• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Fire Station, Capra Press (1 Viewer)

indeed it is.

i'll let you know how good of shape it's in.
LOOKS LIKE SOMEBODY ELSE CAME OUT ON TOP OF THIS ONE BILLYROBERTS!
aahahahahhahahahahaha its glorious

i'd like to thank mjp for the heads up. LOL
its like an awards ceremony.

i'm excited.

yeah I was very surprised that I wasn't outbid.

my max bid was only $65.
I wasnt even watching it closely to see if I was getting outbid.

isn't it dedicated to Red?

I don't buy that much stuff on ebay. I get outbid most of the time... I think that I'm getting a bad rap.

Bill (Billyrobers)
Bottle of Smoke Press

I think he sees your eBay username as first bid in a lot of auctions, and maybe he thinks you're winning a lot of those, which isn't the case.

Hi,
Just to let everyone in on a secret.... I am not a fan of the "watching" feature on eBay. Plus, I have been an ebay member since well before they had that feature (11/3/98). When I see an interesting item, I bid on it. I usually just put a minimum bid on it. If it is a $200 book and the starting bid is $50, I'll bid. I only bid $50. I expect that someone will outbid me and don't usually bid again until close to the end. Usually the next day, I see that I'm outbid at $51. I bid manually, NEVER using computer "sniping" programs, as I think that is a bit unfair. If I outbid you in the last seconds, it is because I am watching the auction and have put a bid in at the end. All is fair in that, I think. My goal is not always to win items. In the case of the $200 book with a $50 bid; I'll start the bidding off as a bit of good karma. I hate listing books or other items and then having NO bids up until the last minute. That always leaves me with a sick feeling knowing that I cannot sell a signed Bukowski book for more that $50. In the end, it usually works out, but I have had to wait many times until the last 5 seconds to see if I'll even get 25% of what the book is worth.

Most of the books that I get lately are sent to me gratis. I don't buy that much off of ebay. Maybe a small book or magazine a week. I would rather put what little money I have into publishing and trying to get exposure for great and talented newer writers.

Of course, I can't pass up a deal, especially if it is a Buk or levy book that I don't have.

Bill (billyroberts)

bospress.net said:
I hate listing books or other items and then having NO bids up until the last minute. That always leaves me with a sick feeling knowing that I cannot sell a signed Bukowski book for more that $50.
I'm conflicted on this issue, because I sell as well as buy on ebay, so I know what you're saying. But when I'm a buyer, obviously it's in my interest to wait until the last second to bid, and I do. Funny you mention karma though, because if you both buy and sell on eBay you definitely taste it. ;)

If eBay was a "real" auction site, the auction time would be extended if someone bid at the last second. Say by five minutes. That would give others the opportunity to get in a higher bid. That would make for higher closing prices on some items, but I think it might discourage people looking for a bargain. And since eBay makes more money the more users they have, and the more auctions that close with a sale, I don't see them fundamentally changing the way they work any time soon.

yes, sniping is "good" for buyers and "bad" for sellers, as mjp said somewhere else.

but Bill is right, Karma is always lurking there. And as the song goes: "Instant Karma is gonna get you..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back