• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

FIRST EDITION blowout! Now includes binding aromas!!! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjp

Founding member
This stuff is no longer for sale.

---

Okay, now are they priced to sell? I say yes!

---

I said I'd be posting some better stuff in my previous post (of stuff that no one wanted), so here are some firsts for anyone who is firsty (you have to say that in a Cockney accent -- never mind). I can't use book seller condition terms because they make no sense to me. I've tried to honestly describe any flaws.

FIRST EDITION HARDCOVERS

Hot Water Music - [STRIKE]$275[/STRIKE] $175 - Clean, no flaws, binding smells like Jasmine and success.
1983 - one of only 30 copies made for distribution by Paget - (BSP/Paget Press)

Hollywood - [STRIKE]$200[/STRIKE] $175 - Clean, no flaws, binding carries faint aroma of desperation and cocoa butter.
1989 - one of 900 copies - hard to find first trade hardcover (you know where most of those went)

FIRST EDITION PAPERBACKS
All BSP firsts are true firsts with color title pages

The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over The Hills - [STRIKE]$250[/STRIKE] $125 - No flaws, binding has the aroma of new mown hay.
1969 - one of 1243 copies - With original errata insert

Post Office - [STRIKE]$450[/STRIKE] $350 - Extra Super Fine (technical term), binding smells like gold leaf over filet mignon and a $600 bottle of wine. And stamps.
1971 - one of 2001 copies - That price might seem high, but it is really in exceptional condition. If you got into your time machine and went back to the BSP office in 1971 and pulled a brand new copy out of a box, it wouldn't be in any better condition than this one. Seriously. One day in the not too distant future a copy in this condition is going to set you back two or three times this price.

Mockingbird Wish Me Luck - [STRIKE]$150[/STRIKE] $75 - No flaws, binding smells like freshly brewed coffee and new tennis shoes.
1972 - one of 2515 copies

SOLD - poems written before jumping out of an 8 story window - $175 - Clean, tight, crisp, a lot of bass and drums. Just right. Binding smells like herb.
1968 - one of 400 copies (Litmus)

SOLD - Notes of a Dirty Old man - $65 - No spine crease, minor cover edge wear, very small crease to rear cover that I can see but not feel. A blind buy could probably feel it. Their fingertips are very sensitive. Binding smells like Antarctica.
1969 - one of 28000 copies - (Essex House) an uncommon title despite the high print run.

SOLD - South Of No North - [STRIKE]$125[/STRIKE] $75 - No flaws, binding smells like a Reykjavik whorehouse.
1973 - one of 4100 copies - a hard to find first for some reason.

SOLD - Burning In Water Drowning In Flame - [STRIKE]$100[/STRIKE] $50 - Small water drop on lower left of front cover, tiny price sticker on the back cover. Binding smells like Irish Spring bath soap and Old Spice.
1974 - one of 3873 copies

SOLD - Play The Piano Drunk Like A Percussion Instrument - [STRIKE]$50[/STRIKE] $35 - Crease to upper right front cover. Binding smells like Kit Kat bars and orange soda.
1979 - one of 5051 copies

SOLD - Dangling In The Tournefortia - [STRIKE]$50[/STRIKE] $35 - Light spine crease, binding/spine isn't cracked there, so I'm not sure what caused it, could be a bindery flaw. Binding smells like the guy working the perfect binder that day.
1981 - one of 8000 copies

SOLD - War All The Time - [STRIKE]$30[/STRIKE] $20 - Soiling to page edges, light spine crease, binding smells lonely and friendly.
1984 - one of 7492 copies

SOLD - You Get So Alone At Times That It Just Makes Sense - [STRIKE]$25[/STRIKE] $20 - Crease to back cover that extends into the last 20 pages or so. Sounds worse than it looks. Binding smells like baby powder and honeybee semen.
1986 - one of 7455 copies

SOLD - The Roominghouse Madrigals - [STRIKE]$25[/STRIKE] $20 - corners not so sharp, general shelf wear. Binding smells like sauerkraut.
1988 - one of 8000 copies

SOLD - The Last Night Of The Earth Poems - [STRIKE]$25[/STRIKE] $20 - No flaws. Binding smells like the Sex Pistols tour bus and vanilla.
1992 - one of 13019 copies

---

Anything over $100 ships free in the U.S. Please add $5 to the others. Shipping outside the U.S. will depend on the weight, where you are, and whether I like you or not.

Goddammit...I told myself I'd never do this...

I'll take the Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame

But I swear, I'm not gonna collect!

[unless I hit the lottery...]

Hey, a first of your favorite is always a good thing!

And it doesn't mean you'll start collecting.

Nah.

Of course not. ;)

I may be in the minority, but I actually don't know where most of the 1st HC Trade copies of Hollywood went.

Also, I wish I hadn't missed out on that copy of 8 story window... ah well. I may be back for one of those paperbacks (how do you know how many copies went into the 1st ed anyhow?).

I may be in the minority, but I actually don't know where most of the 1st HC Trade copies of Hollywood went.
To libraries, where they were marked up, stamped and sent out in hundreds of backpacks before being beaten beyond use and sold at a library sale for $0.50. Or stolen. In any event, none survived the library fate in mint condition, and most of them went to libraries. Some say pristine copies of the first trade editions are more rare than the signed, numbered lettered editions, and that makes sense. Fewer of them survived in collectible condition.

I may be back for one of those paperbacks (how do you know how many copies went into the 1st ed anyhow?).
Krumhansl has the first edition numbers.

a forum member who seldom posts just got a great deal on a signed trade first of hollywood that i recently sold on ebay. this shitty economy was her gain and my loss, i suppose. it was one of the best i've seen, although mjp's is even a little cleaner.

You hear that everyone? this one is cleaner!

Jesus christ, pull the trigger already!

;)

mjp,

Don't forget. I get the commission on that sale, not HIM. Wedding or not!

He is moving into my territory with the shilling here...

ha!

Bill

"very small crease to rear cover that I can see but not feel. A blind buy could probably feel it. Their fingertips are very sensitive."

mjp: that's perfect. I catalog used/rare books all day every Saturday and have always wondered how to describe those see 'em but can't feel 'em creases. I call them "very light crease" or "slight bend" but yours is better. A bend, to my mind, being where the surface of the paper isn't broken and crinkly, but simply takes a different direction there due to being bent. Hey, can you tell a book to get bent? Sniff, sniff... let me see that binding.

Shit, I forgot to note what the bindings smell like. I may have to go edit the post again (there, now I've completely blown the chance to sell to anyone who doesn't get that inside joke, my work here is done).

I really should be a book grader, but the pay is lousy and and I have a woman and (now) two dogs to feed, so I can't just switch jobs on a whim.

But at least you'd know what you were getting with me. None of this "good/very good (meaning: only run over by one car)" shit.

Bugger. I was going to buy your Hollywood, but I want one that smells of elderberries and resignation.

The search continues.

Precisely.

Except when the Santa Anas blow, then it smells like the real Hollywood, and no one wants to smell that.

I can hardly wait for the Icelandic whorehouse aromas to waft through my curtains at night. Along side that hot sweaty bindery guy smell.

I'm practicing my deep breathing in anticipation.:D
Thanks mjp you made my day.

oh oh .... I think I'm getting a whiff of them now.....
(breathing in very deeply)
Sweeet...

I'm gonna have good dreams tonight.:D

I picked up my package yesterday at the post office. The guy at the post office said there has been a funny smell in there ever since it arrived.

Thanks mjp.

It was probably the combination of binding smells. Taken individually, they are all unique and mostly enjoyable in their own way. But when certain titles are combined they can appear to be toxic.

Little known fact: when all BSP titles are lined up on a shelf chronologically, the combined scent is what they* say JESUS' neck smells like. The clean, after-bath JESUS, not the sweaty, wandering-in-the-desert JESUS.

*You know, those who have died and come back. If you believe in heaven. Or BSP.

Little known fact: when all BSP titles are lined up on a shelf chronologically, the combined scent is what they* say JESUS' neck smells like. The clean, after-bath JESUS, not the sweaty, wandering-in-the-desert JESUS. ...

That's the science behind Christian Science.

I considered the Christian Science angle, but I don't know enough about how they related to scents to comment.

Oddly, but perhaps not surprisingly, all the best stuff is still available. If I were you, I'd take a close look at that Post Office first. I'm not kidding when I say it's in brand new condition. Someone is going to be a happy puppy if they pick that up.

Put it this way; it's the only book on my shelf in a plastic bag wrapper. And I even have it facing spine-in so as not to risk any possible sunning to the perfect cover.

Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back