965-1974, encompassing:

Dylan, '65-'66
Beatles '66-'69
Zappa '69-'74
King Crimson '69-'74
Deep Purple '69-'73
Grateful Dead '69-'74
Emerson, Lake, & Palmer '70-'73
Yes '69-'72
Allman Brothers '69-'72

There are plenty of other musicians and groups from this period that I rank highly, such as The Who, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, The Byrds...

I'm with ya all the way. Waits' early years, Springsteen, Cohen, Townes Van Zandt, Neil Young and Gram Parsons. I reckon 65 - 77 is definitely my favorite time for tunes.

That's my favorite period too. My favorite bands/artists from that era are Dylan, Zappa, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Canned Heat, Jefferson Airplane, Led Zeppelin, Janis Joplin, Black Sabbath, Hendrix, Patty Smith, etc.etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I reckon 65 - 77 is definitely my favorite time for tunes.
That's a rules violation. :rolleyes:

That's my favorite period too. My favorite bands/artists from that era are Dylan, Zappa, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Canned Heat, Jefferson Airplane, Led Zeppelin, Janis Joplin, Black Sabbath, Hendrix, Patty Smith, etc.etc.
How the hell could I have forgotten to mention the Airplane? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, alright. Rough though. Means I lose Dylan's Bring It All Back Home, Highway 61 an Blonde on Blonde. 67 - 77. I gotta have Leonard Cohen's Death of A Ladies Man (77) and Wait's Small Change (76).

No, no, no - there's too much. You will not force me into some twisted Sophie's Choice between Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, The Beatles and The Clash, or the small handful of more recent artists that made something great. No sir. You won't trick me like that. Nice try though.

I can answer it in a different kind of way, that being which decade do I still listen to the most, instead of "favorite." Which makes it easy; 1970-1980.

The 70s has everything - it was the golden age of roots reggae (which is enough in itself), it has punk from the Stooges Fun House and the New York Dolls up through Sandinista. And as a bonus it has the early 70s rock that warped me as a lad (though I don't actively listen to it anymore); Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, KISS (pre-Destroyer only, thanks), and all of that messy rawkstar ilk shite.

It was also the last decade where casual sex couldn't infect you with a fatal disease. What more could you want?

You forgot to mention Disco, or maybe you didn't forget.
I actually like a bit of Disco (not the Bee Gees), Chic, Donna Summer and a few others. And I'm man enough to admit it ;)
The best era for me would be c. '88-'98. Which is how it should be really, given that covers my teens and early twenties. If that period isn't when you're favourite music was from you were doing something wrong in your youth. It covers my grunge / metal phase (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, RHCP and the best of the lot - Faith No More); Chicago House, Detroit Techno and the whole Acid House / Rave movement in the UK - which led into jungle, UK techno/IDM and all that, etc., etc.
Other than that it would probably be mid-60s - mid-70s: the Beatles, the Stones, Led Zep, Black Sabbath, Hendrix, The Doors, Reggae and the golden age of Soul (Motown, Atlantic, Stax), etc.

The 70's was the shit. Except for, you know, Nixon, Pol Pot and all that. All Things Must Pass was the first record I learned to
put on a turntable and play. Kiss was my first concert (Nassau Colisseu, '79), plus inarguably the greatest decade for
American film. John Lennon' s death really was like a shitty bookend, at least for me. And I believe weed in my neck of
Queens was $40.00 an ounce. Just sayin.

I think the 70s was the real golden era of American film too: -
The 70's was the shit. Except for, you know, Nixon, Pol Pot and all that. All Things Must Pass was the first record I learned to
put on a turntable and play. Kiss was my first concert (Nassau Colisseu, '79), plus inarguably the greatest decade for
American film. John Lennon' s death really was like a shitty bookend, at least for me. And I believe weed in my neck of
Queens was $40.00 an ounce. Just sayin.
I would probably agree about the 70s being the real golden age of American cinema.

I physically can't answer this question, it's reducing me to tears, it's the most fiendishly evil question ever. If I say 70 -80, I miss out The Stones Let It Bleed, The Beatles St Pepper and Cream Wheels of Fire and at the other end - the 80's The Smiths, The Happy Mondays etc, it's impossible. But suppose the Seventies were kind of everything. Got to say though the music that you danced to in clubs as a badly dressed teenager wasn't necessarily the same stuff you listened to at home ( thank god).

I think the 70s was the real golden era of American film too: -

I would probably agree about the 70s being the real golden age of American cinema.

The 70s for American Cinema are hard to beat, and the 90s--i believe--weren't too bad, either. If you're into old films, though, hollywood peaked in 1939, and was pretty damn good a few years on either side of that. In fact, this was the period when John Ford went on one of the great cinematic hot streaks.

That being said, Buk had a run-on with a great director named "John F." (I believe) in the recovery room after his hemorrhoid surgery. I think there's mention of it in "All the Assholes in the World and Mine." Buk seemed to think very little of the man and very little for those who like his work.

As for music, Beethoven's middle period and late period lasted about 10 years a piece. Can't go wrong.

Dylan from the beginning, Cohen too. It would hard for me to remain locked in a ten year period because my taste was eclectic and listened to all types of music.
Loved Tim Buckley, the Incredible String Band, the Strawbs, Neil Young, John Prine, Lightfoot, The Beatles, Joni, Jimi Hendrix, Donovan, Townes, Elton John (some), Joe Cocker (some), CCR, The Moody Blues, the Cream. Coltrane, Parker, Monk...
I am already tripping on my memories. Rows of corpses are getting in line. :abge:
Loved the Blues such as Hooker, BB King, Muddy Waters, Hopkins. Also listened to a lot of the french canadian stuff that was happening at the time. Offenbach, Harmonium, Diane Dufresne, Pagliaro, Charlebois.
And flamenco...

It's funny, in the 70's I was listening mostly to Led zep and I despised the Bee Gee's; but today nothing brings me back to that era (and the NYC of my youth) like hearing the Bee Gee's on the radio. I appreciate them now. I vote for the 70's in music and film.

Widespread Panic since 2006 when Jimmy Herring joined the band. Hasn't been quite ten years yet, though. Jimmy Herring is one of the best guitar players alive today.

Alright, alright. Rough though. Means I lose Dylan's Bring It All Back Home, Highway 61 an Blonde on Blonde. 67 - 77. I gotta have Leonard Cohen's Death of A Ladies Man (77) and Wait's Small Change (76).

That's still 11 years. :eek: Something's gotta give.

No sir. You won't trick me like that. Nice try though.
One reason why I started this thread is that if you asked me this question out of the blue, I would have thought it too difficult. I was a bit surprised that I was able to fit such a big chunk into a 10-year span. I still had to drop some great stuff, though.

The 70s for American Cinema are hard to beat, and the 90s--i believe--weren't too bad, either.
It's all personal taste but I just love those 70s movies:
Dog Day Afternoon, The Deer Hunter, Serpico, Godfather I & II, Apocalypse Now, Rocky, Manhatten, Annie Hall, Jaws, Taxi Driver, Alien, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, Chinatown, American Graffiti, THX1138, Star Wars.... I could go on and on.

All of those and you can add: The Omen, Mean Streets, Deliverance, Clockwork Orange, Dirty Harry, The Wanderers, What's Up Doc? Blazing Saddles,The Life of Brian and last but not least Saturday Night Fever, and since it's music and movies, here's both, (you can close your ears Bruno):).

French Connection, Animal House, Hard Times,Klute,The Exorcist,Mean Streets, Slap Shot,The Conversation,Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia,Rocky,Sleeper,Love And Death,Paper Moon,The Last Detail,The Deer Hunter...it's really fucking endless.

I tell what's a good 'disco movie'. Spike Lee's Summer of Sam. It's a movie set in and inspired by the 70s even if it's not a 70s film (obviously). It's got that serial killer on the run aspect too, which is also very 70s. Not to mention a bit of punk thrown in for good measure in the form of Adrian Brody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back