Friendly Advice by Bukowski - STUDENTFILM (1 Viewer)

Hi! I am the director of a studentfilm called "FRIENDLY ADVICE BY BUKOWSKI". We've visualized Bukowski's poem "Friendly advice to a lot of young men
ir
".

Link to the shortmovie:

Enjoy!

Thank you very much,
Steven Prael (from Germany)

I like the video a lot Steven, I was thinking it's very cinematic - sort of Seven and Secret Window (not being rude there).
It's scarily slick and professional. Best visual rendition of a Bukowski poem I've seen - for me (not that I've seen many).Really liked it.

ps - Students scare me these days.Hope you are not so sophisticated that you don't spend your weekend getting rat arsed and very ill on cider and pernod at shitty student digs parties, it's the best fun you will ever have. It's all downhill from then, middle age dinner parties suck - big time:wb:.

Last edited:
As a "film" it's banal. As an homage, self-aggrandizing. You are what we in Brooklyn call a hipster, and accordingly, all hipsters must die.
The audio portion was great, however.

Bah! Humbug skiroom and it's very banal to use the word banal all the time and I have it on good authority that the new word for hipster is Gimp if you must know (as in someone slavishly trying to be hip and cool).:wb:

Last edited:
I've used that word (b###l) exactly twice, which apparently in your mind is "all the time." But that you care enough to keep track of my word usage is really sweet.

Hang on your every word skiroom!:)
The reason "all the time" is in italics was because it was a joke by me - that's all, of course you don't use it all the time.
But just get back to the video - I do like it, I'm amazed that a young guy of 21yrs produces something like that. As a representation of a young man's fears and frustrations as he faces adulthood. But what more do you want in such a short film? I thought it was good, but I'm no critic or expert.

As a Father of a film student (not this one), I say 'well done'. You've produced an excellent short film to illustrate this poem. It might not be the most original of ideas, but then I don't believe you claim that.

For his film course my son has had to produce films based on specific things, such as 'make a music video for an existing track' or 'make a film based on a single word' or 'make a TV commercial for an existing product' - so it's just about delivering good work within certain perimeters.

Anyway, I liked your video.

Incidentally, I have a beard and wear glasses. Sometimes I ride a bicycle. Hope the rest of you can overlook these failings.

I LOVED the film. I don't think it's "hipster" at all. I didn't like the garbage commercialization "fashion" stuff that I saw recently - but this film shows depth and thoughtfulness, in my opinion. Evidently there is at least one fellow Buk fan out there who has a different opinion. Oh well. As it has oft' been said, "one man's pussy is another man's handjob." So be it.

I liked the short film. It shows an interesting reading of the poem. My critique would be that I feel Bukowski's ironic tone gets a bit smothered by the apotheose-like fire at the end; like adding a drumroll to underline the punchline.

Thanks for the feedback so far, I do appreciate it!

@Skygazer: Well, I think, according to your defintition of having fun as a student, you can be proud of many students today! We are still as fucked up as we should be in this time, I guess. :)
@skiroomalum: Thanks for your constructive critique. :hmh:
@hank solo: Yes, these perimeters were real. We always had to balance between sticking to the poem and showing our own thoughts to the spoken words. And yes, we are not at all claiming that this is the most original film about B. - in fact, for us, it was the very first time focusing on Bukowski!
@Gary E. : Thanks again, I've also written you on Vimeo.
@HugOK: That's a good point. I think our interpretation is just not that "ironic" as yours, we took him very serious and wanted to present him as the unreachable god of poetry. I can understand that not everyone agrees with our point of view, but after all that lies in the essence of an interpretation, doesn't it?

Thanks for the feedback so far, I do appreciate it!

@Skygazer: Well, I think, according to your defintition of having fun as a student, you can be proud of many students today! We are still as fucked up as we should be in this time, I guess. :)
(kinda new it from the young students that pass through our unit and very relieved I am too, that you are em "enjoying life").
I was amazed at your film and being young guys/?girls too, expected the big bling at the end. Look forward to your first blockbuster!
Congrats and good luck.

it's very cinematic [...] scarily slick and professional. I was amazed at your film...
What you were likely amazed with was the rapid advances being made in image making technology. Handing most of today's film students a 16mm camera and a razor blade to cut something together would result in a very different "film." I put that in quotes since I assume this isn't a film at all but rather a video. Not that it matters, just saying you can't compare the "quality" of a student film from a few decades ago to one made today. It's like comparing the pyramids to a skyscraper in Dubai.

As for looking like a hipster, that seems to have become unavoidable if you're of a certain age. Looking like and acting like are two different things though, as we should all try to remember from the hippie (and more recently "grunge") days. A lot of people looked like they lived on communes and bit fleas off of each other, but in reality they lived in their parents basements and took the occasional shower. Just like today's hipster.

@mjp: You are right, students nowadays have access to technology that enables them to get brilliant images without the need to understand how to use the tool which takes the photo/video. Nonetheless there are differences in the results, since it is still possible to achieve that certain "extra"-good look (btw I am not claiming this for our movie above). As it has always been, films should be judged by their content first. When you say it's rather a video than a film, could you explain what makes the difference between both, in your opinion?

When you say it's rather a video than a film, could you explain what makes the difference between both, in your opinion?
Well that's a funny question. I wouldn't say the definition of "film" is necessarily my opinion.

I'm sure you know what film is. Photo emulsion on some kind of long strip of thin plastic with little holes along each edge? If you're not sure of the difference between film and video (and I guess now electronic images), you should get a refund from the school you attended.

Kudos to you, Steve, not only for your film - but for your thoughtful responses.
Well that's a funny question. I wouldn't say the definition of "film" is necessarily my opinion.
The line is becoming quite blurred (no pun intended) between "video" and "film," MJP. With the newer video technology coming into play, it is becoming increasingly more difficult to tell the difference. Furthermore, I agree with Steve that what counts is CONTENT. There is plenty of 35mm "film" out there that SUCKS. Just sayin'.

I don't know what the hell I am talking about here! so a bit scared: but film is /was celluloid??? and video isn't - that's it, I'm exhausted.
Also I guess Steven knows that the video he makes at 21yrs gets a different reception from the one he comes back with at the grand old age of 25yrs - just sayin'
... as we should all try to remember from the hippie (and more recently "grunge") days. A lot of people looked like they lived on communes and bit fleas off of each other, but in reality they lived in their parents basements and took the occasional shower. Just like today's hipster.
Noooooooo, Not I... I lived in student digs, but fought my way to the shower - daily - survival of the fittest.

I'm sure you know what film is. Photo emulsion on some kind of long strip of thin plastic with little holes along each edge? If you're not sure of the difference between film and video (and I guess now electronic images), you should get a refund from the school you attended.
@mjp: Yes, I do know what the technical difference is. It's my fault: since we also have a different meaning for the word "film" in Germany (which goes beyond the pure technical aspect), I've confused those two, sorry. I guess I am not yet used to talk about this topic in a different language :)

Also I guess Steven knows that the video he makes at 21yrs gets a different reception from the one he comes back with at the grand old age of 25yrs - just sayin'
Yes indeed! I started making movies about a year ago, so I consider myself a total beginner (which is cool because I can make a lot of errors and nobody cares) :hmh:

I wouldn't have commented on this thread at all, but for the fact that I believe @Skygazer is mistaking technology for talent, and comparing the @SteveP "film" to older student films she may have seen, that didn't have the benefit of digital manipulation.

Technology changes much more quickly than language. But a digital motion picture is not, strictly speaking, a film. We call every moving picture a film now (we used to call them movies), and as I said in my first comment, "not that it matters."

We shouldn't even be seeing this "film." Student films are meant to be seen by students and instructors, not commented on by the public. It's only technology (again) that puts immature creative things like this in front of too many eyes. I don't think it benefits kids like Steve here to have a bunch of old farts arguing semantics around his work.

I respect your opinion, but to my defense I would like to say that I haven't posted the movie somewhere, but in a Bukowski forum. Since the movie is about him, I don't see why only my teachers in filmschool (who do not know as much about Bukowski as many people in this forum do) should be able to judge it.

It is not "about him," it is about your interpretation of his words. There's nothing to "judge" as far as Bukowski is concerned, since he's reading the poem himself. Or as @skiroomalum said, "the audio portion is great."

The rest of it is your creativity or skill as a filmmaker, both of which, I would again gently suggest, are immature. You might not mind having this critiqued right now, but ten years from now you might feel differently. Consider that possibility, that's all.

It doesn't matter what others who are not invested in you as a person or a student or a filmmaker, think about your work.

Have watched the video again, in case I'm not seeing something.
But what I do see, still, is a very good visual representation of Bukowski poem.
Firstly, yes there's Bukowski's words - excellent
Secondly I like the background music and the visuals - very cinematic, does it achieve it's aim - yes and it is appropriate to the level of maturity of the film maker. Would expect different in an older student. Wasn't expecting D W Griffith.
Do they use the technology available to them to achieve it yes and why not? Mr Griffith would approve.
But I guess he will have to get used to different opinions positive and negative as he moves forward.
But I liked it.

Do they use the technology available to them to achieve it yes and why not?
I don't think I ever suggested they shouldn't. You'd have to be stupid to lug around a 16mm camera now and process and cut film. For what? The vintage feel? To experience vintage suffering and frustration?

Hi! I am the director of a studentfilm called "FRIENDLY ADVICE BY BUKOWSKI".
Almost each and every person who came here chiefly to shill present their opera/movie/ballet/song/painting/book/performance/flower arrangement based on Bukowski & his work were spat on, so (judging by the reactions, since I didn't see your video) I reckon you fared quite well.

P.S. You got an incredibly good reaction from (proverbially grumpy) mjp. You should be proud.

btw. this short-clip (note how elegant I spare the controverial word "film"!) will be shown at the opening of our Exhibition in Sulzbach-Rosenberg this Thursday.
just sayin'

showing-film-at-reading.jpg

I'm convinced this guy *could* make it. I saw the title and thought this was going to be a classic Charlie-Foxtrot for him.
I didn't watch the film, I rarely click the links. I like the poem, however.
Congrats kid. You dodged a big-ass .50 caliber bullet this time. I hope your luck translates into the real world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back