girl in a miniskirt reading the bible outside my window (2 Viewers)

01 Sunday. I am eating a
02 grapefruit. church is over at the Russian
03 Orthodox to the
04 west.
05 she is dark
06 of Eastern descent,
07 large brown eyes look up from the Bible
08 then down. a small red and black
09 Bible, and as she reads
10 her legs keep moving, moving,
11 she is doing a slow rhythmic dance
12 reading the Bible ...
13 long gold earrings;
14 2 gold bracelets on each arm,
15 and it's a mini-suit, I suppose,
16 the cloth hugs her body,
17 the lightest of tans is that cloth,
18 she twists this way and that,
19 long young legs warm in the sun ...

20 there is no escaping her being
21 there is no desire to ...
22 my radio is playing symphonic music
23 that she cannot hear
24 but her movements coincide exactly
25 to the rhythms of the
26 symphony ...

27 she is dark, she is dark
28 she is reading about God.

29 I am God.

I have a pretty good idea what this poem is about but just to make sure can anybody tell me what you might think it be about?

Welcome hell,

Then tell us first what the poem is about, since you have a pretty good idea about it.

That's what I was thinking, Ponder.

hellpopeyesdemon... we'll show you ours if you show us yours!

I'm still trying to figure out what your name means, forget the poem.

hell pope yes demon
hell popeyes demon

The possibilities confuse me.

hi.

hi. long time listener, first time caller.

can you tell us what the numbers mean?

thanks.
i'll take my answer on the air.

-
04EA619E62BA6818D65FF36E102F5703.png

I have a pretty good idea what this poem is about but just to make sure can anybody tell me what you might think it be about?

Could it be about a girl in a miniskirt reading the bible outside someone's window?

Just a wild guess.

I'm still trying to figure out what your name means, forget the poem.

hell pope yes demon
hell popeyes demon

The possibilities confuse me.

I yam what I yam and that's what I yam!

I think it deals with the crossroads where the spirit meets with the beast and you can guess who is the beast. Then really, you could say it was how he'd like to do her and he'd tell her what he had to to get her.
Or maybe he was just having a bad reaction to the grapefruit. The grapefruit symbolizing a conflict in his life or represents his acne vulgaris. It was a warm day- don't you get it it's easy. DUH!:rolleyes:

The numbers just came from a website that had the text from the book and I guess they typed the numbers along with it whoever did it any how. The only real problem I have with the whole poem is the "I am God" part. I think its pretty much about him wanting to desire the girl but those last 3 words are what get me. Sorry for not specifying what the main problem was with the poem!

The numbers just came from a website that had the text from the book

ahhh.

hellpopeyesdemon said:
The only real problem I have with the whole poem is the "I am God" part. I think its pretty much about him wanting to desire the girl but those last 3 words are what get me.

70. So, if he wants, desires the woman, do you think he wishes she desires him?

61. Think of her reading about God, wondering about God.
07. Where is the reciprocation for her in this life?

43. So. Bukowski desires the woman.
16. The Woman Desires God.

70. God does not reciprocate.
52. The Woman does not reciprocate.

34. God does not know the woman is there.
25. The Woman does not know Bukowski is there.

29. Bukowski is God.

something to think about

We are God,
I do not know when the poem was written
But being god was a very hip thing to say among
the hippies in the late sixties.
Back to the earth, being part of it all,
being God, being one.

34. God does not know the woman is there.
25. The Woman does not know Bukowski is there.

29. Bukowski is God.

something to think about
Quite brilliant, Father Luke. There was some plaque in my grandmother's house when I was a little kid that called Jesus "the unseen guest at every meal, the unseen listener to every conversation." So Bukowski in the poem is kinda like Jesus. (I always found that concept to be pretty creepy, by the way, somebody spying on me, even if it was a deity.)

Being the huge fan of literary criticism that I am, however, I suspect something deeper than this. What if:

14. Bukowski is going through a period of drink-induced dyslexia (lysdexia) in the poem.
93. The namow does ton kwno Buwoksik is there.
33. Kowbuski is Dog.
HIKE. Dog si nam's bets freind.

There, now, that makes sense. Thank you.

You have good taste, it's a fine poem. Appears in Mockingbird Wish Me Luck and you can also find it collected in Run with the Hunted.

By the way, mjp has done a phenomenal job with the works database on this site. You can find out where almost anything Bukowski wrote was published there. Check it out, and welcome!

What an excellent poem. I don't remember ever reading that one. It's about the girl, and about how the girl makes him feel. Life and poetry needn't be any more complicated than that, in my opinion.

Jen

did Bukowski read Nietzche? [...] maybe i'm spelling it incorrectly.

yes, Nietzsche.

He read him at several times and also writes about it. Since the 3 books of letters by BSP have an index, it's quite easy to find his mentionings of Nietzsche.

He also liked Schopenhauer.
Read 'a funny guy' in 'You get so alone'!

I once held an address at the German Schopenhauer-Society about parallels between Buk, Nietzsche and Schop. They liked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back