Film based Ham on Rye could make one great "Americana" movie (1 Viewer)

I am talking with one Hollywood editor, and we both dismissed Sean Penn as too obvious choice for a director. Any thoughts on who -hypothetically- would make suitable director?
Also I can't help to notice that only foreign directors have ever "touched" Bukowski. (except one or two shorts)

Jon Favreau. He's big time now with Iron Man, but take a look at his first film, Swingers. It's genuis on a budget. And, if I remember correctly, there's a copy of a Bukowski book on the main character's desk in a scene or two. He's got a great sense of humor, and is a very smart director. He could do Bukowski justice.

Jim_jarmusch_1.jpg
How about this guy?
Jarmusch
or The Coen Brothers. Nice.

Yes! Yes, this! Terry Gilliam is one of my favorite directors. Anyone who can make a watchable movie based on Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas impresses me.

Let me be the first to say that I will not see Ham On Rye if it is made into a film. I don't care if Jesus H. Christ comes back from whatever "land" he's buried in at Disneyland to direct it.

Thank you.

Let me be the first to say that I will not see Ham On Rye if it is made into a film. I don't care if Jesus H. Christ comes back from whatever "land" he's buried in at Disneyland to direct it.

Thank you.

You're right because there is too much going on in the book. The movie would have to be hacked to nothing.
Stand By Me was based on a short story and that turned out OK. Ham on Rye would have to be like a three part series. It would still be tough to do.

The problem I have always had with Sean Penn as actor, director or as a person is that he's too serious.

He lacks the ironic humor that Hank could convey or reveal in a tragic situation. Penn, I do not think, could do that - he would play it serious and have it come out as tragic.

Really hope Penn never plays or directs anything to do with Hank's work.

My vote: Barbet Schroeder as director (again).

You're right because there is too much going on in the book. The movie would have to be hacked to nothing.
Stand By Me was based on a short story and that turned out OK. Ham on Rye would have to be like a three part series. It would still be tough to do.

Too much going on. Yes, but I think there is a opportunity to capture that "Je ne sais quoi" from the 20's 30's untill start of the WWII, that he comunicated so well in his book. And the end of the 'era' that wake in him such bittersweet
memories.

Todd Solondz or Ang Lee, or maybe Noah Baumbach who directed The Squid and the Whale...

But I'd still be pessimistic about seeing it.

Well, for director I think the obvious choice is TV's Potsie Webber (aka Anson Heimlich).

potsie_l.jpg

Prove he couldn't do it.

And the Home Alone kid must be at least ten times the alcoholic Bukowski was at that age, so don't dismiss him so readily.

I see Ben Gazzara as the father and Angelina Jolie (sans glamor make up) as the mother.

Baldy, will of course be played by Stephen Dulka.

And the dog from the TV show Frazier. Because every boy needs a dog in Americana movies.

Abel Ferrara.

or I second the vote for Noah Baumbach. and Sophia Coppola. she might cast Bill Murray as Henry Sr., but that could work.

and if I sat through Tales of Ordinary Madness without climbing up on top of my tv set and defecating into those tiny airhole slats in the back so my television could die an electric sizzling, sparking fecal death, then I could sit through Potsie's take of Ham on Rye.

Thank you.

But mjp, it couldn't be any more of a train wreck than any of the other attempts at filming Bukowski have been. The only one that half way works for me so far is Barfly, and I only decided it wasn't completely stupid after the second viewing. Although Mickey Rourke does swing his arms like an ape too much. I don't recalll ever seeing Hank do that move.

Eh...Atom Egoyan directing Tom Waits as Hank?, or perhaps, even better I think, Tom Sizemore. Yes, that's it!

Lot's of excellent character actors out there to add color. Could be done well, but always a tough task interpeting a book.

Ah, what the hell do I know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back