Fencing with the Shadows (Broadside) (1 Viewer)

cirerita

Founding member
Here's this elusive broadside. Not many have seen it, and very few have an actual copy. According to myth, only 5-6 broadsides were sold before the remaining copies were supressed. You know, according to myth.

There might be a copy on the Collecting Bukowski site, I'm not sure. Chris, if it's not there, feel free to upload it to your site.

Attachments

• FencingShadows Brdsde.pdf
    172.7 KB · Views: 360
thanks cirerita, whats the story behind the supression?

One would wonder, certainly. By 1995, at least a few "fucks" and all had seen the light of day.

But thanks, cirerita. Nice to see an original. It's also in The Flash of Lightning... for those of you who want to read it in book form. But, the book version is fairly different from this broadside version. I think I prefer the broadside version. It hits a bit harder. Since these are both posthumous, this seems like JM yet again watering down Buk with his "editing."

This is starting to piss me off.

Edit: I just read the broadside to my wife as she followed along with the book version. I asked which she preferred, and she adamantly said, "The one you just read." She also said the book version sounded diluted.

Last I checked, diluted = watered down.

Yes, this is pissing me off. If the best of Buk is contained in 5-6 copies of broadsides, JM has ripped us off.

Not sure now where these scans came from, but here...

fencing with the shadows_2.JPG
fencing with the shadows_3.JPG

Here's this elusive broadside. Not many have seen it, and very few have an actual copy. According to myth, only 5-6 broadsides were sold before the remaining copies were supressed. You know, according to myth.

There might be a copy on the Collecting Bukowski site, I'm not sure. Chris, if it's not there, feel free to upload it to your site.

Thanks Abel but yes, Jason sent me a scan of this some time ago. I agree that there have to be more than 5 or 6 copies of this since I've seen about that many come up for sale over the last 10 years or so. It seems unlikely that every copy has been sold and resold in that time. Still, a real rarity.

If you happened to get a scan of Penny Poetry, the site could definitely use that. I had doubts that it existed (I know that I've never seen a copy).

I have a copy of Fencing With the Shadows and know at least 5 or 6 people that also have it. There certainly are more than 5 or 6 copies, but I would guess not more than 20. Still a rarity.

These were reportedly objected to by John Martin on the grounds that they were to be sold seperatley. All copies were cut in half and sent wrapped in a crucifix to John Martin for burial. That is the story related in Krumhansl.

Bill

...These were reportedly objected to by John Martin on the grounds that they were to be sold seperatley. All copies were cut in half and sent wrapped in a crucifix to John Martin for burial. That is the story related in Krumhansl.

A great poem. Cut in half, wrapped -- I like that. What a grand gesture.

Not sure now where these scans came from, but here...
Hey, that's mine.
(I scanned it and sent it to mjp a while ago).

I bought my copy from Johnny Brewton and asked for a COA and he typed up that note for me...
and Bill,
I did put the note of COA and the broadside on e-bay once
with an opening bid of 10k
(just to see what the hell would happen).

Lots of 'watchers'
but alas
:rolleyes:
no takers.

I have an extra copy in mint condition if anyone's interested. I'm going to ask $75 on eBay based on Bill's suggested retail price, but I'll sell it to a member for $50. I think I paid $95 to Brewton for my first one, but the extra copy I got as part of a bundle and can shave a few bucks off. Message me if interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back