Fidel Castro also reads Bukowski (1 Viewer)

cirerita

Founding member
well, at least he probably got the signed books B mentions here.

Attachments

• castro.jpg
    castro.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 474
oh, I had forgotten, I know a lot of Americans hate Castro, so please don't start a political warfare here, ok? :D

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!

:D

I dont know where you send your kids to school but im not even close to forty but i knew what castro looked like when i was ten. every guy with abeard looks the same right?

I hope you weren't talking about me, Charlie, I don't hate America. Whenever I leave I can't wait to get home.

But I also know that we have a very short collective memory. How else can you explain people praising Richard Nixon when he died?

never said anything about hating America, just said something completely different: many Americans hate Castro, even if they don't know who the hell he is!

Hating Castro is kind of like hating the guy in your town who sits in a wheelchair on the street corner singing songs to space aliens and shaking his paper cup at you in an attempt to get your spare change. Neither one of them ever hurt you, nor could they if they wanted to.

let's say then that many Americans hate Castro's public figure as depicted on the American telly.
and, yes, hating Castro based on that is as stupid as you can get... but, as the old saying goes, "money talks." I think we can safely say "TV talks" as well :D

Anyone ever see...

...Oliver Stone's film "Commandante"? Its a portrait of Castro. Pretty interesting. If anything Castro is, for better or for worse, a living legend and has walked thru the fire in his own brave way.

One good scene: Stone asks Castro if he ever sees a shrink and C answers that he never has. Stone is baffled by this and just can't understand that a man living under such constant pressure can take the strain without seeing a psychiatrist. Heh heh. Now that IS a typical American way of seeing things...:rolleyes:

Did Buk ever see a shrink. Oh yeah, the one during WWII: "Hides his sensitivity under a tough exterior..."

I didn't like Comandante. It was too much of an ass-licker movie. No real criticism of Castro. Of course, I didn't expect Stone to overtly criticize Castro , but he could have made a subtle criticism and got away with it. A pity he wasn't brave enough for that.

Erik said:
...Oliver Stone's film "Commandante"? Its a portrait of Castro. Pretty interesting. If anything Castro is, for better or for worse, a living legend and has walked thru the fire in his own brave way.

One good scene: Stone asks Castro if he ever sees a shrink and C answers that he never has. Stone is baffled by this and just can't understand that a man living under such constant pressure can take the strain without seeing a psychiatrist. Heh heh. Now that IS a typical American way of seeing things...:rolleyes:

Did Buk ever see a shrink. Oh yeah, the one during WWII: "Hides his sensitivity under a tough exterior..."
What a ball licker.

mjp said:
Hating Castro is kind of like hating the guy in your town who sits in a wheelchair on the street corner singing songs to space aliens and shaking his paper cup at you in an attempt to get your spare change. Neither one of them ever hurt you, nor could they if they wanted to.

this is very true. best point made in this whole thread.

No, its not in Reach for the Sun, Selected Letters 1978 - 1994.

Bukowski was bigging-up Castro in the 70s too

silkscreen%201.jpg

From Dear Mr Bukowski.

Courtesy of dermaface

http://www.rossrunfola.com/bukowskiimages/silkscreen%201.jpg

It was a short note from Buk to John Martin (from 1991) telling him that he just signed a couple books to Fidel Castro. He mentions that he has no politics, but that it's time that he read some Black Sparrow, what?

Best,
Bill

that he just signed a couple books to Fidel Castro.

Thanks Bill.
Now we have Another reason to invade Cuba, don't we? A collector's reason! We GOT to get hold of these very rare signed books!
(could become the first REAL danger for Castro's state - I'm pretty sure he didn't consider the ruthless endurance and power of Bukowski-collectors in his defense-budget. haha)

I've heard that the ground work is all laid out. All the companies that got kicked out in '59 will go back and pick-up where they left off. Don't know if that's true, but given recent historical events, I can see the Texas Mafia or some other incarnation of Corporate America jumping right in. I'm surprised it hasn't already happened.

How's that for cynicism?

Castro Si, Bushwacker No !!!

As usual MJP hits a bullseye. I decided a long time ago that there are enough enemies for me in the good old US of A. Why look abroad for media created "monsters"? What did Muhhamed Ali say, " I ain't got no quarrel against the Viet Cong." Today Ali is a hero everywhere in the world but in the 1960's, like Castro, he became an object of villification in the good old US of A. A black Muslim heavyweight champion was too bitter a pill for white America to swallow since the boxing arena, even for unathletic men is the ultimate symbol of manhood. Thus Floyd Patterson, the incarnation of the subordinate black,ironically became the "White Hope'' in 1967 when he fought Ali. What Patterson and others could not do in the ring was done by the US Boxing Commission that stripped Ali for three and one-half years for refusing to make war against other Third-World peoples. Ali 's title was returned to him after the black rebellion of 1964-1967 faded into another dark period of American history. But the recognition of Cuba still waits for reasons best known to the CIA and American Presidents. Shit, even that crooked bastard Nixon recognized China so American workers could be displaced by greedy American corporations who outsource their products like lead based fucking toys for children so they can turn an even bigger profit.
To continue my bastardized Freudian analysis, the only reason JFK launched the so called " space race" so quickly in the 1960's was to regain his balls after the invasion of Cuba was such a disaster. To paraphrase Ali, "I ain't got no quarrel with the Cubans or Castro." Bushwacker and the slimey cocksuckers he brought consume all my hatered (except of course for formalistic and rhyming poets and the NY Yankees).
But peace to all you brothers and sisters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back