Good Day From the Rockies! (1 Viewer)

DirtyJersey13

The Cruelty of Loveless Love
Good day fellow Buk fans!!! If I hadn't stumbled across a poem by Bukowski a few years back I would most likely still hate poetry since most of it seems to be far from reality. I love the meat school poetry and how its raw and in your face and makes no excuses for itself. I just moved to the Rockies from New Jersey, and I feel that Buk would have fit in well with all the hard edged people of New Jersey.

It's a term for poets such as Steve Richmond and the likes. I like it too, it gives a clear vision of what is meant.

Who besides Richmond would you say is in the Meat School? I've never heard the term, so I hesitate to suggest any possibilities.

Who besides Richmond would you say is in the Meat School?

Bukowski was considered a 'Meat Poet' in the mid-to-late 60s. Douglas Blazek was another one. I'm not deep enough into this to name more, but I guess the whole bunch around 'Ole' and the other mimeo-mags would fit.

Its hard to truly define the meat school of poetry, let alone poets that would be considered so. Most would say that Bukowski headed it, followed by Steve Richmond, who unfortunately never released many collections. Hitler Painted Roses is a great one though. Some would say that some poets from the Beat generation could be considered meat school poetry, with their simplistic style, as well as their masculine themes in many cases. Hell, I've even heard some people say that Plath could be one too, since some of her poems break traditional form and substance. Finally, one of the only female poets that I would certainly consider a meat school poet is Ann Menebroker, check her out if you havent yet.

Gerard, I've seen it as a Annie in a few places, but the work I have read is usually titled "Ann". Ever read Tiny Teeth, now that's some gritty stuff!

Thanks esart, I've been trying to put together an article on the Meat School of Poetry for awhile now, but finding concrete facts about the whole thing is harder than expected. It's similar to sub genres within music, since everyone has a different opinion on what defines each one and who should be included. One of these days I'll finish it though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back